“Great food Tony style”

Add it.
Kokoro
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I've lived in Lafayette a long time & been to Kokoro many times over the years. I go back because I think the food is amazing. As others have said, Tony (owner/chef) has a certain style of doing things. He can be a little off-beat, but to me, that's what makes the place unique. We go at lunch, when it's more affordable, and yes, expect it to take longer than fast food. As Tony says, this is TONY FOOD! Our favorite (which we split): spicy tuna roll and chicken fried rice. Hours are a little sparse, and sometimes they close a little early or go on vacation, so it's good to check in advance.

Reviewed March 5, 2010

I have been here twice, and while I like the food, its somewhat sloppy. My main complaint is the service. I get it, its "Tony's Place", its his rules, and its unique. But there is a reason there is ALWAYS an ad in the paper for servers. He yells at them and constantly upsets them. The big problem is how long the food takes to arrive. With only one main chef, we waited well over an hour and a half to get our meal. So if you want to eat here, I reccomend that you come full. By the time you get your food, you will certainly be hungry again.

1  Thank Cooking_With_Wolfes
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I used to work at Kokoro while attending Purdue and I have to say it has been one of the best jobs I've ever had! Tony is a bit of a handful but that's the fun part! Kokoro means heart in Japanese and it is a perfect name for this place! Tony-san and Kazue-san are all heart! their business is run from their heart and it goes into the food that comes out of there. Being from Hawaii, there are many Japanese restaurants scattered all over the State. None have come close to Kokoro. So, go in with an open mind, empty stomach, and earplugs if you don't want to hear Tony-san's ranting and raving!

2  Thank sharuno
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Yes, the chef has his rules, but he has been cooking himself for years and it shows, the food is always fresh, high quality, and delicious. It is a wait, but worth it and if you want a relaxing night out, this is the place to go. I think the rules are great, it's about time someone stood up to what they want and not let "customers always be right" My boyfriend and I drive over an hour to come here. We have been to other Japanese places and you don't get the portions or the quality of fresh fish anywhere else.

2  Thank nurse29
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My bf and I both have Asian stomach and we mostly eat Chinese/Korean/Japanese food all the time, so we decided to go to Kokoro since it is a local Japanese restaurant. I regret a little bit that I didn't check the reviews about this place first. Yes, I heard some complains about it before, but I never expected it to be so "special". The food is definitely over-priced. I have tried much better Japanese food, and kokoro price is ridiculous. Not to mention that we waited almost 2 hours, wasted our other plans for the night. :S

Overall, this place and the owners do have characters, if you are local, you might wanna visit there (just to experience it yourself), but if you are truely Japnese food gourmet, I would bet that you will only go there once.

So my bf and I decided that was our first time and last time to Kokoro.

BTW, decoration is pretty nice though, if you only want a romantic environment for dining, do for it.

3  Thank chombs