“Pretty Dang Good for State Park Inn Restaurant.”
Review of Clifty Inn

Clifty Inn
Ranked #7 of 73 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We only went here for breakfast buffet, so review is limited to that only.

Better than average breakfast buffet, the biscuits and gravy were very good, sausage as well. Eggs not so much, but they did offer to make some fresh, any way we wanted. French Toast was also very good,

Coffee was some of the best I've had, strong enough for me, but not so much that wife didn't like the taste. Great coffee, straight black.

Service staff were friendly, a little slow on refills, but not enough to make you not want to return. We'll be back again!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I chose this restaurant because of the reputation of its fried chicken, and because I wanted to see the park. Today was a no-fee day at the gate, which is probably good, because it would have dissuaded me from trying the place. I chose the Sunday buffet for $12.99. At that, I think it was worth slightly less, but then finding a Sunday buffet for less than $20 is something of a miracle these days.

The fried chicken was okay. It was not the best I've ever had, but not the worst, either. There were several options on the Sunday buffet, including ribs (okay) and prime rib (meh). The salad bar was good, and the desserts excellent.

My waitress, Melissa, went way above and beyond for me. I told her I'd been hoping to try the famous Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie, but there wasn't any out on the buffet. She snagged me the very last piece in the kitchen, and it was delicious. Amazing! The recipe is available in a booklet in the gift shop for $1.99 - you better believe I bought it.

Best of all, the restaurant faces a bank of windows that overlooks the Ohio River. It was a gray, cloudy day, but I imagine on a clear day the view would be breathtaking. Even as meh as the day was, it was still a good sight. The lodge itself has plenty of places to sit and relax, including a roaring fireplaces, and overall it has a lovely rustic atmosphere that makes me reluctant to leave.

1  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had an excellent waiter on one occassion so that may have tempered my feelings. They have great fried biscuits, and other typical state park food, but don't often have the buffet (which I feel is most of the state park's downfalls), so that is good. Decent food, not terribly expensive and not often crowded.

1  Thank homebodyIllinois
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My first exposure to State Park food was growing up in the 60's in Illinois. Illinois state government had honed its culinary skills entertaining legions of prisoners. Applying those skills to its parks resulted in horrors; patrons were dissuaded from ever repeating the mistake.

So I visited Clifty Falls Park to take in the views as light was fading on a nice day since I was already nearby. Famished by the time I finished, I decided to experiment with the restaurant, located in the park hotel, just as a learning experience.

The place is modern, clean, and decorated - there is no suggestion that the place is a mere campground, which was how I remembered Illinois park facilities fifty years ago. A dinner buffet and salad bar were available but not selected. I ordered the sauteed shrimp with coleslaw and mixed vegetables. The coleslaw came first and was excellent, fresh and authentic. The shrimp were jumbo variety, not the inferior fantail usually encountered, served in herb butter, tasted great but if the shrimp count was raised from six to eight it would have been better. The mixed vegetables were very good quality and unadorned, the flavor of the carrots, cauliflower, and beans was enough.

The bread basket arrived before the meal but decided to save it for dessert. There were two warm plain dinner rolls with a serving of good apple butter AND two warm brown sugar coated items that could only be dessert. Service was friendly but unsophisticated. The price was more than fair. Visited on March 7 and on that day park admission was free - don't know if that is true summers and weekends.

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

This is a typical state park restaurant, although after traveling the country, I have never been forced to pay to go to a restaurant. They won't validate or refund entrance fees for people coming to eat at the restaurant.

2  Thank madison1960