Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
$179
$193
$189
  • Pool
All reviewsnice residencemain elevatorsocial hourbedroom suitefull kitchenwithin walking distancebottom floorthe sofa bedeating breakfastfront desk staffdirect accessparking feeindianapolis downtownsmall poolswim meetchildren's museumwaffles
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I along with my family enjoyed an extended stay at the hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed the time spent at Residence inn. I was very impressed by the services provided by the hotel staff. They were very friendly and always keen to help. That made our stay very comfortable. The canal view is fantastic and one can always take a walk by the canal. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to review our hotel (and your home away from home)- it's especially meaningful coming from a long-term guest. I am so glad that your family enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope you know you are welcome to drop by anytime!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

First time to Indy for a conference and I had a very nice stay at this property. The staff at the front desk was helpful and pleasant. Room was more than I needed for the purpose of my trip, but I am never one to turn down more. The room was clean, included a fully equipped kitchen and quiet. The hotel was very busy because of the marathon as another review has suggested, but you would have never known it because it was so quiet.

Breakfast in the AM was a nice unexpected surprise and I do seem to recall there being cookies one afternoon - which again is one of those things that do not take a lot of effort - but really go a long way in differentiating. In another property, something like that would have been charged to my room and in the day and age where you are nickelled and dimed for everything else, this was another welcome treat.

Located right on the canal, it would seem ideally suited for families with children, although the kids may be more interested in trying to swim with the large number of ducks who call the canal their home. Saw lots of families feeding them - and based on their size - something the ducks have come to expect.

RUNNERS- this is a great location because of its safe route and lack of having to dodge traffic. If you start out of the bottom floor (canal level) and turn right and follow the canal all the way down and around the loop back past the hotel you can log approximately 2 miles (one way) or 4 miles (round trip). I used it for a longer route that took me out past the NCAA museum and over to the Indy Zoo and then out to the 3rd or 4th bridge and back (10 miles overall). Shorter routes can be easily accommodated with earlier bridges which take you past the VA Hospital and through the southern portion of IU.

My rating on the restaurant is based on the fact that I only ate breakfast there and it was what you would expect in a buffet style setting. To the best of my knowledge, they do not provide Room Service so I cannot rate the property fairly.

Overall, I would stay here again as it was really a great hotel. Great job to the entire property staff!

Room Tip: It would seem most others suggest staying in a room which overlooks the canal. I did not notice the smell of the pool on my floor or in my room, but I do agree with another reader that it can be noticable from time to time in the lobby.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Clean, quiet, great for running, helpful service- you seemed to hit all the key points! You are correct in that we do not offer room service as all of our breakfast and suppers are complimentary. Please let me know if there is anything with which I can be of further assistance, and again, thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were there for the marathon and this hotel pulled out all the stops. They cut the parking fee in half ($19.00) and donated the other to charity as I understand it. They provided a pasta sinner with beer and wine at no charge. I have never been to a hotel that was this accommodating.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your weekend with us. The Monumental Marathon is an exciting time for Indianapolis, and you understood correctly- we kept with the running theme and donated all proceeds from parking to Back On My Feet, a charity that promotes self-sufficiency through organized running groups. The Carb Dinner was also a hit with pasta, baked potatoes, and other treats. We certainly try to cater to our guests and our community, and I am so glad that it made a difference in your stay. Join us this November and December as we will be writing holiday letters to veterans and making blankets for the Children's Hospital during our evening social hour. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, and I hope to welcome you to Indianapolis on your next visit!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am sensitive/allergic to many smells and the staff first put me on the bottom floor on the canal, but the problem was that I had to pass the pool area with a clorine smell to get to my suite. So, I asked for a change. I was moved to the second floor, canal view. Fantastic! This is my 4th stay and I was treated like I was the CEO. Arrived Sunday, October 14 and departed Wednesday, October 17. I plan to continue to stay here, annually.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to anything, let them know.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

The absolute highest compliment that we can be paid is the decision to return for another stay- so thank you, thank you, thank you. I cannnot emphaize how much we appreciate your return every year, and it is my hope that we continue to be your home in Indianapolis for years to come. As soon as you know your dates for 2013, I would be delighted to book your room myself! Let me know if there is anything else with which I can help, and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here one night on 10/5/12. The people who work here are top-notch. I was greeted immediately on entry by a nice woman with a big smile who checked me in quickly. She made sure to tell me about the free evening snacks (which sounded more like a meal). I couldn't make it (had other plans) and when I came back the other woman behind the front desk also greeted me with a big smile.

My room on the 4th floor was very clean. One quibble with it, though -- I was on the street side, not the river side, and I had a streetlight beaming in even with all of the drapes pulled close. If you're bothered by that, you should try to reserve a room on the other side of the hotel.

Breakfast was fine. I usually skip the fatty stuff and go for the oatmeal, and it was good. The coffee seemed a bit weak, but this is coming from someone who routinely orders black coffee with 2 shots of espresso at Starbucks. I'll add, though, that the coffee here was better than the coffee being served at our meeting at the Marriott.

Checkout was just as fast and friendly as check-in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank you SO much for taking the time to review our hotel. I agree that while all else surely matters, the genuine care from all associates is what sets us apart. I apologize for any inconvenience encountered by the street lights- the silver lining is that guests are able to book city view or canal view, so next time you can be guaranteed your preference.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and on your next trip I'll be happy to run across the street and bring you those Starbucks espresso shots myself! Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.