“Favorite hotel in town!”

Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
Ranked #39 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Favorite hotel in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here for a mid-week family get-away and had a great time. The hotel is easily accessible and has a shared parking (pay lot, though) with another Marriott property. Our room was a bedroom suite, which means we had a bedroom, bathroom, and kitchenette-living area. Furniture was surprisingly comfortable, kitchen appliances and amenities were very convenient, view of the canal was beautiful, and the pool was just what you'd expect for a hotel pool. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was great too; eggs, waffles, breakfast sandwiches, along with a full range of cereals, fruits, coffee, breads, etc... Staff at the hotel were outstanding and very friendly. This is property is about 1/2 mile from Circle Center mall, which is very convenient, too.

We will definitely stay here for our next downtown Indy get-away! Great location, great accommodations, great staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review on TripAdvisor. I am absolutely delighted to read all of yoru kind words regarding our location, breakfast, view, accommodations, and closest to my heart- our staff! I genuinely hope that we can welcome you back to Indy soon, and please let me know if I can do anything for you directly.

Katherine.Boehner@WhiteLodging.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

My daughter, 6 month old Grandson and myself have been staying at the Marriott Residence Inn in downtown Indianapolis. The entire stay will last almost 6 weeks. In this amount of time you will be able to see everything a hotel has to offer. I must say that I have never experienced such incredible customer service at any other hotel in my life. These people have gone way beyond and above every expectation you could have. While traveling with a baby for the first time you never know everything you will need until you get there. The Residence Inn has personally seen to each of the requests we have presented and I must say with such great dispositions. The maid service is efficient, clean and thorough. The dining area is always clean and the food is hot and ready at the appointed times they advertise. Of course you get attached to people at the front desk as you come and go through the lobby in a 6 week stay......Cherie has been amazing to us. Of course I couldn't say there was a less than perfect one on the entire staff but Cherie has seen to some personal issues we needed and I have been so appreciative to her for that. If you are in this area, please look these people up. You will not be sorry you stayed in a hotel that treats you like family. We will be forever grateful for all that they have done to accommodate us while we were away from home for so long. Thank you so very much. Angie Hall

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jbnab2
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Anytime a guest takes time out of their day to review our hotel is appreciated, but such a glowing review of an extended-stay is even more meaningful. I am delighted to hear that you are enjoying our staff service, the cleanliness of our rooms, and our food options. I cannot say it enough times- I completely agree with your review of Cherie. I endlessly admire her demeanor with both guests and associates and I am thrilled that you have enjoyed her as well.

Please let us know how we can continue to serve you, and again, thank you so much for writing a review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate it as we appreciate you staying with us.

Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The good:
We loved the setting of this hotel on the canal. We loved our big room with a kitchen area. We did love that the windows opened all the way to get fresh air. The breakfast was very good. the front desk staff was great.

The bad:
The bed was very lumpy and not comfortable. The couch was stained and not super comfy. No restaurants are very close. You can walk a few blocks into town, but there's nothing convenient nearby. No convenience store or grocery store close by, either.

Overall, it is a good value for the room, though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you greatly for writing us a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate that you took the time to leave us feedback as it is vital to our continuous improvement. I'm especially glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, room, and staff service. I would, however, like to apologize for any disappointment faced during your stay. I would be happy to discuss further with you in order to see exactly which room you were in to identify if any of our furniture is not in excellent condition.

It is worth noting to our future guests that while the canal is not located directly next to the circle, is it only about a 5 minute walk to the monument and many stores and restaurants. Directly across the street from us is one of my favorite restaurants in Indianapolis, a locally-owned hole in the wall with delicious food and a beautiful patio. We are also next door neighbors to an Italian bistro on the canal for a quicker option. As far as the grocery store, Indianapolis unfortunately only has one located on Mass Ave which is not close to any hotels. However, I am happy to report that a brand new grocery is currently under construction across the street from our hotel, and the best icing on the cake:

Our grocery service! Drop your grocery list off by 9:00am, and one of our mangers would be delighted to have your items in your room for you later that day. Again, I sincerely apologize for any disappointments faced, but please feel free to contact me for further discussion, and I hope that was able to provide some ideas for your next visit!

Portage, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

First and foremost, this is far one of the friendliest group of people working at this hotel. They went above and beyond our expectations. For a downtown big city hotel, the price was worth the stay. Everywhere we needed to go was in walking distance and the views from the hotels overlooking the canal were awesome. You have to pay for parking but it was cheaper than any other parking in the city. Breakfast is good. A lot of choices for a complimentary breakfast. The sausage was a little overcooked but overall the breakfast is worth the stay. The rooms are spacious and having a kitchen and living area made it a comfortable stay. The front staff was very helpful, I was there for a conference and they allowed me to leave my car there for the day after I checked out because the conference ran past the checkout time. I would recommend this hotel as a first choice in downtown Indy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank datailes
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I am so pleased to read that you consider our hotel to be one of the friendliest groups of people you've encountered. Though I agree that our rooms, breakfast, and location are worth the stay, our staff is the driving force that makes our hotel exceptional. I hope that you will allow us to welcome you back to Indianapolis, and please let me know if I can be of any assistance. I would be happy to book your reservations myself!

