“A great way to spend a few days”
Review of Clifty Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madison
Clifty Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Madison
Franklin, IN
“A great way to spend a few days”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

In December 2012 we went on our second annual December visit to Clifty Inn. 2011 was a 2 night stay, 2012 a 4 night stay. The state park inns have a winter week night special every year, pay for 1 night get 1 night free, 2 nights get 2 nights free, Sunday through Thursday nights. Since we were only paying 50% we opted for one of the suites. December is a great time to visit the park. You are rolling the dice on weather but there are no crowds on the trails or in the area. While the food is not fancy it is very tasty and at a reasonble price. Every morning a flock of wild turkeys would come up near the dining room windows as we were having breakfast. The rooms are nicely furnished and the queen size bed was very comfortable. The tub and the shower are oversized giving plenty of room to stretch out. The suite has a small "dining" area although room service is not available. The table made it easy to sit and play games as well during relaxing family time. Free wifi service is there although the speed in the evenings is slow since that is when they do all the business related downloads. Typically within an hour it sped up again. Plenty to do in the area within easy driving distance although in the winter many places are closed on Mondays. Next December we will be back again.

Room Tip: Park side suite actually would be better labeled parking lot side suite although noise was never an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We can echo what has already been said. Clean comfortable facility, great in-park location with a nice view, nice decor throughout and a friendly staff. This was our first visit and we will return. The only negative was the fact that no alcohol was served in the restaurant but I think this is an Indiana DNR thing. We hope that policy changes some day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phil521
1nd1ana
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Expectations are never super high for the State Park Inns as they are run by Indiana and the local staff has little autonomy over decor, menu,training, etc. They are all a little tired and worn, but they are ususally acceptable for the price and the settings are wonderful. However, upon checking in we realized our room did not have the usual toiletry items and more glaringly had a used coffee filter clogging the sink. There was a small amount of mildew on the bath tile and the caulking has deteriorated badly. The next day, we recieved no housekeeping whatsoever. The evening clerk was only able to provide a fresh set of towels as the housekeeping staff had left for the day. Also unacceptable, and more upsetting to us was the fact that the hottub promoted in all their current print advertising is out of service; the staff informing us that it had been broken for a LONG time and will not be fixed (it has been permanently decked over with flooring). The dirt on the dining room ceiling is also disturbing. Problems like these really have us questioning other aspects of this property that at first glance seems so pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank 1nd1ana
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 1, 2013

If I can, when I travel for business I try to find a hotel, inn or guesthouse that provide the convenience I need to focus on my work but one that also offers a uniquely pleasant experience. Clifty Inn fills that bill. Its staff is pleasant and nicely organized and the rooms are cozy, yet not cluttered (as some "cozy" inns have the tendancy to be). Breakfast doesn't begin until 8am, so it was a tight squeeze to fit it in before I had to leave to meet my client, but the server kindly and quickly got me my biscuits n gravy in time for me to get out on time. There is no room service, but one can order a meal to go at the dinning room cash register. I wandered the gift shop waiting for my meal to cook and then one of the servers found me and hand-delivered my meal. She was so kind to have sought me out with my packed freshly hot dinner. Overall, this isn't the best choice for a business trip if you're not flexible, but I'm glad I chose to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Clifty Inn is a better-than average place to stay at a moderate price. We stayed in a room with an Ohio River view in January, and the view was quite nice. The room was comfortable, and had its own little refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. The place was decorated well, and was clean and well-maintained. At this time of year, we had the place pretty much to ourselves, which was great for us. The only drawback is that the view includes a power station, which sometimes makes some noise that creeps into the room at night.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a river view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Although we are Hoosiers, we don't often go to Madison, IN. We looked up the Indiana DNR website and found their Winter Specials: two nights for a one night price Sunday through Thursday until March 1st. The accomodations were very nice and the decor of canoes, stuffed animals brought the outdoors inside even during a cold January stay. The staff was exceptionally pleasant, courteous and capable. Even the guests were considerate. Our patio unit overlooked the Ohio River. At night, the sparkling lights of Madison were a beautiful sight. Although too cold for us to hike, we did drive in after dark and saw several deer and glistening eyeballs looking into our headlights. It was a very relaxing two nights. I would strongly recommend it, particularly on the two for one nights.

Room Tip: Patio and rooms above overlooking the Ohio River make for a beautiful sight. Although barge traffic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Indiana
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We live near Indy and needed a getaway before Christmas. We booked a night for a riverview suite for Dec. 23 around Thanksgiving time. About a couple of weeks before our trip we decided we could stay on the 22nd also. When I checked the website the riverview suite was not avaliable. We decided to get a Parkside Suite and made reservations for that also. We arrived at the inn saturday afternoon and checked in. I informed the front desk staff we were here two nites in two different rooms. Lucky for us they had someone cancel and we were able to get the riverview room for both nights!
The suite was more than expected! Clean and comfy with a fantastic view! The powerplant is there yes and has been for all of my life. I can see it could bother some but wasnt a big deal for us. We did have a problem at first with the Hottub. We phoned the front desk and someone was there pronto. Turned out to be operator error as you have to hold the button some time to turn jets on, I give cudos to the staff for its fast attention to a problem!
This was my first time to stay at the inn, We will be back again this winter it was a great getaway!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mark W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Hillside Inn
Hampton Inn Carrollton
Hampton Inn Carrollton
#1 of 7 in Carrollton
Holiday Inn Express Carrollton

Been to Clifty Inn? Share your experiences!