“Don't stay at the slum hotel”

Garden Inn and Suites
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Kokomo
Kokomo, Indiana
“Don't stay at the slum hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed there because they took pets, and found the bathroom dirty with molded shower curtans, and black mold in the bathroom. They had illegal kitchens in rooms with extension cords running over the floor. We found out later that it is known as the "slum hotel" to many residents in Kokomo. Also, they do not provide receipts for your stay, and will not provide them when requested. The halls, rooms and the motel as a whole smelled of mold and dirt. They also had almost non-existent house keeping, you could leave garbage outside your room and it could take up to 3 days for them to pick it up. The hotel looks like it is in the middle of remodeling, but nothing is happening and the hotel pool has been permanently closed by the health department. And, many of the outside doors are not properly secured and are not accessible by your room key.

We would not reccommend this hotel to our worst enemy, in fact, we turned them in for the mold issues when we left along with the illegal kitchens and found that they had been told not to have kitchens in rooms as they were not fire rated for them, and were closed for several days due to the degree of black mold in the bathrooms.

Do not stay there if you don't want to come down with a black mold toxicity infection like one of our family members, which has spread and is still ongoing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Elizabeth B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milwaukee, WI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

12/30/2012 Kokomo Indiana, Garden Inn and Suites.
Don't make the same mistake that we did. At check in, we asked if they had WIFI in the rooms. We were assured that they did. When we could not connect, we were first told there was no one available to fix it. Upon returning to our room later in the day, we found a note taped on our door. "There is NO PROBLEM with the WIFI in Room (number). When we could not connect , we were then told that there "must be too many people using it right now". There were only 3 cars in the parking lot. How many guests could there be at that time?. Later we were told that no one currently at the motel could fix the WIFI. "It may be fixed by 11 a.m. tomorrow". was the reply this time.
Some tips to follow if you stay here. Our sheets were not changed during the weekend even after I told the front desk that Pop had been spilled on them.So bring your own sheets in case you need clean ones. Bring your own blanket. They do not provide any. Bring extra towels. You get only one set per room and there were two of us. We did get two washcloths. Be careful in the bathroom. Our toilet was so loose that we had to carefully sit and still it rocked. We could not use the grab bar to steady ourselves as it was hanging loose out of the wall. When we requested a different room, we were told there was a 20 dollar moving charge. It was after the fifteen minute limit for refunds. Bring your own kleenex tissue. The holder had none and when we asked for some at the front desk, we were told. "we don't have any. Use toilet paper. Over the entire weekend the room was not vacuumed. There was no pen and paper in the room. We asked about that. We were giving a sheet of paper 8 1/2 by 11 and told that the motel did not have any pens.
The donuts provided for the continental breakfast was the only choice and they looked bad. This from a person who until now has never met a donut they didn't like. We ate out.
They had a sign prominently displayed at the front desk. "No refunds after 15 minutes after check in". I did not realize that was a warning. At check in I just thought it odd.
If this is not the worst motel accommodation in our travel life, it is definitely in the top two. I would never recommend this place to any one. In fact if I learned that someone we know was going to Kokomo, IN, we would warn them away from it in advance. It is too bad because the outside and entry room was attractive although the front desk area was untidy and cluttered.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LibraryLady60

Travelers are raving about these Kokomo hotels

Englewood, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Urging all travelers do not book at this hotel !The pictures are totally deceiving and this place is not fit to stay in.I experienced the worst at this hotel. From no ac in the lobby to mold and mildew in the rooms, filthy rooms with nothing in working order, not even the security lock on the outside hall door. There were young adults running the hallways and lobby area who obviously weren't staying there and looking for a party. The carpet was wet and turned my feet black and when the ac was off the smell of mold and mildew filtered my lungs. I ask for my money back but was denied and treated like it was my fault .

