“Many thanks for a great stay”

Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
Ranked #54 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We reserved via phone while about 15 minutes away on I-65. Before we got to the hotel we were all set. Katie at the front desk made teh difference in this stay for me. Her professional friendly service was what everyone should expect but sadly is forgotten at so many establishments. Based on this visit I would highly recommencd this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: no room service but there is breakfast in the morning and it was above average for the typical chain...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike S
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was such a joy to host you during your travels, and I genuinely hope you'll return to Indianapolis for a bit of a break. Please feel free to contact me directly for reservations or to offer any other feedback. I so appreciate your review!

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have stayed here twice recently on business and had great experiences both times. It is very clean and the rooms are perfect, with full-sized refrigerator, microwave and stove top. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The manager's reception was perfect for dinner, since I
was working, I didn't have time to go out. The breakfast was fine--not the best, but good enough. I have recommended the hotel to some of my colleagues and they were very satisfied with the hotel also. Will always stay here when I come to Indianapolis.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

I could not be more pleased- not only did you take the time to review our hotel, but you returned to see us recently! Our only hope is that our service speaks for itself to ensure all of our guests want to return, and your recommendations are the highest compliment we can possibly be paid. Thanks again, and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss anything futher.

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

The staff are so friendly (you can tell that they are super well trained to focus on customers!). The Happy Hours are a nice touch and the food both nights that I was there was good and could easily serve as dinner. The breakfast was not as good to me as other reviewers stated, however it was fast, complimentary, and filling. The only negative (a fairly big one!) was that my room was not cleaned after the first night. I put a "do not disturb" sign on my door at about 10pm and removed at 830am when I left for the day. When I got back around 5pm or so, the room was not cleaned yet (that happens sometimes) and I left again only to return at 10pm to an uncleaned room. I had plenty of towels, and nothing was really dirty plus I wanted to go to bed so I did not call housekeeping. I am not sure what their check system is, but it failed for my room.

• Stayed: July 2012
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. The feeling of being home is exactly what we try to exemplify here at the Residence Inn. As far as your housekeeping issues, I sincerely apologize for any disappointment in the Marriott standards that we work so hard to uphold. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly. I'm glad that enjoyed your stay and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Indianapolis!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We just returned from an overnight stay at the Residence Inn on the Canal and we had a great experience. We were greated with a smile and warm welcome from Cheri, and she was more than helpful directing us to the places around town we needed to go. When we checked out this morning.

The breakfast was very good and not just bagels, pastries, and yogurt like several other chains that offer a complete breakfast with your stay. There were eggs, sausage, breakfast potatoes, make your own waffels, and several other options. We made sure to eat early, (before 8) to avoid an over crowded last minute rush later. When we walked by toward the end of service it was beyond packed.

Free parking was a big plus. The pool and spa were nice, but it was a very small area. There were about 8 chairs (no tables) for anyone who wanted to supervise their children swimming to sit, however it is very likely that you will be splashed if there a few kids in there. They even had a lift to assist with anyone who is in a wheel chair and would have trouble getting in or out of the pool. Across from the pool they had a game room that is equiped with a pool table, poker table, and a t.v. You can step out to the canal from the game room and feed the ducks with duck food they offer for free at the front desk. This was great for our 5 year old. Ducks even ate right from her hand!

We were there at a very busy time. It was Black Expo Week, and we were warned when we made the reservation that it would be busy all over the city. I was glad for the warning but was in no way prepared for how croweded the city actully was. Not once during our stay did I feel like the hotel was over crowded. The pool was pretty much empty any time we were in there, and I don't think we heard one guest from our room.

The room was very spacious for only being a studio. there was a full size fridge and freezer, small cook top, microwave, kitchen sink, dishwasher, dishes, flatware, cooking utensils, and anything you would need for a long stay and wanting to save some money on eating out and cook afew meals. There wasn't an oven though.

We did have a couple of issues which is why I only gave this place a four. The elevators are SLOW!! Especially in the morning when housekeeping is using them to get their carts to the floors they need. We also had the handle on the inside of our room door pop off. This didn't happen until the end of our stay so it wasn't that big of a deal and we were sure to tell them at checkout. The linnens to the sofa bed were stained which was off putting but we were able to live with it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review of our property- I especially appreciate being able to commend Cherie for a memorable guest experience. I specifically remember your door issue and am happy to report that our engineers took care of it that very day! If there is anything that you would like to further discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you back in Indianapolis!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you have business in downtown Indianapolis, this Residence Inn is very clean and convenient. The staff is very friendly, greeted this weary traveler warmly and my room was ready and clean.

Unlike many Residence Inns, the breakfast buffet is spread out a bit. The bagel and muffin stations are in two distinct areas with separate toasters. Seems like a trivial detail but that is a feature I notice as I stay at this chain quite often and see the backup at other locations. Great idea!

One feature that would be nice to have here would be automatic doors at the lobby. I noticed folks with large bags struggling to open the doors.

Given the price difference between here and the JW Marriott who probably have the automatic doors but no free breakfast, I will stay here again!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to reflect on your stay with us. I am absolutely delighted to hear of your arrival experience as we constantly strive to be both the cleanest and friendliest hotel. I also appreciate your noticing our attention to detail regarding breakfast- we sure find it helpful! If you would like to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would be happy to personally make your reservations for future stays in Indianapolis. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a week during our family reunion. The rooms are spacious and have all of the amenities. The location on the canal makes it easy to walk and there are wonderful views of the city and waterfalls. It is close to downtown and you can walk to historical sites. The breakfast buffet is served each morning and dinner snacks are served a couple of days each week. The staff is more than accomodating. We needed to use the laundry facility which was full at the time and they made arrangements for us to wash our clothes at the Courtyard Marriott across parking lot. We would recommend this location.

Room Tip: Higher floor have less noise through the ceiling.
1  Thank Industrious001

I cannot thank you enough for such a glowing review of our hotel. Your family reunion was a joy to host, and we sincerely hope that you'll choose to return to Indianapolis in the future. Please do not hesitate contacting me for any need that may arise, and have a lovely day!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend and brought our dog. It's a newer property and has nicely appointed rooms, new appliances, great beds. As others have noted, it's on the Indy Canal so that makes for a nice activity to strole down the canal and see the various water fountains. I've stayed in many Residence Inns because they're the only Marriott properties that take pets, and this one was up there among the best. Their marketplace actually had a large variety of items (ice pops free for kids) and the staff was very nice. Breakfast was better than most (biscuts and gravy, scrambled eggs, make your own waffles, sausages, fresh fruit, cereals, etc). The only downside to our stay here (other than the $100 pet cleaning charge which drives me crazy) was that the air conditioner system was pretty loud - so much so that when watching TV, when it kicked on, we had to turn up the volume. Not the worst thing in the world but suprising given the high standards Marriott tries to maintain. Overall, a great hotel for a family stay if you need to be in downtown Indy. We'll go back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to review our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you both enjoyed our recent renovation and our service- as I'm sure you can attest, complimentary ice pops in the heat seemed like a necessity! If you would like to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would delighted to personally make reservations for a future stay and point you in the direction of some great family fun!