“Great breakfast”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Chicago, Illinois
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great diner for breakfast. They had grits! And outdoor seating; near the road but down a ways so we couldn't hear too much. Very friendly service and better than average diner food. Did I say they have grits? Yum!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank ilovesandwiches2013

West Lafayette
“Satisfying Saturday breakfast”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The restaurant was busy mid-morning Saturday, but we were seated quickly and served promptly. The waitress was friendly and efficient, but I did notice a table of three waiting quite a while for their order. The "2+2+2" seemed a good value at $5.75 for 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 sausage links. My wife had 2 eggs, hash browns, toast for the same price. Sharing made for a satisfying breakfast. With drinks, the bill was $15.75. Food seemed good quality and a surprising treat was the toast, which was thicker than usual with a nice texture. Situated at the intersection of I-65 and a road leading to Zionsville, the outdoor seating won't get you much of a view. And as another reviewer mentioned, the atmosphere is nothing special, but with exposed beams and a country feel, I wouldn't call it a diner or a greasy spoon. I've been to Mickey's in St. Paul which is both, but that was still good food and an interesting dining experience. Also true, as mentioned, that the menu is large, lots of breakfast choices.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mack3065
Indianapolis
“Tasty "Mom-N-Dad" Breakfast Place”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've eaten at Flap Jack's a number of times in the past 4 years. Every time, the food has been excellent. Recommendations would be the gyro skillet or veggie skillet for breakfast, but be sure not to miss out on the restaurant's namesake, and order some flapjacks: Tasty, simple, and pleasing. If you leave hungry, it's your own fault.

The decor is "American Diner." This particular restaurant is actually a rennovated Burger King, which is easy to see once walking in. It's no-frills for the no-frills crowd.

The negative side usually has to do with service, as the restaurant is often very busy, but with limited wait staff (in this economy, it's understandable). Nonetheless, every waitress has been friendly and accurate with my order.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank hypshark
CEDAR RAPIDS
“Thought I would try something local vs the Denny's down the road”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I always go local whenever possible - always. In most cases it pays off - in this case it didn't. I was in Indiana recently visiting relatives and passed through Lebanon on the way. Flap-Jacks looked perfect for a great local breakfast. We entered the front door and looked around. There were several staff congregated at the dining counter but none seemed to notice we were there. We waited a minute or so and didn't see a seat yourself sign so went ahead and seated ourselves. After several looks to the counter from our chosen table, eventually one of the servers saw us and came over to give us water but no menus - those came a little while later.

After looking over the gigantic menu we focused in on the couple of breakfast pages (on the menu of a place called Flap-Jacks). Large menus are always a red flag but we still gave it a chance. After reading the massive menu and deciding, we waited longer than we would have liked... while watching the front of house congregated and again socializing at the counter. Due to experiences in many, many restaurants across the country this was a red flag also. We almost got up and went to Denny's because we were that hungry and knew what we would be buying there. At the moment we were grabbing our coats, a server showed up and we ordered. My friend decided on the namesake Flap-Jacks (pancakes) and I had a skillet.

After a not too long wait (kudos - there is the 1 star minimum I could give), he had pancakes that were wet and doughy, yet somehow burned on one side. He finished less than half. I had a skillet filled with undercooked hash browns and a healthy layer of grease. I finished less than half as well. My body told me that no matter how hungry I was, I was not to continue and I have to tell you, it was right. The rest of the day was not pleasant.

I know what a greasy spoon is and suspected as much with Flap-Jacks but what we experienced was a few miles in the rear-view mirror from a greasy spoon. Even at a greasy spoon you know what to expect. It was just bad and it tasted bad with the bonus of bad service. We paid quickly and got out. This review will probably never be read as there were mostly only locals there who were on a first name basis with the front of house. Should you (as a traveler) be savvy enough on this Internet thing and happen to read this...the Denny's is just down the road. I have never given Denny's a review but this review should be considered 5 stars for the Denny's Grand Slam that I wished I had in Lebanon, IN.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank InternetSoftwareGuru
Lebanon, Indiana
“Flap Jack is the correct name”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great food, good variety of sandwichs, main meals, ect. We eaten there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never had a bad meal. A lot of food for the price.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Susan M

Been to Flap Jack's? Share your experiences!