Room Tip: for your health and safety just don't book here it is cheap and it is run cheaply as possible...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Linda T
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

in my 45 years of traveling this was the the lousiest place i have ever stayed. they wouldn,t clean the rooms,. :to quote the front desk, were not howard johnsons. bring your own
1- water glass
2- ant spray
3-light bulbs
4- hand towels. you can get 1 towel at the front desk
5- the water bucket in the hall, it catches the rain water from the leaky roof, was also used as a waste basket. it was full when i left
the vietnam vet reunion was great

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Frank E
Anderson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I attended the 2012 Vietnam Veterans Reunion and had a wonderful time but the Garden Inn in Kokomo as the worst experience I have ever had. If this place has been renovated I can't imagine what it was like before. My room was dirty, the bathroom light over the sink had two light bulbs missing and the light between the beds had one light bulb and none in the other. There were no towels in the bathroom. I asked for some and didn't get them. Had to go back downstairs and ask them again. My buddy who always stays with me at the reunion refused to stay this weekend because the room was so filthy so he drove 20 miles to his mother's house and stayed. When I returned to my room Saturday night (late) the beds had not been made and when I told the desk clerk he said the maid must have forgotten my room. I told him if he/she can't do their job any better than that, then they don't need to be working there. He told me he just worked nights and didn't care. When I told him there was no remote in the room for the TV, he told me I should have come downstairs because he had a whole bag full. I told him I felt I should get my bill adjusted but he didn't care. I think the Hilton people would not be happy that this place that carries their name is run like that. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: There are lots of nice hotels in Kokomo but this is not one of them, do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert_EAnderson
Kokomo, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

DO NOT ATTEND AT THIS HOTEL
I use to be a housekeeper at the Signature/ Garden Inn Hotel, I was recently fired for cleaning to good. I changed every sheet in the hotel rooms becuase when I took a black light to the room I found to my surprise glowing stains in the sheets that are inappropriate to discuss in a review. We go through a laundry company called Economy who I guess cleans the sheets, however, the charge by how many loads they washed. Therefor, unless there are visible stains I was not suppose to change the sheets. Well, we all know but when using white sheets not all stains may show up. If someone is to stay in that bed they could be ill and contagious so as part of a business and community I felt it was necessary to abide by health codes and change the sheets anyways since I cost the business more money in doing so I got fired.
I also want to forewarn people now you should always open fridges and microwaves to check for mold while attending this hotel. I went to clean a room and found an inch of black mold caked in the freezers, I was told to clean it by hand, no gloves, masks, or protective wear with pinesol. - a floor cleaner.
To sum other issues up, there are ants that come out of the walls, they refuse to call an exterminator, they do not proplerly clean the jaccuzi's, or coffee pots and when housekeepers do there jobs to heatlh codes and take to long in room which os over tne minutes they are immediately terminated, they do pay 2-3 dollars under the table which i didnt know was illegal until now, they also have recluses and wolf spiders and eggs under the stair cases, and they had me flea bomb a room without vetilating it, and then put someone in that particular room within 6 hours when you bug bomb you are to evacuate the area for 24 hours so if you are sick after visiting here are some of the mild reasons why, and I would visit the closest health center to get tested for STDs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Alecsia R
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

I moved to Kokomo recently but needed somewhere to stay for a week until my apartment was ready. I called around & this place was the most reasonable & they had microwaves/mini-fridge in there (eating out for a week...no thanks). I decided to stay here. I was told by a southern lady (w/ long brown hair & brown eyes) & the owner (a sesarean (sp?) man) that the pool was closed because it was getting worked on & they were building a waterslide & waterfall & all of that. The place looked clean & nice upon entering.

However, once I got into my room, I noticed how disgusting it was. I pulled the covers back so my 2 yr old daughter could takr a nap. The sheets stunk. There were boogers & God only knows what else was on that sheet. I went straight to the office (phone didnt work) & complained. After about an hour, the southern lady came to change my sheets. There werent any queen size sheets clean so she had to use king size.

As she was making the bed, I asked if they were hiring for housekeepers (just to see what she would say) & she had told me he pays $3 per room under the table. I was shocked she said that, so he is running his business illegally. Tgat explains it.

The next day, my daughter & i were scoping out the place. I wanted to see the "new construction" that was being held to the pool. Imagine my disappointment when I see a sign covering the pool door notifying customers that the pool was shut down by the HEALTH DEPARTMENT. Surprise, surprise.

There was an old moldy washcloth hidden in the shower curtain. The floors/carpet was so disgusting, the sheets/covers stunk, etc... not to mention, the entire time I was there, I never recieved room service or housekeeping. I went to the office & asked for trash bags, towels, wash cloths, etc. I vacuumed my own room. I scrubbed my own bath tub.

I recieved a phone call at 7 am the morning I was suppose to check out from the owner demanding I pay for another night or that I needed to check out. Mind you, this was at 7 am!!!!

I was so glad when I could leave & move into my newly renovated apartment.

• Stayed September 2011