Clifty Inn
$109
$78
$80
TripAdvisor
All reviewspower plantstate parkriver viewfried chickenohio riverrocking chairshiking trailsno elevatornature centerindoor poolbreakfast buffetplay gamespatio roombeautiful parknice gift shopnew wingbottom floor
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Expectations are never super high for the State Park Inns as they are run by Indiana and the local staff has little autonomy over decor, menu,training, etc. They are all a little tired and worn, but they are ususally acceptable for the price and the settings are wonderful. However, upon checking in we realized our room did not have the usual toiletry items and more glaringly had a used coffee filter clogging the sink. There was a small amount of mildew on the bath tile and the caulking has deteriorated badly. The next day, we recieved no housekeeping whatsoever. The evening clerk was only able to provide a fresh set of towels as the housekeeping staff had left for the day. Also unacceptable, and more upsetting to us was the fact that the hottub promoted in all their current print advertising is out of service; the staff informing us that it had been broken for a LONG time and will not be fixed (it has been permanently decked over with flooring). The dirt on the dining room ceiling is also disturbing. Problems like these really have us questioning other aspects of this property that at first glance seems so pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank 1nd1ana
Reviewed February 1, 2013

If I can, when I travel for business I try to find a hotel, inn or guesthouse that provide the convenience I need to focus on my work but one that also offers a uniquely pleasant experience. Clifty Inn fills that bill. Its staff is pleasant and nicely organized and the rooms are cozy, yet not cluttered (as some "cozy" inns have the tendancy to be). Breakfast doesn't begin until 8am, so it was a tight squeeze to fit it in before I had to leave to meet my client, but the server kindly and quickly got me my biscuits n gravy in time for me to get out on time. There is no room service, but one can order a meal to go at the dinning room cash register. I wandered the gift shop waiting for my meal to cook and then one of the servers found me and hand-delivered my meal. She was so kind to have sought me out with my packed freshly hot dinner. Overall, this isn't the best choice for a business trip if you're not flexible, but I'm glad I chose to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Clifty Inn is a better-than average place to stay at a moderate price. We stayed in a room with an Ohio River view in January, and the view was quite nice. The room was comfortable, and had its own little refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. The place was decorated well, and was clean and well-maintained. At this time of year, we had the place pretty much to ourselves, which was great for us. The only drawback is that the view includes a power station, which sometimes makes some noise that creeps into the room at night.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a river view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Although we are Hoosiers, we don't often go to Madison, IN. We looked up the Indiana DNR website and found their Winter Specials: two nights for a one night price Sunday through Thursday until March 1st. The accomodations were very nice and the decor of canoes, stuffed animals brought the outdoors inside even during a cold January stay. The staff was exceptionally pleasant, courteous and capable. Even the guests were considerate. Our patio unit overlooked the Ohio River. At night, the sparkling lights of Madison were a beautiful sight. Although too cold for us to hike, we did drive in after dark and saw several deer and glistening eyeballs looking into our headlights. It was a very relaxing two nights. I would strongly recommend it, particularly on the two for one nights.

Room Tip: Patio and rooms above overlooking the Ohio River make for a beautiful sight. Although barge traffic isn't romantic, it does show the vitality of the area. Overlooks are as nice as anywhere in Indiana.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We live near Indy and needed a getaway before Christmas. We booked a night for a riverview suite for Dec. 23 around Thanksgiving time. About a couple of weeks before our trip we decided we could stay on the 22nd also. When I checked the website the riverview suite was not avaliable. We decided to get a Parkside Suite and made reservations for that also. We arrived at the inn saturday afternoon and checked in. I informed the front desk staff we were here two nites in two different rooms. Lucky for us they had someone cancel and we were able to get the riverview room for both nights!
The suite was more than expected! Clean and comfy with a fantastic view! The powerplant is there yes and has been for all of my life. I can see it could bother some but wasnt a big deal for us. We did have a problem at first with the Hottub. We phoned the front desk and someone was there pronto. Turned out to be operator error as you have to hold the button some time to turn jets on, I give cudos to the staff for its fast attention to a problem!
This was my first time to stay at the inn, We will be back again this winter it was a great getaway!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple