“Great BBQ! How have I missed this place?”

Hank's Smoked Briskets
Ranked #228 of 2,363 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great BBQ! How have I missed this place?”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I live on the west side of Indianapolis and have no idea how I've missed this gem. I was in the mood for brisket and looked on the web and saw some good reviews for Hank's. It's right by the Dairy Queen on MLK across from the west side of Crown Hill cemetery.

I liked everything about the restaurant which is carry out only. It a nice, clean building with just a window for carry out in the front. A sweet lady named Brenda told me about my choices and took my order. Hank who learned the art of BBQ in Texas sent out a taste of brisket and his corned beef. Both were incredibly flavorful, smoked and cooked to perfection. I ended up getting the brisket with a side of a great BBQ sauce. His cole slaw is great and had just a little zing that I wasn't sure what did it but I liked it. I capped it with a good creamy potato salad.

Next stop I gotta get a corned beef on rye with Swiss and mustard. I hope you all will travel over to the west side and give this nice talented man your business. He also sells BBQ by the pound for bigger gatherings and football games. I plan to be a regular from here out. I really enjoyed the hospitality!

• Visited October 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Hank's Smoked Briskets is a Winner”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I just finished my meal from Hank's. I had a pulled pork sandwich with sweet sauce and baked beans and potato salad. I like pulled pork sandwiches a lot and have tried quite a few versions around Indy. I'm not sure if other cities are as fond of this sandwich but Indy has what seems like a large selection. Anyway, what I can say is Hank's version is as good as any I've tried. I haven't had one I think is better and they now have a new regular customer in me. The meat was tender and the smokiness just seemed ideally prepared. The sauce was sweet but not sickeningly sweet. The potato salad was unlike any I've had with the usual tangy flavor and a subtle undercurrent of spice, maybe chili powder. The review before mine mentioned curry so maybe that's it. The owner Hank was in here and I chatted with him and the co-worker. They are both friendly and talkative and they are definitely going to see my face again.

• Visited September 2013
Saint Charles, Missouri
“Smokey, succulent delicious-ness”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Moist, juicy & awesome. Friendly service and great sides. Since it was our first visit, they gave us samples of the beef & corned beef brisket. They were both yummy but we went with the beef--even my 6 year old loved it. The potato salad is to die for--sweet, yellow potato salad with a bit of curry--excellent! The slaw and Mac n cheese were great as well. If you are in the area, you must find your way here but plan on eating it in the car or at your hotel or a park--not an eat in place. Their Devil's Food cake was delicious too!

Visited August 2013
Schertz
“"Borrow" an Indy Car and Get to Hank's FAST!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

OMG! This is the best pulled pork sandwich I've had outside of TEXAS! Guess what my friends? Hank is from TEXAS! Let them know you're a "first-timer" and you may get to sample some of the fixin's. I sampled the smoked corned beef...practically melted in my mouth, and I'm not even a corned beef fan. There's no seating in Hank's, except for a couple chairs while you wait. Hank's is a stand-up, take-out counter, so plan your meal to go. Take a picnic to the Indianapolis Museum of Art or the co-located Oldfields-Lilly House and Gardens. TRUST ME...YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED if you like SMOKED MEATS. Hank's potato salad has a twist on the standard recipe with a hint of curry and sweet pickles, giving it an overall sweet taste with a mild zing. I'm taking my wife back next weekend and will recommend Hanks' to my friends. Enjoy!

• Visited August 2013
Carmel, Indiana
“Yummy!!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Needed to order some pulled pork for two parties that I'm hosting back to back. Found Hank's while searching on line. I usually order from Squeelers but I wanted to try something new this time. We decided to go to Hank's for lunch so we could try it out before ordering the food for the party. We were surprised when we walked in that there was just a walk up window and a few chairs to sit while waiting. We met Hank and he offered us samples of the beef brisket with barbecue sauce, corned beef brisket and the pulled pork. All three were excellent! My kids who said they just wanted a pulled pork sandwich ended up going with the beef brisket and my husband and I ordered the corned beef. They helped us figure out how much meat we needed for our parties and offered to put it in separated containers ready for each party. Since there were no tables, we took the food home to eat. Our mouths were watering the whole way home! We destroyed all the food. We are all looking forward to our parties when we get to eat some more pork and brisket! I highly recommend this for your next party or just a family dinner!

Visited June 2013