“Worst-ever family hotel experience - DO NOT STAY HERE!”

Super 8 Indianapolis/NE/Castleton Area
Ranked #149 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Worst-ever family hotel experience - DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My family and I arrived at the Super 8 motel and were booked into 2 rooms. I specifically told the desk clerk that I was traveling with my wife and 4 children, including 2 teenage daughters. After dropping bags off in the rooms we had to leave for dinner to share our awful room stories. Among the concerns: the building was clearly occupied by weekly ( or longer) tenants and upon our entry we were watched every moment we were outside and felt very uncomfortable and unsafe. One neighbor propped open his door to watch us and revealed a trash heap of a room with dozens of empty bottles and cans. When we walked out 5 minutes later one room's blinds were wide open and a couple lay on the bed. In one room the bathroom grout was full of mold, the carpet was torn, the mattress/box spring was largely and noticeably stained, and the room smelled badly. The other room on the other side of the building had what appeared to be either feces or vomit on a wall (one son took pictures on his phone and showed the desk attendant). As another son declared to the other that he was going outside and the 'tenant' from the adjoining room must've heard and exited at the very same time and accosted him. At dinner we compared notes and made a decision to cancel the booking. The desk attendant told us that we had a 15-minute window to cancel, and that an hour had elapsed. I asked her to reconsider or provide some help, as my wife and children did not feel safe or in clean/secure/sanitary settings. She called a manager who evidently authorized our request to cancel the reservation and not charge us for the rooms.
Sadly, the rooms were charged to my credit card and when I emailed the manager (listed on the bill) the email bounced and was returned as 'undeliverable'. I next contacted Super 8 parent company but have not heard back. I expect I will have to fight to get my refund from this place even though we NEVER STAYED IN A ROOM. This place should be shut down - Super 8 should be ashamed to have their name on this franchise.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank coyneone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Stayed three nights was very nice. front desk was very helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kenny w
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Have stayed at Super 8s before and they were OK but nothing super. But looking for a short night stay was not even great. Cheap yes but did not sleep well. The air did not work and the fan really did not do the job. Would have just use the out side air but it was a first floor room. Told them about the air and they said they would have someone check it out. Used my shower sandals to walk around the room. The beds were made but not sure if the other bed had clean sheets. The bathtub had hair in it and the floor may have been sweep but not mopped.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Economy
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Room was dirty, to say the least. Carpet had hardly been swept, someones water bottle still on the floor by a bed, package of condoms in nightstand, smelled like smoke when it was supposed to be a smoke-free room....the list could go on and on. They did not provide towels for the number of people in the room, which the number of people was clearly stated on the reservations. We had to go down each of the three nights we stayed there to get enough towels. Received nothing but excuses from the front desk. Could not be moved to another room because they were full and I could not get a refund on any of the nights since I had prepaid for their whopping 15% discount if you booked and paid in advance. Also, after I complained, when we returned to the room later that day, the toilet cleaning brush had been left in the toilet!

Room Tip: Dirty, old and worn out!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We just spent two nights at the super 8. The group rented 6 rooms. 5 were OK and the 6th was a night mare. The 6th room had mold growing in the bathroom, shower curtain rod was bent so that the shower curtain would not remain closed thus allowing water everywhere, drain on AC unit was plugged with mold growing in it and not taking moisture out of room so carpet was damp. They tried covering up the must from dampness with some time of spray. Like I say take your chances.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Literally was in the hotel for only 7 hours on business. Got a great deal for $55 and some change. Typical Super 8, no complaints. Would recommned to others.

Room Tip: King size room cozy
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank danten68
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 7, 2010

My family reunion was held at Super 8 in Castleton. Besides the great deal our family was given great rates, the hotel went out of their way to accommadate us. We rented the meeting room, which usually has a time limit. We have a large family coming in to Indianapolis from 11 different states. They extended the time on the meeting room for 24 hrs at no additonal charge. They extended the time for continental breakfast and served it in the meeting room where my family would meet. Everyone was comfortable. The rooms were well kept. The grounds are pleasing to the eye. They extended the time at the pool. I take my hat off to them. They went above and beyond.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family