“A highlight to our trip!”

Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel
Ranked #52 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Lynchburg, Virginia
“A highlight to our trip!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We booked this Holiday Inn because it was near the Sheraton Keystone Conference Center where we were attending an event Thursday and Firday... AND it was close to the "beltway" to get to the Speedway for MotoGP on the weekend.

I have to say that after 600 miles on my motorcycle, what I really needed was a hot shower, then a place to have a drink and enjoy some conversation. My husband was delayed, so I arrived alone. I was welcomed at the front desk by three lovely ladies, and given the room keys. There were four luggage carts in the entry, so it was a piece of cake to unload my bike and get everything up to the room.

My hot shower was marred by the slow/clogged drain. So, when I was dressed, I stopped at the desk and let them know the problem. I was pleasantly surprised to find the maintenance person taking care of it when I returned within a few minutes to get something I'd forgotten. <A-plus for fast response!> To get to the elevators, the most direct route is through the courtyard, which does NOT have automatic doors. It was a bit awkward to push the luggage cart through. There were tables and other seating out there, along with a sign that said something like "only food/drink purchased from the hotel may be eaten in the courtyard." Isn't that a bit off-putting.. . Over the weekend, it seemed that this "rule" gets ignored, as I observed quite a few folks eating take out pizza or groceries from Kroger in the courtyard.

I had a seat at the bar and Kyle greeted me with a smile. As a bourbon drinker, I was pleasantly surprised by the fairly large selection of higher end bourbons available. I ordered a Woodford Reserve, and the Jerk Chicken Quesadilla (appetizer) as my late supper. Kyle and I chatted a bit as he went about his duties. He was very personable. My quesadilla arrived. It was hot and delicious, just what I needed.

After my meal, I changed and headed back down to the pool area for a soak in the hot tub. Unfortunately, the water level seemed to be about 6 inches too low, and the positioning of the water jets was such that the tub was more of a fountain than of any therapeutic use.Nevertheless it was nice to sit in the hot water and listen to the white noise of the jets.

The bed... I don't understand why Holiday Inn bothers with the stupid "firm" and "soft" tags on the bed pillows. I have yet to encounter a location where there is any discernible difference between .the "firm" and "soft" labeled pillows. In fact, at this location ALL the pillows were beyond firm. In fact, they were more like sofa cushions than sleeping pillows, very thick and quite firm. I'm a stomach sleeper. A too firm, too fat pillow is really uncomfortable and makes for neck pain in the morning. I need a thin or at least a truly SOFT pillow..

We walked down for breakfast and were greeted by Blaine. A friendly, helpful guy. Blaine took great care of us. When my oatmeal looked a bit watery, he carried it back to the kitchen for a new portion. He filled coffee and was right there with whatever we needed.

It was quite simple to get to Keystone Center from the Holiday Inn without needing to get on the highway during rush hour, and it took about 20 minutes to get to the Speedway from the hotel. Not too bad.

Overall the hotel is large and well appointed with very friendly and helpful staff. The campus like setting is great. I would consider staying here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pam F
Zachary D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Trip Advisor Member,

We thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are so happy to hear that you were welcomed warmly by our entire team and that when issues did come up, we were there to take care of them in a timely and efficient manner. Again thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. It was our pleasure to be of service to you.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Zachary Donofrio
Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Monument, CO
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We needed to organize a small team meeting in Indianapolis and because of location and previous experience, I chose this property. It was reasonably priced and also had conference facilities that we took advantage of and Brandi was very easy to work with and made it seamless. My group also enjoyed relaxing in the evening as Kyle, the server/bartender who was more than efficient and friendly, almost making us feel like we were at home; recommending restaurants in the area to be able to get out of the hotel and also experience, Indianapolis. The housekeeping staff were efficient and thorough and the front desk staff, more than helpful. The locations allows for walks in the morning without traffic and safe sidewalks! I would stay here again without hesitation and my group agrees, it was a great choice!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the freeway ... they are much quieter!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pagelynn
roboutz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time to write a review on Trip Advisor, and for chosing to bring your group to the Holiday Inn Indianapolis-Carmel! I appreciate the comments and complements you gave our staff, especially pointing out Kyle in the bar. He truly has a gift for what he does, and we hear it often from our guests. He is an asset to this hotel!

