“Authentic experience at a reasonable price”
Review of Taco Rico

Taco Rico
Ranked #16 of 242 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Moved here from California and Arizona with dozens of weekends in Ensenada, MX so I've had lots of Mexican food from several regions. I've eaten here often. This restaurant has authentic recipes with very fresh ingredients. Most of the use of dried spices is middle of the road and some Americans may of course prefer something hotter. Mole sauce is quite good. The people are friendly and try to be helpful, once you seat yourself. The menu is surprisingly broad and they do each offering quite well, from steak to shrimp to traditional soups. Willing to make tripe or chorizo versions as well. Ambiance as others have described, including loud futbol matches or soap operas on TV, is also "authentic."

Reviewed May 9, 2011

I should have known better when, on Cinco de Mayo, there was only one table with any patrons...but a friend said that TacoRico had good food and was a good value...so I purchased carryout - 24 tortas - to feed our hardworking employees....I picked up a menu at 3PM and told them that I'd be calling in a large carry out order soon. I had to repeat my order 3x on teh phone because they didn't quite believe that I wanted to order that much food (2nd indication that they don't do very much business). When I arrived to pick up my order, I was pretty much ignored by the 3 waitresses who were very busy catching up with each other...but my order was ready. After I paid for my order, the waitresses went back to chatting, pointing over to the pile of 5 boxes of food. I carried these out...thought they felt kind of light, but I just figured they were spread out into several boxes so it was decieving. Not so, I should have looked at the meals before I left. The menu clearly stated that the tortas came with rice & beans...we got none or chips or anything exepct a sandwich. But, I had hungry employees, so I apologized to them, pulled out some chips and other misc. leftovers to complete their meal and ate. After dinner, I called to ask about the rice & beans and was told that was old information and they don't include that anymore. Well, had I known that, I would have ordered some or made other arrangements. I was very disappointed in the attitude, service, mgmt response and money I spent at this restaurant.

2  Thank feet2wash
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Tried this place because of trip advisor reviews--is as good as everyone says! Have been there several times--food is always great-large portions-and chips and salsa are awesome! Their burritos are huge and they have a large selection of meats to choose from. Would definately recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank thefamily3
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Taco Rico has delicious food, reasonable prices, and great service. I absolutely love their steak tacos (with just cilantro and onion) and you have to order their guac (made just right). I've been going to this place for the last 4 years, and I promise that you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

Located in a small strip mall, this place is unassuming at first glance, but give it a try anyway. You'll be glad you did!
We tried several different taco styles and fajitas - all were absolutely great! Large portions, fresh delicious food, reasonable prices (much cheaper than other Mexican restaurants), fast and attentive service. What's not to like here?
Well, for one, you can't get a margarita here and that's a shame - I don't think the establishment has a liquor license, just beer/wine. You can get a Mexican beer or a non-alcoholic Pina Colada, but no drinks with hard liquor in them, so that's a bit of a problem, but aside from that (and the lack of atmosphere), this place is fantastic. Go for the food and the value and you'll be very very happy!