Summerville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Residence Inn Indianapolis is located close to many Indianapolis downtown attractions such as museums, Colt's stadium and shopping. The staff is well-trained and friendly. Our room was spacious and clean with a kitchen and roomy work area. Morning buffet was good with fresh options such as fruit and yogurt. Front desk staff was accommodating and personable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Weeniedog51
Thank you so much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and hope you got a chance to experience the beauty of the Indianapolis canal right outside our doors as well! I am also ecstatic to hear you enjoyed the cleanliness of your room, and of course, our staff service as it is near and dear to my heart. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thank you for visiting us in Indianapolis!

Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here for quite a few weeks in March/April of 2013 as part of a project team and can tell you that while the facilities and rooms are great, it's the staff that really make this place stand out. Cherie at the front desk is a gem and Marriott would do well to clone her and place her in all their properties. She displays her customer service excellence in everything she does and everyone she interacts with regardless of who you are. The rooms are updated and decorated in the new style I like. I had a studio with a large desk workspace that faced the canal and it was perfect for me. Hot water was plentiful with good water pressure. Kitchen facilities in rooms were great and room was always cleaned well every day. Breakfast area is smaller than it should be for a property this size and it got a little crowded down there with people at certain rush hour times in the mornings but they make killer sausage,egg & cheese breakfast sandwiches though. Evening social events were good and food was plentiful along with drinks. Katie the manager handled a chronic internet issue they had very quickly and kept us updated until it was resolved which I appreciated. Pool and gym were great and clean. The only thing I would say is that the cost of parking was the only downside to this property as it shared a parking lot with a Courtyard hotel and so you had to use these swipe cards to get into/out of parking lot. I wasn't planning for that cost on top of the room but it is in downtown so I should have expected it. Overall I would stay here again for sure and highly recommend it for travellers of all types.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from people walking along canal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much- I am absolutely floored by your thorough and appreciative review. From the room, to the cleaning service, to service recovery regarding internet, to food choices and cleaning service, you seemed to cover it all. And trust me, I am absolutely looking into where I can get 100 more of Cherie. She is incredible!

It's always especially gratifying to read a glowing review based upon extended stay. You certainly had time to form an opinion, and I am thrilled that we earned your praise. I genuinely hope to welcome you back to Indianapolis in the (near) future, and again, thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor!

Columbus, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a nice Hotel. The staff was more than friendly. The breakfast buffet was very good. BUT, a few problems. The hotel is not within walking distance(for most people) to the center of downtown if that is important to you. The tv remote wasn't working correctly so we were using the buttons on the tv itself to try to use the menu. I was trying to hook my computer up to the pc port on the back of the computer and it wouldn't work. I called the front desk, but they didn't know why. The tv also had lines and static across the screen of the channel menu so it was hard to see the menu on the screen. Obviously there was a problem with the tv. For the money I spent on the room I think the tv should work right. It was late at night and we were on a much needed date night away from home. Kind of a bummer not to be able to use the tv. I would have had them bring another tv, but that seemed like a lot of trouble and stress for date night. The toilet wasn't flushing well either. Paper still in the toilet after flushing it a couple times. The mattress was as hard as a rock!! I ended up on the couch in the middle of the night. So much for snuggling up to my husband. We were on the first floor and the people above us must have had a pack of kids. It sounded like they were playing basketball above us. Disappointed for the money we spent.:-( Would not return there.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor unless you want to hear everything above you. Make sure you get a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
First of all, thank you providing your feedback as it is absolutely vital to our continuous improvement. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, and mostly, our staff service as I firmly believe that our staff is the heart of the hotel experience. However, I would like to sincerely apologize for any and all disappointments faced during your stay. It sounds as though there were several circumstances that lead to frustrating moments during your date night. The ability to sleep, work, and play are the foundations for a successful stay, and I am beyond disheartened to hear that this was not the case for you.

It is worth noting to future guests that our hotel is about a five minute walk to the circle, depending of course on pace (and how cute your shoes are!), though our staff is always happy to call a cab for guests which is only a $5 flat rate throughout downtown. Our engineering team works daily in order to ensure all aspects of the hotel are maintained and is happy to react to any issues if preventative measures are not enough.

Regardless, it is our goal that each and every guest experiences a perfect stay. Please contact me directly for further discussion, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Indianapolis in the future.