“Un-Comfort Suites”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Marion
San Diego, California
“Un-Comfort Suites”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I'm sad to say that I can not recommend this hotel. I was very happy to find a reasonable rate for our one night stay and that the pictures online looked like a clean and fresh hotel. Upon arrival we found the exterior to look just as the pictures on the Comfort Suites website--to our relief b/c you know how that can turn out sometimes...

When we first got to our room we were a little disappointed b/c the rooms were out-dated. But for the reasonable rate we got, no big deal--the room looked clean. However it did have a weird smell...after being in the room for a few minutes we got used to it so we dropped off the luggage and headed to our relative's house for dinner.

After we got back and went to sleep that's where the discomfort started... As another reviewer said the beds were old...so old that it sounded like it screamed in pain every time we turned, moved or got out of bed. I understand how money can get short to fix things like the peeling wallpaper border and replace carpets but one of the main reasons you come to a hotel is to sleep! Maybe our room was one of the older or more frequently used rooms (stay away from room 111!) so that's why the mattress was so noisy.

On the plus side, we were worried about possible noise b/c there was a wedding the day we were there but we didn't encounter any noise issues other than our mattress = ).

As far as customer service goes, I feel it was not as great as I would have like but I never encountered any rudeness. The woman that checked us in was cordial. At check out time, I went to the desk b/c I had a question about an extra $1.50 on our bill--list as "Safe w/ltd Warranty". When I asked the lady (different than check in)about it, she defensely said, "It was on the paper you signed." So I asked to see it and sure enough, I had not read all that I had initialled! At check-in, the woman said to initial for my rate, give my car info, initial again and sign at the bottom. Really? A safe fee? Yes, it was my fault for not reading all that I initialled for (how did I turn into one of "those" people?!) but it's a silly fee...especially for a one night stay on a safe I didn't use! Just tack it into the room rate instead of nickle and diming. And a better tactic for the front desk in explaining would be "I'm sorry, yes it's a silly fee. I wish we didn't have to charge it but it's out of my hands". That would get you a lot farther than a defensive attitude...at least w/ most people I think.

Overall, you can tell that they are doing their best to keep an older property as clean as they can but due to that horrible, uncomfortable mattress I wouldn't stay here again. An air mattress at the relative's house would have been better. And don't be like me, read what you are signing = ).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SD619Girl
GeneralManager026, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
I deeply regret your dissatisfaction with your recent stay at our hotel. We strive to provide award winning service and it is apparent that we did not provide that to you. The feedback that you provided is appreciated because we know it will only make us better.

We hope that you will give us an opportunity to impress you in the future when your travels bring you back to Marion, IN.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

This hotel was terrible. Even for a small town there are things to be expected, especially with a national brand such as Comfort Suites. The rooms were terribly outdated and ours smelled very musty. The bed was very uncomfortable and you could tell the mattresses were very old. The comforter in our room had what appeared to be blood stains on it.
The pool was very disgusting, you literally could not see the bottom of it, it was foggy and dirty. The paint on the stairs to the pool was chipping off and there were pieces of it floating in the pool.
The breakfast was okay at best. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Hampton Inn down the road.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Carm2226
GeneralManager026, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
I am concerned about the problems you experienced at our hotel during you recent visit. I want to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal for our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it is disappointing to learn that you are unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated
Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

- a great location
- good rooms
- we enjoyed our overnight stay

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are glad you were happy with your stay and the services that we provided for you. We like to personally thank you for your review and want you to let us know of any services we can help provide you with in the future. Our company prides itself on customer service and we look forward to seeing you again hopefully in the near future. We are proud to have your business and we wanted to let you know that we appreciate all the time you spent working on that review. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

This hotel was certainly "no frills." Although the in-room decorations were nothing short of ugly the room itself was clean and sufficiently comfortable. The hotel hallways were loud, particularly since we had a room adjacent to the breakfast area. The continental breakfast selection led us to investigate the local fast food locations. Although this might be the best hotel given the out-of-the-way location, I would not stay here if I did not have to.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westerville, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for my brother in laws wedding. The hotel is okay, a little old it seemed, but in pretty good shape. One couple in our group arrived to find their bed on cement blocks, and unbalanced at that. They reported this to the front desk, who said maintenance would be around to fix it, and come check out time (2 days later), noone had been there yet. The staff was unbelievably rude!!! We arrived late on Thursday and went straight to bed. On Friday morning, I told the housekeeper in the hallway what room we were in, and that we did not need service, just 2 extra towels. He insisted that I give him our "dirties" in order to receive 2 more. I explained that we had no "dirties", we just arrived but only had 2 towels in the room, and needed 2 more. He refused to give them to me, and said that I would have to go to the Front Desk for them. Saturday morning, the waffle maker needed to be sprayed with nonstick spray (I know this because I work in hotels, and when the waffle sticks to either side of the griddle, and splits in half, that means it's time for some spray), I asked the night auditor for spray and he just stared at me. I told him I could spray it myself, if he could provide me with the spray, at which time he informed me that "You are not suppose to spray it all the time". I asked him if the waffle was suppose to rip in half, and stick to the griddle...finally, he came to assist. On Saturday evening, after the wedding reception, my husband was in the lobby, and the floor had obviously just been mopped (wet floor & wet floor sign). A woman slipped on the floor, and my husband helped her up. Afterward, he looked at the Front Desk person (because they did not seem to acknowledge the fallen woman), and before my husband had a chance to say anything the attendant said "We just mopped the floor", my husband replied "I see that", and the employee snapped "Well, if you hadn't spilled beer clear down it!". My husband replied that he had not had a drink in 2 hours, and certainly not since we had been back at the hotel. I encountered 2 nice staff members, throughout our entire 4 day visit. One was a younger, short-dark haired girl, with pretty shiney eyeshadow. And the other was a younger, housekeeper, gentleman, who held the door open for me on Saturday morning. He also serviced our room (213) later that morning, and happily provided us with fresh towels. All and all, it really seemed that the staff was bothered by having to do their jobs, and certainly have no clue about customer service. I DO NOT recommend this hotel!!!

• Liked — We had someplace to sleep, nice business center and fitness room.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Livonia, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for one night after a long drive on our way home.

The hotel was located about 5 miles from I-69 on a main road and it was easy to find. The outside appearance looked clean and modern.

The room was very good size with average standard bedding.

Maintenance seem to be lacking as we found a few things not working or broken in our room.

The worst part was the "deluxe" continental breakfast. If it wasn't for the fresh, hot waffles, you would have been better off going to a fast-food place in the morning.

We would definitely look for an alternative lodging choice next time.

• Liked — Nothing to brag about - get your sleep and get out!
  • Disliked — Deluxe continental breakfast was sub-standard.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Columbiana, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

We booked the very last room available in Marion, Indiana. It was a queen with additional amenities of a small frig, microwave, pull out sofa bed, jacuzzi tub. The room was nice, seemed clean, the jacuzzi tub needed some caulking and you had to climb into the jacuzzi to take a shower. Several light bulbs were burned out. For the price it was fine. I think to compete with the Hampton up the street, they should do the new linen thing with the duvets, extra thick mattress pads, lighten up the room a little. However, since it's a college town sometimes they don't have to have any extras due to the limited number of rooms available in the town. The staff were very nice and the continental breakfast was perfect since the restaurant nearby was not! We waited until we got back to our hometown to eat our dinner!

• Liked — Convenience and it was the only room available!
  • Disliked — The room seemed dark, dated. Jacuzzi tub needed some fresh caulk.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marion
Hampton Inn Marion
#3 of 3 in Warren
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Warren

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!