“It's an okay place to stay.”
Review of Astoria Inn

Astoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knox
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“It's an okay place to stay.”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

This is the 2nd time that we have stayed at the Astoria Inn in Knox, Indiana. Our most recent stay was on May 21st. The building is not new. The lobby area was clean and well kept. The only "junkie" area was a room off from the front desk that was crummy looking and you could see how messy the room was from the outside. The carpeting in the hallway and elevator are worn, but it had been swept. Our room was clean. The bathroom floor, sink, and tub area were spotless. In fact, the bathroom floor was so clean that my husband almost fell getting out of the shower. The sheets were fresh smelling and clean. We didn't take advantage of the Continental breakfast and ate next door at Christo's restaurant (yummy!). The female desk clerk was there when we checked in and she was very friendly. The man on duty when we came back at 1:30 a.m. -- not so friendly. The young lady who was at the desk when we checked out was very nice. We didn't find any bugs or critters. There were no strange people walking around. We felt safe in our room. I gave it an "average" rating because "it's an okay place to stay." There's nothing special about the Astoria Inn so they shouldn't charge $94.00 a night (including tax) for a double queen bed room! :-( If you want a convenient and short time place to stay, stay at the Astoria Inn. Of course, it's certainly not the Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn, but it will do in a pinch.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShariAnn1946

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Plymouth
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I'll admit that some of the reviews that I read were correct. I can not discredit them. HOWEVER, the cleanliness of the rooms and the welcome feeling I got upon arriving, on the weekend, made my stay that much more enjoyable. I asked for more towels, which I received, with no problems. The housekeeper was there everyday, straightening up my room and offering clean towels. As far as the amenities go, everything that I needed or asked for was obtained at the front desk. The front clerk definately made our stay much more enjoyable than I was expecting. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice experience. A great 'weekend' getaway!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank blueeyes4511
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed November 29, 2010

My 2 year old daughter and I stayed in this hotel for one night while visiting my husbands family during thanksgiving. I will NEVER stay here again. When I walked in the place on the outside seemed ok - what else do you expect for $59/room right? No toliet paper, dirty shower and restroom, bed not the most comfortable - but this was little stuff I could handle. During the night strange people walking around - the door that is suppose to be locked and only opened by room key did not latch - anyone was able to walk in at a moments notice. Room doors propped open and different people going in and out. No one really could speak any english. I had to put on the chain lock and wedge the bathroom door against outside door to be able to even shut my eyes in fear for me and my little girl. CRAZY PLACE. DO NOT GO THERE. We left as soon as the sun came up as fast as we could - and come to find out they charged me for another night I was not there!!!! Noone knows why or what - but I am fighting them to even get the money back.....Not a memeber of BBB or anything - is there not regulation for these type of places!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Knox hotels

Knox, Indiana
Reviewed August 30, 2010

My wife and I were staying on the second floor at the Astoria and someone tried to get into our room at 2:30 in the morning. I looked through the peep hole and saw that it was the manager. The next morning my cousin that was on the third floor had experienced the same situation. What kind of place is this that management tries to get into your room in the middle of the night??? What would of happened if I didn't have the double lock on my door. Would they of came in my room while I was sleeping??? I would not recommend the Astoria Inn to anyone. Do not stay there....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
chicago, il
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed here for one nite last weekend. We were lost tryinig to get to the hotel and when we called for directions they could not tell us how to get to the hotel. They spoke very poor english. The front office and the hallways of the hotel were not air conditioned. There was a handwritten sign at the desk that said "YOU PAY, YOU STAY - NO REFUNDS". The elevator did not appear to be safe.......after one trip in it we chose to use the stairs instead.

The room was dirty and disgusting.....no clock, no coffee pot, no amenities. The linens were scratchy, the pillows flat. I was very, very disappointed. We paid $115 for this room.........seriorously drive the extra miles to another town.

The wierdest part of the whole experience........when we checked into the hotel the owner was wearing a "Nightmare on Elm Street" tee shirt". The stay there at the Astoria was a nightmare or should I say the Astoria should be Historia.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
NJ
Reviewed July 29, 2009

This was the worst hotel EVER! Not only was it filthy (hairs in bed, on pillowcases, shower, sink; stained towels) it was not safe either! We asked for no housekeeping and personally told the assistant at the desk to put a do not disturb on our room......came back late that night and someone ABSOLUTELY was in our room (we set a no fail trap!) - of course they denied that anyone was in there. Nothing appeared to be taken - and trust me no one from housekeeping tried to clean - so why would someone be in our room at all?! Also, outside doors propped open - anyone could come into building at any time. The morning we checked out we could not find anyone at front desk. Tried for 20 minutes....even called the front desk from our cell phone to just have it ring and ring. Anyone could have gone behind the counter and go through drawers etc. Also - no battery in the smoke detector; Pool was disgusting looking; Shady characters hanging around at night. You definitely DO NOT want to stay at this hotel! Certainly not worth $90+ dollars a night to stay at such a hell hole!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We stayed at the Astoria Inn one night because of a family party. While it is definitely not worth the $93 they charge, it wasn't as bad as the reviews said it was. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. However, the rooms do not have a coffee pot (there was coffee in the lobby) or hair dryer and the only personal care product was the tiny bars of soap and the shampoo in a dispenser in the shower. And, oh yes, they hand you the TV remote when you check in and it is to be returned when you check out! (Never have experienced that in all our travels!)

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knox
Days Inn Plymouth
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 6 in Plymouth
Holiday Inn Express Plymouth

Been to Astoria Inn? Share your experiences!