“Fantastic stay!”

Ranked #37 of 179 Hotels in Indianapolis
Louisville, KY
“Fantastic stay!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the Residence Inn on the Canal during the regional NCAA tournament. We were very impressed with not only the hotel but everyone that worked there! The area is beautiful and you could not ask for more in a hotel. Thanks to everyone for making our stay so great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I could not be happier to read the review of your stay with us. The NCAA Tournament was certainly a busy weekend in Indianapolis, and I'm glad that we could provide a comfortable home base for your getaway. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor, and I hope you'll be back to visit soon!

Katherine.Boehner@WhiteLodging.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Princeton, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I read several very positive reviews for this hotel before making my selection.. I chose it based on its pet friendliness since my dog was traveling with me, location (near convention center), and good reviews. I must say some hotels are what I would call "pet tolerable" however this hotel was truly pet friendly! When I arrived I asked for a quiet room and a best effort was given to insure my request was met. From the moment I checked in the front desk staff knew my name and my dog's name. The entire staff was very cordial during all interactions with them. I was impressed with the overall surroundings and cleanliness. I witnessed a member of management walking down the hall with a rag in her hand dusting the tops of the fire extinguisher cases as she walked along! My room was well appointed and very clean. I found the bed to be especially comfortable giving me a great nights rest. As expected this hotel lives up to and in some regards even exceeds what I have experienced and expect in a Marriott brand property. Thanks for a great stay I highly recommend your hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shane F
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Though I am saddened that you and your four-legged friend eventually had to leave us, I could not be happier to read your review. Our entire team pours our hearts and souls into making the experience at our Residence Inn on the Canal a memorable one, and it sounds as if we acheived our goal! I hope that you come back to visit- might I suggest this summer? I know he'd love a long walk on the water! Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you, including making future reservations, and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 9, 2013

You feel like you at home here. The front desk personnel know your name and make sure that all your needs are meet and that you are satisfied. The rooms and suites are clean, well equipped and comfortable for an extended stay or a brief one. This is our 3 rd stay and we will continue to return.
Dinner at night is complimentary M-Th.
Nice full breakfast every morning.

Room Tip: Rooms that are suites have fireplaces, beautiful on the canal. Wouldn't stay on LL because of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for both taking the time to write a review and for reviewing so many key points. We try every day to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel that we can possibly be, and I am delighted to hear that our efforts made a difference in your stay. I especially appreciate your input as you are a repeat guest- you firsthand know how that makes you royalty in our book! Thank you for continuing to visit us when you are in Indianapolis and I hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

Lawrenceburg, Indiana
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a "night away from kids" experience. The staff was super nice, professional, and helpful - especially Victoria and Brian S.!!! The hotel was clean and updated and we're very picky! The only negative is the walls seemed to be paper thin..so much that I heard the sound of snoring - not coming from my husband. We could hear conversations and bathroom noises as if they were in our very own room. Overall though, a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
I am elated to hear that our hotel suited travelers as "picky" as you and your husband! We live and breathe the mission of providing the cleanest and friendliest hotel, so reading your review which mentions both is absolutely music to my ears. Front desk agents Brian and Victoria will especially be glad to see their good work hasn't gone unnoticed, so thank you for going out of your way to provide feedback. I do, however, apologize for any disappointment faced regarding our physical structure. We try to minimize discomfort for all of our guests, but of course, any interruption to sleep is less than ideal. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss this further. I hope we can welcome you back on any future trips to Indianapolis and again, thank you so much for your review!

Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

From reservation through check-out, the staff was exceptional! Cherie, thank you so much for the personal service, and the beautiful words of praise to my daughter!
Our suite was fabulous! The bed was extremely comfortable, the living room/kitchen area was very nice. A great place for an extended stay!

• Stayed January 2013
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I cannot emphasize enough how much it warms my heart to read your review. From suite to staff, it seems you experienced the world-class service we strive to provide. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Cherie as well! Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel, and please let me know if you have any returning trips to Indianapolis. I would be happy to book your stay myself!

