“Recommendation”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Was given this as a recommendation whilst staying nearby and glad I came. Man-sized portions and excellent fillet steak. Prices fair for what you get, which is excellent food. Service was prompt, efficient and friendly.
A word on the decor- stunning! Also, toilets were spotless and very fresh which is always a pointer to the overall attitude of a place.
Found the locals in the bar friendly as well

TheStationHotel, Public Relations Manager at Station Hotel Shotts, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

It is nice to hear some positive feedback about our bar customers - I'm sure they'll be relieved!! Glad you enjoyed your meal and found it to be value for money, hopefully you will return to visit us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I dined here last night on a very wet, cold and windy Wednesday but when we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly waitress who gave a choice of seats within the restaurant. We instantly felt comfortable in our surroundings.

We did go through the bar area to get to the restaurant - not sure if there is any other entrance? - but as a first time visitor in the rain we went for the first door we saw! I read an earlier review of someone complaining that everyone in the bar stared at them when they arrived but we got nothing but smiles from the bar patrons.

We were dining here after it was recommended by my parents who'd had a fantastic Sunday dinner a few weeks before and we were very happy we came! The menu is varied and they also have a specials board - for us a great sign because so many chefs now stick to the one standard menu which makes the chef appear lazy and set in their ways (to us anyway!) but the chef at the Station Hotel clearly likes things fresh!

My husband took pepper pot mushrooms served on ciabatta bread as a starter and I took the chicken pakora. My husband loved his mushrooms and probably would have liked a slightly larger portion. My pakora was okay but I didn't feel like it had a huge amount of flavour by itself. That said when it was combined with the amazing side dip it was lovely. I had a huge portion of pakora but a very small serving of the dip so it was a little disappointing to run out before I'd finished all the chicken.

The main courses were huuuuuuuge though and absolutely brilliant value for money! I had the scallops with black pudding and breaded pork belly squares, served with mash potato, apple sauce and a lovely light sauce (around £18) it was such a large portion I couldn't eat it all! Only slightly negative things I would say about the dish was that I didn't care too much for the pork belly being breaded but I just removed this and a few of the scallops still had a lot of the chewy side membrane attached which wasn't too nice but overall the dish was yummy and wouldn't put me off getting it again.

My husband by far had the best dish of the night though! He took the fillet steak with foie gras, cabbage and mashed potato with a porcini mushroom and port sauce (around £29) The Fillet was by far the largest we have ever been served in a restaurant, cooked perfectly medium/rare and presented with two very generously sized pieces of foie gras. He was a little worried about spending so much on the one dish and it not being as good as he was hoping for but I now know every time we visit here this is what he will order - and we will definitely be back!

Our meal consisted of 2 starters, two of the most expensive main courses on the menu, a glass of orange juice and 2 pints of lager it and the total bill was around £66. An amount we were very happy to pay for an overall enjoyable night.

We were very impressed with the waiting staff - we were served by both a waiter and waitress at various times and both of them did the Station Hotel proud.

We are already planning our next trip.

1  Thank L_peeps84

Many thanks for providing such a comprehensive review with some constructive feedback. I am sorry about the membrane on the scallops - I will make sure I pass this on to the chef. Also, we would have been happy to provide more pakora sauce had we been asked, so don't be shy! Very happy to hear you felt the steak was worth the money and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I attended the Station Hotel recently with my friend for a Saturday lunch mate date and we extremely enjoyed our visit. Christopher was our waiter, and throughout the entire meal he was attentive and friendly - we couldn't have asked for better. The place seemed well organised, well planned out and the food was brilliant. I had a baked potato with chicken mayo and my friend had a chicken fajita. It was a great meal and I would definitely recommend!

1  Thank JoannaEllen17

So glad to hear you enjoyed your recent visit, I will make sure I pass your comments on to Christopher, we pride ourselves on having committed and hard working staff so we are delighted to have your feedback.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch in the station hotel after hearing good reviews. We were not disappointed ... I ordered fajitas and my husband had a cheese burger. Portion size was excellent .. The burger could have had a larger portion of chips but that did not take away from the great tasting food. Presentation was excellent and service friendly and efficient. Drinks were very good.. House red was lovely and a selection of beers and ciders. Will defiantly be back!!

1  Thank Emma D

Hi there

Delighted to hear you enjoyed your lunch, look forward to hosting you again soon. Extra chips can be supplied on demand!!

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Not the best place staff not helpful need to walk though the bar where old men stair at you when u walk in tables were not clean we had to ask them to clean it

4  Thank briankayy
TheStationHotel, Public Relations Manager at Station Hotel Shotts, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

It is always sad to hear that someone has had a bad experience in our establishment, as we pride ourselves on high standards of customer service and food and drink. If you care to read further reviews, it is apparent that most people have a wonderful experience in our hotel and our staff are often singled out for high praise with comments such as ‘can’t do enough for you’, ‘very friendly’ etc. Having to get a member of staff to clean your table is not in itself enough to warrant a one-star review, especially if during a busy period. I also find it hard to believe that our bar customers were ‘staring’ at you, although even if they were this is beyond our control! If you would like to discuss this in more detail one of the proprietors (Paul/Tommy) would be more than happy to address your concerns. We just wish there was more detail here with regards to food/drink and service as we feel this review does not represent a fair reflection of what we provide.