“Choice hotel? Not my choice!”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Lafayette
Barnegat, New Jersey
“Choice hotel? Not my choice!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I accidentally reserved this hotel thinking I was in a different Choice hotel--the Comfort Suites, just 1/2 mile from this one.
My rate was an inflated $125 per night since it was a Purdue football weekend. Be aware that the cancellation policy will not allow you to cancel a stay within a week or two--check the site & read the fine print, or you will be stuck paying for a portion of your stay. Regular rates at this hotel are around $76 per night.
I arrived on a Thursday evening around 11pm. As I walked up to the main entrance, there was a man in a heavy coat & hat smoking a cigarette right next to the sign which read "No smoking within 20 feet of this sign." Ok...
I checked in very smoothly--no problems at all. Reception staff were very pleasant.

When I went to my room on the 4th floor, it was freezing in the room (it was around 35 degrees outside). I went to the heater, which has hanging partially off the wall, and I turned it to "heat"....NOTHING happened. I turned it off and then on again...NOTHING happened. Finally I called the reception desk and reported the problem. They sent me a maintenance man within a few minutes. I opened the door, and there was the same man in a heavy coat and hat who had been smoking by the entrance! He was pleasant enough, but a little intimidating as a female traveling alone to open the door to this person.
He must have been taller than I am, and he triggered the room sensor that then kicked on the heater. The heater sounded like a freight train---LOUD--LOUD--LOUD. It would turn off and on all night with repeated roars and sounds. I did not sleep more than an hour or two.
In the bathroom, there was mold on the ceiling, a hole by the faucet in the tub and a grungy drain in the tub. The towels: some were dirty, some were clean. When I turned on the water in the sink, it took a full 4 minutes to get hot water.
I would not stay here again if I could avoid it. It is BADLY in need of repair, upgrading, refurbishing and any other upgrades possible.
I decided to cut my stay short and I left the next morning (Friday, 11/8), since I was able to get a room at the Comfort Suites, just down the road. Now THAT is a Choice hotel. I had a wonderful, comfortable, quiet stay there with no problems for $121 per night (AAA discount).
I will not stay at the Quality Inn and Suites again unless they have a massive overhaul.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Madame44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Lula,Ms
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here twice (July and Oct.13) First stay better than second. Staff was great! Motel was clean but old. Room was mediocre, small but clean- no hot water, breakfast OK. Just not a Choice Hotel type property. Can not recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bdc61

Travelers are raving about these Lafayette hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Well, we waited way too long before making our reservations for Purdue Homecoming and got stuck with this place. My expectations were low, and they were not met.

As we were driving up to the Quality Inn, my son said, "Dad, our hotel looks tired". No truer works could have been spoken. This place was probably built in the 70's and has had only cosmetic updating. The entrance and lobby are cramped and dark. The room was your standard low-ceiing 70's room, altough it was spacious. We did have a fridge and a microwave. Also, there was a good sized flat screen TV. The tub had been cleaned so many times that it had lost its finish, making it look dirty. My wife refused to bathe in it. My favoriate detail was a 3 inch by 4 inch patch on the bedspread in a non-matching fabric. REALLY? The beds were low soft and old.

The moral of this story is make your reservations earlier.

I should point out, however, that the staff was great. Check-in was friendly and smooth, and folks could not have been friendlier.

We did not use the free breakfast, but I did note that the only protein offered was hard-boilded eggs. This is likely the standard for Quality Inns.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul P
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed two nights at motel, Friday and Saturday. Overall experience was less than satisfying. Motel is located just off Interstate 65 on Highway 24. Easy to get to! Shopping and restaurants near by (IHOP 100 yards away). However, motel itself is disappointing. Overall appearance inside and out is run down. Obviously an old building that needs a lot of renovation. My experience included following: A/C fan was noisy; no shower (broken) Saturday morning (I complained, it worked Sunday morning); the carpet had obviously not been vacuumed recently as there were bits of candy (?) all over the place; breakfast was good, including pastries, cook-your-own waffles, biscuits and gravy, etc., etc.; eating area was quite small and tended to be overflowing in the morning; free wi-fi but very slow. Considering the number of other, nicer motels at this same intersection, you could do much better.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter P
likeam
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Staff were nice and helpful but the place is very outdated and really, really, dirty with dust and stains on everything. I would not stay here again or ever recommend it to someone. We were in town for the Purdue/Notre Dame football game so we had to pay the inflated price for game day as it was the only room available in town. We got there at 1:45 am or I would have gotten my money back and driven to another town before I would stay there again! The place seemed pretty full, so I guess we were not the only ones stuck staying here. I was on my way to my room and talked to a guy in the hall who was going down to the desk to complain because his room had not been serviced at 1:45am when he arrived! There was also a bug on the wall by our bed I killed before I went to sleep (not easy to do) The ceiling over the bed looked like it had been patched and was ready to fall off. Microwave and safe looked they came from a yard sale! I am embarrassed for the town of Lafayette, IN...

Stayed September 2013
2 Thank likeam
Akron, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had a room on the top floor and I loved the view from the window. I felt like I could see forever out the window. The place was clean and the bed was good. There were no issues with my stay and the people were nice to deal with.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Abingdon, Virginia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Although the staff was wonderful, the room was in much need of renovation. Stains in the bathtub, blood stains on the sheets, holes in the blankets. The power went out at 615am and the emergency lighting system was not working. My husband climbed down 3 flights of stairs in the dark to get the flashlight out of our car. Staff was apologetic. We did not eat breakfast there.

Room Tip: 2 room suite was great for our family. Two double beds, a pull out couch in another room and two ba...