“Overpriced and totally underwhelming”

Courtyard Indianapolis Airport
Ranked #63 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Philadelphia, PA
“Overpriced and totally underwhelming”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

The front lobby staff were very helpful and friendly. However, the room was small, and the whole place seemed rather shabby. Compares VERY poorly with other similarly priced hotels where we have stayed the past 2 months.

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicago Suburbs
Reviewed December 10, 2008

We booked 25 rooms for a sporting event. The staff was very accomodating. The rooms were decent size and the service was friendly. Not in the best area, as the neighborhood is a little rough (some vandelism happened outside the hotel)

• Stayed November 2008
New Jersey
Reviewed December 8, 2008

Pros:
Large rooms
Clean
Decent Price
Provided food/snacks/drinks in lobby

Con:
Dated
Food was pretty bad
Some rooms had drafty windows (but you could turn up the heat and be fine).

Overall, this hotel is OK, nothing special but would be good for a business trip/cheap stay.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Northeastern Indiana
Reviewed July 8, 2008

This place should be avoided like the plague. Hotel had numerous cars vandalized over the July 4 holiday. Our car had the passenger side front window shattered while we away and using the park and fly service. Upon return, the front desk made mention that the claims dept. for Marriott would contact us and was nice about calling the police for the filing of a report, which was not done prior to our return. We did receive a call from the claims department 2 days later and we were told that Marriott would do NOTHING as far as the damage. As far as I am concerned, this is not over. As far as you are concerned, STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Clean Room
  • Disliked — Damage to car and attitude of claims department for corporation
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on Dec. 22. I was scheduled to depart from the airport early the next morning, and thought the location would be convenient for the airport. Proximity to the airport is fine; however, my rental car was broken into in the hotel's parking lot and several things were stolen. The front-desk staff were very quick to tell me that they were not responsible for the damage, and that there were signs in the parking lot telling guests not to leave valuables in the car.

The hotel staff called the police, and mentioned that it "usually takes about 1 hour for them to arrive". When asked if they had to call the police often, the staff member said they had other break-ins recently and hadn't had much support from local authorities. I learned another car in the parking lot was damaged on the same night. Follow up discussions with a representative from Marriott's regional office in Chicago confirmed that they are unwilling to take responsibility or offer compensation for this break-in.

I frequently stay at Marriott hotels worldwide. However, I will think twice before giving any more business to Marriott. I'm sure other hotel chains are willing to take proactive measures to ensure that vandalism and theft does not happen on their property, or to take better care of their guests when something does happen.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank billysgirl97
St Joseph, IL
Reviewed December 17, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel because we had a very early morning flight to Mexico. During checkin, the hotel staff encouraged us to leave our car there during our week vacation. We agreed it would be easier to take the shuttle in the morning to the airport, and paid for the service. Unfortunately, the passenger side window was shattered and some small items were stolen from our car while we were gone. Although the hotel staff was somewhat accomodating, they were unconcerned. They acted as if this was a commonplace occurance, and no big deal.

We contacted management after we got home to report what had happened. During the intial report, the manager was apologetic and told my husband that they would take care of us. Subsequent phone calls were unanswered and after 2 weeks we recieved a letter indicating that although they were sorry, there was nothing they could do.

We are Marriott Rewards members and are very disappointed.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank caroldianne81
The World
Reviewed November 18, 2007

I have stayed at many airport Courtyard before and this one strike me as the most friendly one that I have been in yet. The staff made me feel welcome the moment I set foot in the lobby. I was quickly given my room key (404) within less than 1 minute. Finding the elevator took me a bit longer as the directions was not obvious. The hallway lighting is a bit darker than I would have liked but the room brightness more than made it up.

The room is clean, airy and new. The king bed is using the new Courtyard bed package which has a layer of Temturpedic-type memory foam. I was a bit hesitant at first as I like my bed a bit on the firm side but after one night on it, I felt refreshed. One brownie point for the new Courtyard bed. Rounding out the room is the usual work-desk, TV and a sofa with a coffee table, all in brand new condition.

The bathroom is roomy with the separate lavatory outside of the bathroom. The amenities is also seems to be updated from the old Courtyard that I have remembered (have not been in a Courtyard for a while).

The hotel is a square building with an internal courtyard in the middle which is nicely kept and would make a good place to have an afternoon tea. Yes, it is that nice. The pool occupied in the one of the wing of the building with good view out to the courtyard.

The shocker came when I went to the front-desk and ask for some detergent and fabric softener for my dirty laundry. They are given free of charge. Now, I am used to be charged for an arm and a leg for these things in other hotel and so shocked I walked away without asking for some coins for the machines. Another brownie point.

This Courtyard is about 3 minutes away from the airport but noise control was very good. You have more to worry from the box AC than noise from the planes outside. I had an early flight the next morning at 6:00AM and the earliest shuttle was at 5AM. I was a bit worry as the shuttle seems to be shared between other Marriott properties in the areas and I was afraid that it would be long if it was going to make the round. However, the shuttle went straight to the airport once everyone at the Courtyard was in, YMMV.

All in all, I was very impressed by this Courtyard. It is head and shoulder above the rest in the same category. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business