Wasilla, Alaska, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I would recommend for anyone wanting to stay in Indianapolis to stay here! It is within walking distance to cultural and art institutions as well as Lucas oil stadium. I stayed here for three weeks on business and the staff were always cheerful and helpful. They are always ready to help with any question you have and if there is anything wrong they go out of their way to fix it. Great suggestions for dining and events happening around town. My husband and I were finalizing a loan on our house out of state and they found me a notary public and a place to fax my paperwork. It was a great place away from home. I rarely felt homesick my three weeks there. If I ever get back to Indy, there is no place I'd rather stay. I was in Indy in 2005 and wish I had known about this hotel. I would have stayed there instead. Great staff and wonderful location. Katie was exceptionally helpful, but everyone works towards excellence at this hotel. A must stay.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the canal have a good view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I could not be more excited to read your review- thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience. It was a pleasure to host your group for three weeks and I am delighted that we could minimize any homesick feelings, especially considering how far home is! If you ever find yourself on a return trip to Indianapolis, please do not hesitate to contact me so I can set up your reservation and welcome you back. Again, thank you for your review and have a happy 2013!

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Wonderful front desk staff at check in and with help finding a good restaurant at night. Good, clean rooms and a very good downtown location. As a Marriott loyalist I am very familiar with their hotels; Residence Inns, Courtyards, JW's, and Townplaces, so I am not easily discouraged by any small lapse in service or quality. But this was a unique Marriott experience when it came to breakfast. When several of us were told that there would be no more food brought out 30 minutes before breakfast was to end, I spoke to the front desk supervisor. She was very nice and told me she would get the General Manager to make sure breakfast would continue. The General Manager told me that there would be food and that I just did not understand the cook, and that she had not understood me. The cook had told me clearly that there would be "no more" food brought out. She later told the General Manager there could be more in ten minutes. I found the whole thing kind of insulting. I just wanted to eat a small breakfast and get back on the road. She then told us that she would "write up" the cook, which I found amateurish for a General Manager. Her whole approach with me was that I somehow did not understand how breakfast worked and that I also misunderstood the cook, and how she treated guests. Once I finished the food the I could eat (the other pans remained empty) I left the room. About 15 minutes later, the same General Manager was following another guest into the elevator stating that she was sorry for his experience at breakfast (something about not being able to get water or food) and that they needed to "make it up to you". It made me feel a little better that I had not lost my ability to navigate a breakfast line, but made it clear that this property is managed by a person who lacks the experience to manage basic guest relations. The property is good, and the staff generally is great, so I suggest you deal with them and avoid the inexperienced manner of the General Manager. Again, nice rooms and great location!

Room Tip: The canal side of the hotel was great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank savvytravelerguy
GMRICanal, General Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
First of all, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experience here at the Residence Inn on the Canal. I especially appreciate being able to commend our front desk and housekeeping associates on a job well done regarding helpful information about the local area and the cleanliness of the room. I also want to take full responsibility for your breakfast experience. Had hot food been out consistently, the entirety of the situation could have been avoided and you are absolutely correct in that that should be the expectation. That being said, I would also appreciate a chance to clarify. In this particular situation, I overheard a conversation from my office in which a guest requested the manager’s attention. I attempted to rectify the service experience in several ways, and finally made mention that written documentation of the associate would take place which is our standard procedure. Upon further investigation, I found that the cook had jokingly told a long-term guest that he would not get any more food today. Many of our extended-stay guests become like family and the guest in question who has lived here for more than 6-month certainly falls into this category and thus engages in the same joking manner that one might with family at home. In actuality, all food items, which can take 20-30 minutes to cook, were half way through the cooking cycle when I entered the kitchen to check. To the best of my knowledge, at no point was food refused to any guests, be they extended-stay or transient. These circumstances could have been avoided, however I can not change the past. I can only apologize for the miscommunication that caused your disappointment in our breakfast service and in my service to you. I hope that you accept my most sincere apologies and would like to invite you back to experience a stay that exceeds expectations in all categories. Again, thank you for your review and if you would like to discuss this with me personally, please feel free to contact me at 317-822-0840.