“Dine-In Diner with Dinettes and All”
Review of B & N Diner

B & N Diner
Ranked #31 of 260 Restaurants in Lafayette
Reviewed August 5, 2016

After an overnight fast for an early morning blood test, we stopped by for breakfast on a Friday. My nose was not working so I didn't catch the whiff of fresh hot coffee or the biscuits and gravy, but the eggs were classic 'sunny-side-up' and hot buttered toast was crunchy with a substantial nutty quality to the wheat bread.

The meal was prepared quickly and waitresses were very attentive, checking on us and refilling coffee cups in a timely manner as we looked around the black, red, and white decor of the cozy cafe. We were mindful of the cash-only visit and asked the waitress to keep track of the bill, which was helpful.

It seemed there were many 'regulars' as the waitresses greeted customers by name, among the polite and friendly trucker and biker crowd. I hope to eat lunch here on a day when I can fully appreciate the lunch crowd experience.

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed July 10, 2016 via mobile

We searched on here to find a good local place to eat and I am glad we chose this place! We had the tenderloin sandwiches and they were awesome! Nice and thick! Maybe a bit salty for my taste, but still delicious. The server, Susie, was excellent and made sure we had refills and everything we needed. We will definitely go again the next time we are in town!

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed January 17, 2016

I've been meaning to stop by the B & N, a former Quizno's, for some time now. I've seen a lot of Harleys there in the summer and thought it may be a good hole-in-the-wall mom and pop diner. I was pretty much right. My daughter and I went there for a late breakfast after Church and am glad to see an all-day breakfast restaurant in the Tippecanoe Mall area - a great stop for bike road-trippers. When we went, it was in January and the front door blew in a lot of cold air into the small space; an entry foyer wouldn't hurt, but it's probably not bad the rest of the year.

On an Sunday the roughly fifteen tables were busy but not packed, with attentive staff. The wait wasn't bad but not a place if you're in a hurry. Nice 50's theme, typical but not overbearing.

My daughter had blueberry pancakes and we both had the home fries, as well as chicken-fried steak for me. Their menu is extensive for such a small kitchen, so we really should go back and sample more items for a fairer review. (We plan to.) I heard their tenderloin is among the best in town (RIP, Kooler Keg), so a lunch trip is in the works!

Their menu has have two pages of breakfast, including omelets, skillets and combos, as well as a page of sandwiches and a decently priced dinner, daily specials and desserts, none of it overpriced. You can get served at 5 AM seven days a week.

Overall, maybe not as good as Cristo's or Route 66, but it's definitely a good change and there's enough variety and value to keep the regulars coming back. Just sit at the counter, it's warmer!

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed November 16, 2015

That heading was plastered on the top of the menu. So of course we had to try their breaded tenderloin. It was as good as advertised! We agree that it is the best tenderloin we have had in Lafayette. It is hand breaded in the back and fried to perfection. It is also huge! So high marks for the tenderloin. On the opposite end of the spectrum however was the other item we ordered. On Saturday they offer a special on their beef Manhattan's. So we tried it as well. Good thing we paid under $7 for it. It was instant mashed potatoes and canned gravy. Not good at all! We also ordered the whiskey battered onion rings, good not great.

Our server covered the whole room herself on a Saturday evening. She was hopping. There were three cooks in the back to one server. Did not make sense but she took good care of everybody.

This place is small. It is cash only, but has an ATM in the doorway. We enjoyed the atmosphere. It is well windowed so plenty of light and a great view of US 52 and Teal Road intersection.

Our recommendation is to come here and order the beaded tenderloin (skip the Beef Manhattan). Fairly priced we would not be afraid to go back.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed September 2, 2015

Had breakfast for the first time on a Wednesday at 9. Was about empty when we arrived, but half full by the time we left. We were greeted warmly by an older waitress who took good care of us. I had one of the breakfast specials (two eggs, two sausage patties, hash browns, toast for $4.75) and my wife had the sausage and cheese omelette, also with hash browns ($5.75). Coffee was only OK, but also was only $1.35. Should note it was “cash only” when we were there. All was served hot and attractively presented, maybe better than a more upscale cafe that recently opened in the area. The decor is a combination of automotive and movie nostalgia. Several regular customers dropped in while we were there. This is the kind of small, independent restaurant that offers good value and deserves more regulars.

Date of visit: September 2015