“Failed Hotel 101”

Ranked #74 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Illinois City, Illinois
“Failed Hotel 101”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I guess the first job of a hotel is to only book one (1) party to a room. This hotel failed. At 2:45 AM my daugher and I were awakened to a man trying to enter our room with a room key. He was very insistent, pushing on the door, and ignored my yelling that he was at the wrong room. My daughter dialed '0' and the front desk apologized and sent someone up. Damage done. Weeks later, I still see his face thru the peephole in my nightmares, and my daugher is still terrified. The full bill was slipped under my door, no compensation, and I noticed the when I checked out, no one asked how my stay had been. Good thing, as they would have gotten an earful. If this doesn't bother you -- there was almost nothing available at breakfast, my daughter had a previous guest's hair on her pillow, and I had to clean up that guest's hair from the shower.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bill L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Ms. Lisa K.,

I am very sad to hear about your experiences here. I am truly sorry to hear how tramautic it was and truly regret that you were not asked about your stay as you departed. I assure you that this type of mistake doen't happen often. Occasionally though a mistake does happen and I am also truly sorry you made it out our door without talking to a manager. Not only would we have done our best to properly compensate you, but we would also then have the opportunity to work with the staff to develop them to avoid and respond better in the future. Thank you for taking the time and effort to review us, we will use this information to make our team better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was late...we were tired...had been on the road for 4 hours with 8 more hours to go to get back to Atlanta...decided to get a hotel room for the night. I called and found this Holiday Inn Express. Myra was very helpful on the phone...I asked her for a rollaway bed and she took care of it and had it waiting in our room when we arrived. She also moved her car from its spot so that we could have a place to park and she allowed us to park our second vehicle in a safe and secure place. She was extremely kind, efficient and helpful. Such a welcome surprise to have this kind of customer service and attention to detail. Myra made our stop very enjoyable and easy. The breakfast the next morning was very good too. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for a great stop for the night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wow awesome praise for an awesome employee. Last year, Myra was our employee of the year for reasons just like this. It is so nice to have someone in those late hours who stays so focused on customer care. Hopefully, you get a chance to come back and stay for a while.

Thanks for the review and high marks!
Columbus
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is located smack dab in the middle of everything you could possibly need: shopping, restaurants, interstate. Within minutes you can be in downtown Greenwood to the south or downtown Indy to the north. The bed was a little firm but the bedding and pillows made up for that in a big way. I relaxed in the spa tub and it was divine. The complimentary breakfast exceeded expectations. I couldn't believe the selection available and it was all fresh. Don't skip breakfast if you stay here! I would definitely recommend this hotel and plan on using it again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Debbie B,

What a nice review. We do think our location is a wonderful asset, enabling such easy access to everything the Indianapolis metro area has to offer. We are glad you liked your breakfast and will make sure our hardworking hosts know how much you appreciate their efforts.

Thanks for brightening our day!!
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The staff at this hotel are excellent and it is clean and safe and great if traveling with pets. The location is good for airport or to drive downtown. However, the neighborhood is a bit rough around the edges and I did not feel safe traveling to this area with my kids without my husband. There were a lot of working men and it felt dangerous on a Friday night. The hotel itself was great. The staff, pool, food and housekeeping were all terrific and the price was good, but not a great choice for single women and children.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bill L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
We are glad you found our hotel, clean and friendly and that you had the chance to enjoy the pool and that breakfast and our other service where top notch. I am sorry that the area and some people made you feel uncomfortable, as our neighborhood continues to develop we are confident that those items will change, Again we are so happy you found the hotel clean and plesant and that it suited your needs well.
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Making our way from PA to MO, we stopped here for the night. The staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms were extremely clean. Bed was a little firmer than I like but that is easily overlooked and the pillows were super comfy.

Breakfast was wonderful the next morning (even our picky 4yr old approved). Will be staying there again on our way back to pick up our little one next week from his grandparents! Has to be one of the first places I have ever stayed that I actually look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Wow what an awesome review, thanks for taking the time to write it. We are glad that your family enjoyed their night and breakfast. We are glad to be the spot to rest and recover on your travels.
Madeira Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night after Indy 500. It was a good location to the city, yet not the higher city prices. We easily drive into the city for activities and also had good places to eat nearby.

The staff was very friendly and helpful offering us suggestions on where to eat. We will plan to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Bill L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Diana,

Thanks for taking the time to review us. You are right, we have easy access downtown without the downtown hassles..prices and parking. Best thing is that happens all the time not just during special events. We truly love it when our guests enjoy themselves and want to stay again!! Glad you had a nice time here in Indy.
Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Driving 1200 miles from Milwaukee to Florida, we left late to avoid Chicago traffic and planned to make a quick pit stop south of Indianapolis before continuing our journey. This location is ideal, about 30 seconds off I-465. We booked two rooms the day of travel and got an incredible rate on one of the travel sites. Free Wi-Fi, free parking, and free breakfast are much appreciated.
We were dead tired upon arrival, but the night clerk made check-in very easy. She was so pleasant at 1:30 a.m. that, despite my sheer exhaustion, she made me smile. We were assigned first floor connecting rooms near the exit door, which made for easy egress in the morning. Despite being on the first floor, we heard not a peep during the night and slept very soundly. We love Holiday Inn beds and pillows - they slurp you in for pleasant dreams.
Rooms were well furnished with coffee service, microwave, mini-refridge, ample toiletries. One in our party didn't have a toothbrush ... the front desk provided one gratis. I really like that HI provides free personal hygiene items, should you forget something.
Free breakfast included scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausage patties, instant oatmeal, four cold cereal choices, pancakes, toaster waffles, muffins, pastries, etc. The coffee was good. The chef might put less salt in the scrambled eggs, but otherwise no complaints. Some fresh fruit would be nice for healthy eaters, as would some non-porcine meat (turkey sausage?)
All in all an excellent experience. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FancyFree55
Bill L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hi! Thanks for your thorough review. We really appreciate your feedback. Especially on what we can do better. We will also forward your ideas to our corporate offices so they can look into expanding our menu. Again, thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to review us.