“Check it out”

89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Check it out”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Shakamak SP may not have all the bells and whistles of other Indiana parks but it is still a great destination for a day trip of hiking. My husband and I come here often for a walk on one of the four well marked trails. There are stables and bridle trails for the horsey set. We've not used the pool but in season it always appears sparkling clean. There is no lodge or camp store so bring your own snacks.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank 54Nancy54

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great place to grow up”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I grew up close by and was very fortunate to have this beautiful state park as a backyard playground. Fishing, boating, hiking, swimming, camping in cabins or campgrounds. The newly built cabins are absolutely gorgeous with lake and wooded views. You can't go wrong here and you won't want for activities.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Jayme J
Columbus, Indiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wonderful hidden gem of Indiana State Parks”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We had a wonderful camping experience during our first and definetly not our last trip to Shakamak State Park. We hiked on one of the trails, which was nice but we mostly enjoyed the easy bike riding around the entire park...great park for family bike rides. The pool area was great as this park has one of the nicer pools I've seen as far as parks go. Although our weekend did consist of 1 rainy day, our site #12 was perfect...mostly gravel and had very good drainage...there was no water at all standing on out site after storms passed. Hopefully next time will be able to enjoy the lakes. Shower house was nice, clean, and satisfactory.

6 Thank HardestyFamily
Roswell, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Hate to rain on the parade, but . . .”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Of all the campgrounds we've been to in five states, this was the worst. First, we were there over the Fourth of July holiday, so you can expect something of a zoo anywhere. But even taking that generously into account, this was still our worst experience ever.

We got there just after a hard rain. Once we found our postage-stamp-sized lot, we realized we didn't need to worry about having no lake view (I dont think any of the sites do), because we had two of our very own private lakes right there on our site. There basically was no pad to park the pop-up on, and thus also no drainage.

My husband later remarked that it was a good thing we'd gotten there after the rain, otherwise he would have positioned the pop-up normally, only to discover later that the door led to a small lake. But since we already knew where the lakes were, he was able to position the trailer rather oddly so we would not have to step in too deep water to get in or out of the pop-up.

And speaking of water, there isn't any in the individual sites. Yet this campgrounds was more expensive than many of the others we've stayed at.

The worst part, though, was although there were presumably quiet hours, no one observed them during the four days we were there. Worse still, people did not put their children to bed! Children were running and screaming all over the place as late as midnight and after. One unfortunate woman across from us couldn't get her small child to go to sleep due to all the noise.

During the day, I didn't need to listen to the radio for weather reports, as I could hear them from either the site next to us or the one across from us (they seemed to take turns) just as clearly as if I had a radio on with the volume up in my own kitchen. (Fortunately, I didn't hate their choice of music.). This campground is not as jammed up as, say, a KOA would be, but for every one site at other campgrounds, they had two squeezed in the same size area in this one.

On the third night, I had managed to drift off around midnight, since the kids and adults had miraculously quieted down, when I was awoken by some guy yelling "boo" to his female companions just outside my bed. I don't know why, but that is the kind of place it was. Many people had no consideration for others.

There were also more kids at this campground than two or three normal campgrounds - several of them on their bikes outside our trailer at any given moment; that's how dense it was. I like kids, and enjoy the laughter of kids having fun. But not screaming at midnight!

So . . . I would say that, in our experience anyway, this was more of a party type campground rather than an enjoy-nature type of campground. If you want a place where there are no quiet hours, and you don't have to bother supervising your children or putting them to bed at a reasonable hour, this may be the place for you.

9 Thank HappyCamperCoco
Vincennes, Indiana, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great family fun!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have taken several day trips to Shakmak. The trails are excellent. The pool area is very nice, clean & well staffed. We rented a paddle boat & took our kids out on the lake. The park has life vest for use. They have a pony for kids to ride and saddle horses for longer trail rides. We will go back.

2 Thank Tiffany H