“Rural rarity”
Review of Parky's Smokehouse

Parky's Smokehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Parky's Smokehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 48 Restaurants in Lebanon
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Anderson Lane
Reviewed November 1, 2013

In any other setting this is a good BBQ joint. In rural Indiana, it's stupendous. Too many reviews below miss that context. Value for the money, friendly service, succulent BBQ cooked meats. Turkey not dry. So you get dinged a little more for better sides. The chipotle sauce is not for the faint of heart but that's why the sweet sauce is on the table. If this restaurant was near my house I would weigh 319 lbs. Great effort Mr. and Mrs. Parks.

There are newer reviews for Parky's Smokehouse

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had read a review of this place that said that if you can't smell smoke in a BBQ place, then the place isn't any good. Well, that statement was more or less correct. I travel a bit for work, and I've been all over the southeast (I live in Georgia too) and have tried REAL BBQ. This isn't that kind of place.
I ordered the chicken quarter with 1/4 rack of ribs. My sides were coleslaw and a "premium" side of chili. The waitress said that I had "sweet" BBQ sauce on the table, and the chili was a "sweet" chili. This should have tipped me off.
The chili was in fact sweet (why????? should chili be sweet). But it was obviously homemade, and had hugs chunks of bbq pork in it. However, it came out just a tick warmer then room temperature.
When she brought out my entree' plate there was a side of sauce on it. The waitress said that it was their bourbon glaze that they baste the chicken in. Want to guess if it was sweet or not? Answer: YES. VERY.
The ribs (ordered dry) were covered in a rub that was 75% sugar/brown sugar with spices. It was very sweet too.
I asked for two other sauces that they have. I got a side of their vinegear and their chipotle sauces (I skipped the mustard and cranberry versions).
Their "vinegar" based sauce tasted like it had some type of fruit puree liberally mixed in. It was sweet as well. I also tried their sweet BBQ sauce. It was as advertised: Sweet.
So, we had:
Sweet BBQ sauce
Sweet bourbon sauce that glazed the chicken
Sweet rib rub
Sweet coleslaw (mayonase based)
Sweet vinegar based sauce

I'm sure that their deserts are fantastic since they have so much sugar available back in the kitchen.

The food was tasty, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang...........lay off of the sugar people.

1  Thank garliclover101
Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a nice surprise for a luncheon stop on our way home from Tennessee. The pulled brisket sandwich was amazing and absolutely loved...loved the butter browns! Had a local brew that was on tap that went perfectly with my sandwich. Should we ever go this way again, we definitely will stop!

1  Thank Shessmarter
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We made a quick stop off the interstate between Indy and Chicago for some food and found this restaurant. Very friendly service and good bbq. I decided to write a review because of their butter browns! One of the best potato side dishes I've had to date! Cubed potatoes, covered in butter, cheese and bacon. You can not go wrong with these (unless you mind adding on about a pound in weight)! Definitely worth the stop just for the side!

2  Thank Dawson0749
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We always try to stop to eat at local places, and advertisements along the highway help make our decision. In this case, it was a Thursday night, and we saw the sign for Parky's. Feeling up for some barbecue, we stopped in. The decor was "family restaurant" and not "barbecue restaurant", but no matter, the waitstaff were courteous and prompt, and the food was good -- not the best barbecue in the world, don't get me wrong, but it hit the spot just where it needed to. I'd say, if you have a taste for ribs or chicken and you're headed down 65, it'll do the job.

1  Thank gswedberg57