“Great spicy fried tofu, but...”
Review of Kokoro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kokoro
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've eaten here many times over the last nine years. I never come hungry-- I know that by the time I get my food, I'll be starving. "Tony," the legendarily cranky Japanese owner, claims on the menu that he's slow because he's the only one in the kitchen and he's old. Yes, sure, that's true. But it's also true that he takes breaks to go have drinks in other bars in the area. The spicy fried tofu is the tastiest you'll have anywhere and the edamame is steamed to perfection (though wildly over-priced). The sushi is loosely rolled and has way too much rice which means that it falls apart and you can't possibly eat a piece in a single bite. The servers, bless their souls, try very very hard, so please tip them well, regardless. Do not, however, order a drink with hard liquor. It's always watered down (I know because I've ordered it straight up, just to test my perceptions). Get a beer instead.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

For a restaurant I had heard so many great things about, the meal was unacceptable. We knew service would be bad since that is a long standing part of the restaurant's reputation. Even for usual standards our service was worse than expected. Dinner took 3.5 hours and we cancelled part of our order before we would have been done had we not intervened. The only good part of dinner was the fried calamari and salad. Salads were served after the food they are paired with (fried rice), at ~3 hr mark. Sushi rolls (veggie, alaskan, cajun) were loosely rolled with about three times as much rice as you would expect at a good sushi restaurant; so much so that you couldn't taste the other ingredients. I wouldn't recommend dining here.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I knew going into this that Kokoro would be a long wait for food and expensive. That being said, I just don't think that there was any excuse for how long I waited for my food. First, my table of roughly eight people all got their meals at different times meaning some either had to wait almost an hour to eat their food once the others got theirs- or the rest of us had to sit there and watch our friends eat. We chose the latter. The portion sizes are large, I will give them that. However, I just don't understand why in heaven it would take so long to make food. I believe Tony is the only chef, but I don't think poor hiring and business planning is an excuse for a restaurant to take two hours to cook a tofu stir fry. When I was in undergrad, I could get a tofu stir fry at the dining hall in under ten minutes that was roughly the same quality of the one I got at Kokoro.
I would like to say, however, that our waiting staff was very kind and sympathetic. They were attentive and I could tell that they did feel bad for our state. I think that it's unfair for the chef to put these other people in the awkward position of having to deal with customers' ire, but thankfully the staff handles it well.
I think my group's conclusion at the end of the night was that we would never go back again.

1  Thank MeghanAnnRose
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I must have encountered Tony on a bad day. Had always heard about how great his sushi is so I set out to try it. Tony poured way too much sauce over the top of my sushi roll and it was terrible. He ruined it. The sushi was warm too. I will never go back.

2  Thank Andy M
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Kokoro has great sushi. However, you may be there for 2 hrs before you receive any food. Or it might come out in 20 minutes. This is the risk you run. If you have all night go to Kokoro, order a couple bottles of wine for the table, and see what happens.