“"Hotel didn't meet my expectations"”

Best Western Country Suites
Ranked #49 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I booked the hotel through hotwire( this wasn't the hotel of my choice but, I went with it). I had only booked the hotel for one night. When I had arrived to the hotel, The front desk clerk told me the the rooms wasn't even ready and I had to wait for a room for 15 minutes. After the room was ready, me and my family had went into the room and the room was clean. But the hotel only gave me a room with one bed. I was so angry and tired so I didn't want switch out rooms. I booked the room for 4 adults with double beds so, I can't understand how could they get that information mixed up. me and my fiance had to sleep on the couch, the tv kept going out of signal, I had to walk down the street just to get to a restaurant and it was freezing outside, it was 20 below that day and the winds was blowing hard So, I had to get pizza delivery due to the temperatures and gusty winds. The coffeemaker had stopped working. Staying at the hotel overnight was okay, I did feel safe staying there. The water was hot and the hotel has excellent hot breakfast. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
SETH_DOS, Director of Sales at Best Western Country Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

I am sorry you have not enjoyed your stay with us, however you have chose to book on Hotwire.com and bed types you may select are only a request on this type of booking sight and our property only offers one room type so there would not have been another room type to change to. I also noticed you spoke of a wait to check-in to your room but you did not mention that you were checking in at 11am that is well before check-in time of 3pm. And to comment about the Temperatures, we cannot do anything about the weather so I am not sure how the Temperature/Weather would affect this review aside from the heat not working and I know for sure all of our heaters are as I just had them all serviced and tested. The comments about “walking down the street to get to a restaurant” there are 4 restaurants ranging from next door to 3 buildings away and there are more than 20 within a ¼ mile radius of us as well as 14 menu’s of places that deliver in the lobby. We have received a poor review due to the fact Ms. Williams did not get the hotel they wanted and tried to cancel knowing full well that Hotwire reservations may not be canceled or changed for any reason. This is made VERY Clear online or on the phone when booking a room with hotwire. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you aren't going to spend much time in the hotel then this is an okay choice. It is in an area close to the highway that has a lot of strip malls and low grade shopping centers.

We checked in late in the evening, around 11pm, and when we drove up there were 2 police cars out front. We walked into the lobby not knowing what we'd find, but the two officers were just hanging out in the lobby drinking coffee. I asked the desk clerk what was going on and he said they stop in for coffee from time to time, and he is glad they do as it keeps out the "undesirables". Okay ...that's a little sketch.... He checked us in quickly but when I asked him for directions to get to Butler University he said he didn't know as he doesn't go to that area very often. One of the policemen had to give me the directions! I found it odd that the clerk would not have been able to tell a guest how to get to a major destination in the city, but whatever ...

Our room was fine. It is an all-suite hotel so you will have the bedroom plus a separate living room. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of cable channels to choose from. There is a refrigerator and microwave too and an additional small bar type sink. There were some buckled floor tiles and grout missing as well as some plaster cracking in the bathroom, and one of the lamps didn't work, but nothing was so bad that it warranted a complaint.

There is breakfast every morning with the standard fare - cereal, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, waffle maker, oatmeal, and biscuits and gravy.

There's nothing really wrong with this place, other than the unspectacular location. If you can get a cheap rate and it is convenient for you then book it. Prior reviews on this site really rave about it and I definitely did not have a rave-worthy experience, but not a bad one either.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

There are a few things in this comment we would like to respond to.
1. The officers here late in the evening. It speaks loudly about our coffee in addition to it does keep the people that are up to no good away from the property. How can that be a bad thing? Our guests like the fact that our property is a safe place to stay and happy to have an officer around when they are not able to keep their own eye on their vehicle. (many people worry about their property when traveling to an unfamiliar place) Not that we have any issues concerning security, but I attribute the fact that we have not had one instance of damage or theft in or around our property in more than 2 years Largely due to Police and Security presence here at the hotel.
2. Directions. When asked I did say “I am not sure as I do not frequent the area and there are several University campuses in the Indianapolis area”. However I was unable to finish with “I will look it up and print directions if you will give me a moment” when the officer that does know the area very well spoke up and offered directions. Again, how can that be a bad thing?
3. Bathrooms. The bathrooms do need some TLC and we are working on this one room at a time. This is an expensive fix and cannot all be done in a short period of time without closing the hotel and having a very large sum of money without a purpose. As with many business owners, He does not have the funds to close the hotel and do it all at once. We are doing all we can to maintain & upgrade the property as we operate.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Clean and neat in appearance and decor. Good deal for the money. Fitness room equipment is flimsy, but the 3 day guest pass for LA Fitness up the road made up for it. Staff was very friendly and helpful Serviceable breakfast: eggs, biscuits, gravy, bacon, waffles, baked goods and oatmeal.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Selima H
SETH_DOS, Director of Sales at Best Western Country Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you Selima, we hope you come back and visit soon. Happy New Year from the staff of BEST WESTERN Country Suites.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Found this gem by accident and would return in a heartbeat! Great accommodations, service and location to restaurants and shopping. Was there on business, but proximity to food and shopping came in handy for the overnight stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

First, let me start with a thank you to EVA for your comments and your business. We all enjoy what we do so our guests are able to enjoy themselves when they stay with us. I have noticed several NEW repeat guests just in the last couple of months and we know that without ALL OF YOU, We would not be here.

Happy New Year everyone!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have stayed here before and would definitely do so again. Bed was comfortable and we slept well. We enjoyed our breakfast. I need an accessible room and the staff went out of their way to provide one for us. The suite arrangement allows two people to watch different TV programs if they want, which is often appreciated! :-). There are many restaurants and shops in the immediate vicinity and Indianapolis has many attractions available for tourists.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We all thank you for your review, and we will see you on your next trip to indianapolis.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Very comfortably laid-out, spacious suite. Everything was clean and worked well. Fairly quiet location. Only the bathroom fan was a little loud. Hotel gives access to the CostCo next door (we didn't have time for this option, but it's a nice perk). Loved the coffee/espresso machine. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat H

Happy to hear that you enjoyed our property and we look forward to you next visit.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Needed a pet friendly hotel to stay in after our furniture was loaded on the moving van. Had driven by this hotel for years and it always looked very nice. Perfect location, great price, so we went for it. Room was ok, horrible pillows. Bathroom in need of repair and most towels were soiled! The worst, though, was the sofabed. Looked like blood stains on the bottom of the mattress (the part that unfolds when you open it up) and a big spot of what looked like dried urine or semen on top! Promptly closed it up and our daughter slept on our own sheets and blanket! We would have moved to another hotel if it hadn't been so late and we weren't totally exhausted.

• Stayed: December 2013
SETH_DOS, Director of Sales at Best Western Country Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

I have no record of anyone reporting any issues of this nature (either when found or at checkout) and I have gone back more than 3 months... This morning we sent our maintenance through all rooms and have not found it. I believe this review to either be for another property or it is fraudulent because otherwise someone would have asked for another room or at least reported so the next guest does not run into the same issue. I respectfully ask that Trip Advisor double check the brand new user (WITH ONLY ONE REVIEW) , and if found to truly be a legitimate review for this location then we need to know what room, as we cannot correct a problem if we do not know about it OR where it is. Furthermore, we get complements about our bedding particularly the Mattresses and PILLOWS daily, and have even been selling our pillows due to the many requests. Looking at all things ( no issue reported, exact opposite of others opinions, the NEW user account, we cannot find stain's, No bathroom maintenance issues here ) We believe this review is FRAUDULENT or belongs to another property. Thank you for your time.