“All Bark no bite”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in LaPorte
Lombard, United States
“All Bark no bite”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I received 2 calls (approximately 9 pm) to see if we (my wife and two "adult" children) were still coming to check in after there was confirmation. This after I had called the hotel, and left a message that I would be checking in late evening 9:30 pm. The calls came 5 minutes apart from 2 different people. This told me the staff was not aware what the right and the left were doing. Secondly; when I checked in, we were not given our passes for breakfast. The rate we paid for the hotel rooms (as I booked two rooms, rm 304 and 310) was to include breakfast. Thirdly; as it was now nearing 11 pm and the room had failed to cool off, we realized that the air conditioning was not working and the room temperature was in the mid 80's to be sure. We called the front desk and we were told that the hotel was booked, and that there were no rooms to be given. We were told also that the maintenance dept. was gone for the day and "quickly added" all they could do was bring up a fan and adjust the room rate from $144 to $99. I suspected that they already knew the room had no air,and saved these rooms for last even though I had booked the rooms well in advance. Fourthly; upon washing for breakfast in the morning (brushing teeth etc.) The sink basin clearly had a clog as the water drained very slowly. Not what I would expect from a "PLUS" hotel. And yes there is a Fifthly; When my family and I went down to eat breakfast, we were informed that we had to pay for breakfast. We informed the staff that our rate included breakfast. We were told to go to the front desk and speak to the manager. We spoke to the manager and she gave us two passes. We balked, and said there are four of us and asked for four. She informed us that it was "The New Hotel Policy that only 2 passes be given per room." My wife protested and the position of the manager did not change. My wife protested vehemently that the website contained no language stating only 2 passes per room. As we had 3 guests in room 304,(the room with no air conditioning.) that's 3 passes. With my family (rm 310)being an additional 4 passes, you can see why my wife was now upset. The position of the manager did not change. She argued that this was a newly instituted policy and was "sorry for the inconvenience". It was only after it became obvious, that my wife was not going to let this go, and now there was an audience of customers at the front desk witnessing and listening to this heating disagreement that the manager yielded. This is certainly not what I had in mind when I booked these rooms. Upon returning home and looking at the e-mails You sent. My wife was vindicated in her position. Review the following. Room 2 - 2 Queen Beds Room Subtotal: $162.39 USD Room Details: 2 Queen Beds, Non-Smoking, Atriumview, Flat Screen Television, Desk, Wi-Fi, Microwave And Refrigerator Rate: Breakfast Rate (Flexible rate available to all travelers. Includes daily breakfast for all adults in the room.) Estimated Taxes & Fees Breakdown (additional charges may apply): Tax 12% $17.40 USD Additional Fees Which May Be Charged At Check-in: $0.00 Deposit Policy: Guaranteed to your credit card for late arrival. A valid credit card must be presented at check-in. Cancellation Policy: Cancel before 4PM hotel time on August 24, 2013 to avoid a charge Child Policy: : Children 12 And Under Are Free In Room With One Paying Adult In Existing Bedding. Room Rate: $144.99 USD In conclusion, I was not impressed in the least by my experience at this Hotel. As I am sure this is not the norm, however the POOR rating at this Hotel is Justified! I have to say that The breakfast and the breakfast staff, Saved You. Otherwise I would have absolutely noting positive to say. Just being honest.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
n las vegas, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2013

you can always depend on Best Western to be clean and comfortable. not true in regards to other chains which shall remain un named. when ever we see a Best Western sign on the highway we have confidence that we will have a nice clean room and a comfortable bedd to sleep in. They never let us down.

Johnsburg, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This Best Western In LaPorte, IN was very comfortable and clean. It had a pool and a restaurant. It is near many fun places like Lake Michigan, fishing lakes, and many antique malls. We found unique restaurants in every direction--Valparaiso, up to Harbert, MI. It is a good jumping off point for a lot of fun.

Naperville, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The front desk staff Julie and Tanya are wonderful! Our family stayed here for 3 nights in a queen double. We picked this hotel for the location and amenities. Our plan was to visit New Buffalo which was only 25 mins from hotel, visit South Haven 1 hour from hotel, Union Pier 30 mins away and Indiana Dunes/Michigan City 30 mins away too. There is a 24 hour supermarket called Kroger and only 5 mins away from downtown La Porte. If you like hiking just 5 min drive from hotel is Soldiers Park, there's a lake beach there that is clean, lifeguard on duty, and wonderful views. There's also a 1 - 2 1/2 walk trail, which we enjoyed. The hotel food is excellent, housekeeping was fantastic, and the hotel pool/spa was just what our family needed after a long day of events. Lastly, blueberry picking in the area is just 18 mins away in Michigan!

1 Thank Mario G
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It was a nice hotel. I could have my dog there, which comes in handy since I'll need to stay in La Porte many nights this next year. There is room service, Starbuck's, and a restaurant. There is a microwave and refrigerator. The bed is really comfortable.

Mokena, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We chose the Best Western because we have stayed here before. It is a fairly reasonable hotel, who honors the AAA discount which helps with the pricing some. Their beds and pillows are SO comfortable. They also had a pool which was nice because we had some down time to kill and were able to relax in the hot tub for a while. The staff is friendly and prompt, and it's just an overall nice hotel chain with decent prices. We always know to check if there is a Best Western in town before we check the competition, because Best Western will always win.

Kingston, PA 18704, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great value; comfortable, quiet, spacious room. Excellent breakfast dining experience. Personable, efficient wait staff. The facility was booked solidly. The parking lot was absolutely full. In spite of the crowd, the well-trained staff in its entirety did their jobs so efficiently that it was a pleasure to be such a small part of a well orchestrated experience.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Also consider these accommodations in or near LaPorte
Hampton Inn La Porte
Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
#4 of 16 in Michigan City
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City

Been to Best Western Plus Laporte Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!