“Started bad and got worse”

Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest
Ranked #90 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We were nervous when we checked in and there were only 5 cars in the parking lot ... Now we know why! The lot was covered in snow without any salt. When we checked in we found our refrigerator didn't work. We were told we needed to pull it out and make sure it was plugged in. We paid extra for a room divided sweet. What we got was a couch in our room and only 1 TV. Breakfast ... Now that was fun. The meat and eggs were cold in the warmer. When addressed with the attendant, he put it in the microwave. How long had they been sitting there cold? So, I moved on to the waffle maker ... Followed the instructions and it stuck all over. When I addressed this with the attendant, he told me it was yesterday's batter and made more to pour on top of the old batter in the dispenser ... I ate cereal. Also in the breakfast area, instead of news in the morning, they were playing an offensive 90's comedy show. When I pay over $100 a night ... I expect better than this!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MoneyMan70
ClarionInnGM, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I can assure you that we have the lot both plowed and salted whenever it needs it and your stay was no exception. I apologize that the food was not warmed up when it was put out but I'm sure you understand that most limited service hotels have to use a microwave to heat food since we do not have stoves or full kitchens. Our double minisuites have recently had the room divider(archway) taken out to make room for the new Queen size beds we are getting this year.I would love to speak with you about the other issues so that I can work on getting them corrected.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Ok, so this wasn't the worst hotel I have been to, but I would never go there again.

When got to the hotel, waited for 10 minutes for someone to come to the front desk to check us in. We even tried calling from the phone in the lobby but no one answered. When the guy finally showed up, he was dripping with sweat which he kept licking from his upper lip and then our checkin took forever (said he couldn't find the reservation my roommate had made). His reason for the wait was he was assisting another guest. Then perhaps only one person working at 6 pm on a Saturday night is not enough? The people waiting to checkin behind us were equally as grumpy about the wait and then the time it took.

Got to our room and the minute we walked in there was a very strong smell which I would describe as musty. The air didn't work through the night. They also only put 2 towels in a room which was explained to a member of our group that they don't have enough for four per room. Problem is when you try to call to get more towels the one person working can never seem to answer and when you go to the front desk to try and get more you either have to hunt someone down who cant help you because they are busy at the moment or sometimes hear things like, "I can't tell which ones are clean and which ones are dirty so I'll need to wash them...come back in couple hours." Which I guess is better than being given a dirty towel...

The room also did not feel very clean, despite the GM claiming new carpet and new air conditioner. When my roommate tried to complain about our stay, we were offered a small discount along with a lot of excuses. And no, GM, the smell in the room was NOT from new carpet. Maybe it was gone after we checked out...

Had we not had an entire team staying there, we would have found other accommodations. No one from our group was happy, and I would not recommend staying there to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank ddecamp
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The room was fine, comfortable bed and everything seemed to be recently redone except the bathroom, which was OK but could use some upgrades. I stayed at this hotel for a week, as I was in town for a conference and the hotel was across the street. The biggest differentiator for me was the staff - they were the BEST. Really nice people, very welcoming and they made me feel not only like a valued customer, but a very welcome guest. Stacey, Josh, Mike, and even the housekeeping staff were above and beyond in terms of professionalism and customer service, and their personal attention and kindness made me feel like I was staying with friends, not at a chain hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Rooms are newly renovated - Flat Screen T.V.'s, Fresh Linen, Very comfortable Beds, clean and fresh. Friendly Staff and the Breakfast is hot and filling.

I would HIGHLY recommend this property - Just minutes from downtown safe and secure business area.

Room Tip: Westside of building
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dennis H
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked this hotel for business. All my staff were on the first floor and none of them had heat or hot water. Several rooms were not serviced. Wrote a complaint on-site and gave it to the front desk clerk Shawn. No response from the hotel. Would not stay here again. Looking for another host hotel

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelerShari
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We book this hotel through Priceline because I had a credit with them. We had to stay in the area because our son was in a local hospital. So with no recourse, we had to change hotels!
The hotel had an odor as soon as you walked through the front door. Not horrible but it was just the beginning of troubles. We were assigned a first floor room. On the way down the hall the odor got worse. The door to our room was nasty dirty. Inside the smell of...what...dirty carpets and cheap cleanser? Not sure but my allergies and asthma kicked in IMMEDIATELY.
So, we went to the front desk and complained about the smell and told them I was allergic to the odors. The clerk says "oh, then you are going to need to be on the second floor". So word to the wise, if you are going to stay here then ask for a 2nd floor room!
Floor two did smell better. The room was cleaner. Not clean but cleaner. The smell and the gross carpet were more than I could take! We packed up (well never unpacked) and left.
I am writing this from the comfort of the Drury Inn.

Room Tip: Well, second floor if you want less smell and dirt.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank hunt4702
ClarionInnGM, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

We recently changed our room deodorizer and were not happy with the smell it left in the rooms. We've since gone to another brand that is much better. We are also in the process of replacing all the guestroom carpets and have received very good comments from our guests regarding our new carpet. Please give us another try and I'm sure you'd be very pleased with us.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here for the second time for a softball tournament. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Close to restaurants and had time to take in a movie at Trader's Point 12 which is just a few minutes away. Breakfast was good, cereals, waffles, sausage, eggs, breads, bananas. Had self service laundry which was nice since we had to wash ball uniforms. Our room had microwave and mini-fridge. Pool was a little small but we did not use. Overall, very good experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family