“Solid bar food, great beer”

Lafayette Brewing Company
Ranked #40 of 232 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: American
Description: We are a mid-sized brewpub located in the heart of historic downtown Lafayette, IN, and just minutes from the campus of Purdue University. Our family friendly environment features a large dining area. We also have a spacious bar and comfortable banquet facility in our 2nd floor Beer Hall for the 21+ crowd. We were the 1st brewery to receive Indiana's small brewers permit back in 1993, and are currently the 2nd oldest operating brewery in the state. Our brewery philosophy is to brew traditional ale & lager styles while incorporating high quality ingredients and innovative practices to create a distinctive array of beers. Our kitchen focuses on generous portions of unique pub fare, and we feature quality, locally-produced ingredients whenever practical. Stop by and experience a bit of Indiana's craft brewing history. We hope to see you soon!
Battle Ground, In
“Solid bar food, great beer”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great microbrewery. Be careful, though - they keep a dozen or so brews on tap and some are a little 'exotic.' Sweet vanilla flavored beer, coffee flavored beer, etc. Stick with what the regulars drink - the Common Ale (a bitter IPA-like ale), or 85 (similar). If you prefer a heavier or maltier brew, ask the bartender for help- they're very helpful and knowledgeable. The food is good bar fare - a definite cut above average for what it is. The fish and chips are excellent as is most everything. They do have a few lighter offerings (salads, hummus and pita, etc) in case you're not up to scotch eggs or deep-fried sauerkraut balls.

• Visited October 2013

Cleveland, Ohio
“Fun restaurant, great beer, good service”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have been here both times that we visited Purdue. We love the beer selections and the staff that work there. If you are in the mood for bar food at a decent price then this is the place for you.

Visited September 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Make sure you have lots of time for lunch”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

There are not a whole lot of non-chain choices in Lafayette/West Lafayette, and I hate eating at chains when I travel. There are even fewer choices on Sunday, especially when one place was closed for a private party.

We had Sunday lunch after Purdue Parents Weekend/Homecoming. Perhaps the Brewing Company did not realize it was homecoming weekend (how could they not) but they were not ready for a full house.

The building is really cool. It is a furniture store built in 1892, so you can imagine the size. When we got there around 12:30 it was about half full. Within 15 minutes, it was packed. We waited 10 minutes for a menu, and that was indiciative of the pace of the meal. Our waitress had tables all over the restaurant, not must in our section. Further, she could not multitask. She would take the order for the table across from us, then disappear to the kitchen. Why not take the orders from both tables? To me the worst infraction was when she brought our food, she asked what else we needed. We needed soft drink re-fills and mustard. We never got either. I finally had to track down someone else to beg for a check so that we would not miss our flight.

The food was actually fine. My sons had burgers. The both seemed to be well done although one of my sons asked for his medium. I had the flat (name not accepted by TripAdvisor) with is essentially a sub with less bread. It was good. My wife had a wrap. They offer fries with various seasonings, and I think between use we sampled them all. I also had the beans which were good. I had one of the craft beers (the pilsner) and it was very good.

I think this place shows promise, but I am not sure I would go back. Maybe I am not used to the small town pace of life.

• Visited September 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Drink your oatmeal”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I found the worst thing about this place was finding a place to park. I came here on a recommendation from a waitress at another restaurant. The food is very much above average. I'd call it pub food, that is kicked up a notch. They had a really good pulled pork sandwich with chipotle coleslaw. I had their stout which has oatmeal in it. It was really good.

• Visited September 2013
Windham, Maine
“Drink Indiana?”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Absolutely and start right here on Main street in Lafayette! 7 or so beers on tap. Great oatmeal stout, oatmeal stout w/ coffee flavor, eighty-five (solid IPA style beer), strong ale. Of my 6 samples, I thoroughly enjoyed 5 of them which is a strong showing for a brew pub in my experience. Bartender Ben was very knowledgeable about the brews.

Was happy to see so many dark beers on tap in the summer. Didn't have food, but noticed that they use their beer in the recipes. This is a HUGE plus in my book and bumped this place up to 5 stars! I hope to be back

Visited August 2013