“Okay hotel, but not worth the money!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Madison
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed February 12, 2011

This hotel was just okay...I was dissapointed that it wasn't closer to historic Madison and I really thought it wasn't worth the price. Our biggest complaint was that we did not get ANY sleep. We were on the second floor (room 234) and it sounded like there was a bowling alley above us. Every time I would manage to doze off it would sound like an elephant traipsing around upstairs. The breakfast was okay...not as many healthy choices as I would have liked. Pool looked dirty. I definately will book elsewhere when I return. I was really expecting more with this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shifty_travels

Reviewed February 12, 2011

In my younger life I was in convention sales for Hyatt & Hilton, so I know what a hotel can be. These days I travel small towns and stay in less expenive hotels. My cleints are asked to recommend a holel that is clean and inexpensive, so I don't expect much.

But, when I arrived at the Holiday Inn Express, it was very different! The lobby was bright and clean. The front desk clerk, Alyce, was extremely pleasant, charming, and a delight.
Not only was everything clean, but it seemed to sparkle.

The room was quiet, spacious, well equipped, and comfortable. There were no lingering smells. I'm a light sleeper and seldom get much sleep the first night in s strange location. Yet, here, I slept through the whiole night and was amazed when the alarm went off!

Normally I skip the breakfast bar due to questionable menu and cleanliness. This one was different.There was an attendant who made sure I had everything I needed. The food was fresh and tasty. The area was clean and inviting. Even the coffee was good. I didn't want to leave.

In the lobby, the staff was cleaning the baseboards and seem to take pride in doing so. Just imagine that!

While there, say hello to the morning manager, Missy! You'll find her to be friendly, professional, and a wealth of information. And, if you need them, the indoor pool and exercise rooms are really cool, clean, and inviting.

The only CON: the hotel is not located in a city I frequent.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2010

From the moment we arrived the staff was warm,welcoming and cheerful from the desk manager to the laundry staff! The hotel has beautiful furnishings, a lovely pool room off the main lobby and the breakfast bar had everything you could want. Historic Madison, Ind. and Clifty Falls State Park are very close; a variety of restaurants are near by making this a perfect Birthday gift .

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed here during a visit to Clifty Falls State Park. The hotel was very clean & well kept. The staff was very informative & the price was great too. I will certainly stay here the next time I visit Madison!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at this Holiday Inn Express twice and have found it to be clean and comfortable--nothing fancy but entirely adequate. During our most recent stay, the staff people we encountered--with the exception of the woman who serviced the breakfast area--were particularly nice and friendly.
My one real complaint: Our recent stay coincided with Madison's annual tour of historic homes and with homecoming at Hanover College, located a few miles from Madison--and rates at the Holiday Inn Express seemed very high, both in comparison to other lodging in Madison and for the quality of the hotel. Following two nights at the Holiday Inn Express, we spent another two nights at a true luxury hotel, which cost just $20 per night more than the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Great staff, nice clean rooms. Ended up here after we had another place in Madison booked that was very unacceptable. It was a pleasant surprise!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Tried to book online but Holiday Inn's site had a problem and wouldn't let me so I called the hotel directly. Got set up with a whirlpool room quickly. Upon arrival fast, friendly check-in. The king room was very small due to the larger tub but that's OK. What wasn't was the horrible noise when the A/C came on. Asked for another room like it. Desk lady said she'd move me and upgrade me. Ended up with a big suite! THANKS!

Anyway, big living room with gas fireplace, TV, sink, full sized refrigerator that was stuck on and froze up so not very cold. Separate bedroom with TV and DVD and king bed. Huge bath with jetted tub as desired, separate shower. A/C in each room, both noisy but not so bad as to keep me from sleeping like the first room. Both TVs worked fine, would have been nice to have a remote for the DVD player, also many would not be able to figure out how to get the picture up. Bed was comfy, tub was great. Wireless internet worked but slow.

Breakfast was typical, had eggs & sausage plus usual cereal, bagels, etc. All staff I met were very friendly. Place was clean everywhere.

Rooms are fairly pricey at regular rates and other than the beautiful suite for a room price, probably not worth it with the Best Western and Comfort Inn for less. Last time I stayed at the BW, it was quite a bit less though not quite as nice.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Comfort Inn Madison
Best Way Inn
Best Way Inn
#6 of 7 in Madison
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Scottsburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Madison? Share your experiences!