Again, thanks for staying with us, and for writing your review - it was truly pleasant to read, and to share with our team members. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are coming to Indy!
Decatur, Indiana
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Booked online for a one night stay with husband & kids. Was a bit nervous as we usually stay at higher end hotels but the reviews were good I thought. Was pleasantly surprised by the clean updated look of the hotel. It was in a business-y type area & very quiet. We arrived very late at night, check in was smooth & on to our room. All we wanted was to get cleaned up & bed, got the first part done but the bed part was very disappointing. I knew it was going to be a rough night when my 9 year old daughter, who is underweight, hopped in bed & the bed took on the shape of a "U". Totally sunk down in the middle, even the box spring sank. The odd angle made it very, very hard to get compfortable. Made my head at such an odd angle trying to use a "soft" pillow. After tossing/turning all night woke up to aches & non-rested. All of us. It ended up making for a very long day, I had shooting pain down my neck all day & EVERYONE was grouchy from not sleeping well! So sad to say, what seemed nice & updated may just have been a partial update b/c those beds need replaced!! The only pro's were the hot water, took no time for steaming hot water in the shower or sink & in the morning it was $10.99 per adult for breakfast & 2 kids could eat free. That was nice to have an affordable breakfast with healthier options than a greasy drive thru. In the end we were glad we did not plan on another night there, I would have had to try to cancel, our family would not have survived another night of no sleep!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear LizH95,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to know you appreciated the condition of our hotel as well as the hot water and breakfast. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the bed. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Garnerville, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Every time i come to Indianapolis i stay at this hotel. all the staff are outstanding and will do anything to make your stay comfortable. When i stay at this hotel everybody treats me like a king and remembers my name. kyle the main bartender always remembers my name and what i drink and is an asset to the hotel.What makes this hotel great is that it is clean,service excellent,along with a good value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bob72013
Thank you so much for taking your time to write a review on Trip Advisor, and for chosing to stay at the Holiday inn Indianapolis-Carmel! I appreciate the comments and complements you gave our staff, especially pointing out Kyle in the bar. He does a great job, and is truly in his element at the Hoosier Grill bar!

We appreciate your continued loyalty when you travel to the Indy-Carmel area. We are very proud of the $3.5 million renovation, and conversion to Holiday Inn. But I am equally, if not more so, proud of our team members that strive to make the Holiday Inn Indy-Carmel the best hotel experience a traveler can find when coming to this area.

Again, thanks for staying with us, and for writing your review. I look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you back to Indy!
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed July 28, 2013

While spending 3-4 days/week in the area, this is the best hotel I've found, especially for the price. Very attentive staff that goes out of their way to make sure you have what you need. Kyle, the server/bartender, seems to remember every repeat guest's name when they sit down to order, the staff at breakfast are always chipper and energetic in the morning, and the front desk staff is great to deal with. The rooms could use some minor updating, but overall they are just fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

I appreciate your headline..."a great place to stay for business travel". Another review I responded to had a headline stating "they know how to treat groups". I am proud that wheher our guests are on business travel, with a group, or leisure travel, our team members care and work diligently to make it the best hotel experience in the Indy-Carmel area!

Again, thanks for staying with us, and for writing your review. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are coming to Indy!
Pflugerville, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel was interestingly situated so that it felt secluded. Inside, I did find the arrangement kind of awkward where you have to go into a courtyard first and through another set of doors from the lobby to get to a room. It makes three sets of doors you have to go through with your luggage before you get to the elevator. While the one into the lobby is automated, the other two are not which means one of you has to hold the door open to get the luggage through.

When we were there it was a Sunday night (July 7th) and the hotel felt very empty. I'm not sure that there was anyone else on our floor. The room itself seemed comfortably laid out and pretty standard as far as rooms go these days. As with the other rooms we stayed in on our 2 week road trip, the TV was set up so that you could hook an HDMI cable to it and link up your computer. The free wi-fi was serviceable but would have preferred something faster. The pool was indoor and while my son and I enjoyed it, it would have been nice if it had at least some areas that were deeper than 3 feet. All in all, I think it was quite comfortable and a good value which made it good for a one night stay but not sure how multiple nights would hold up. One of the previous reviewers mentioned breakfast and I would note that as far as we were aware, there was not a complimentary breakfast. Bear in mind though that we booked through Hotwire, so maybe they have different regular promotions that involve a complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Your observations about the courtyard are good. It is a great place to relax and have a cup of coffee or a drink, especially with the new furnishings that were purchased as part of our recent renovation. However, it can seem strange to walk outside to walk back inside. We do have interior corridors on either side of the courtyard connecting to the guestrom tower, if you prefer not to go through the courtyard. I also appreciate your observations on our new HD TV's, which are very easy to connect other devices to. I am concerned that your internet experience was not as good as you would have liked, as we generally get great feedback on our internet service provider, and are scored high on surveys we receive through Holiday Inn.

Our pool is more of an exercise/lap pool, so kids looking for the "deep water" experience wont get that here (however, I generally find when kids get in water they make it fun!) but our guests do have access to the near-by Five Seasons Family Sports Club, which has multiple pools. We also provide complimentary transportation there, which is just a few blocks away.

And finally, we do have a restaurant, the Hoosier Grill, proving breakfast and dinner. We do have rate packages that are breakfast inclusive, but as a full service hotel with a professional culinary and service staff, a complinteray breakfast with all rates is not part of our operating standard.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel after a great day visiting Indianapolis. A nice welcome at the reception, a nice clean and comfy king bedroom on the 2nd floor. The hotel looks great with a patio/garden in a very quiet area north of the USS Indianapolis Memorial Highway and minutes from restaurants and shops.
All the ingredients were there to have a great stay in the hotel, BUT....that evening, a whole group of teenagers with their teachers were staying at the hotel and most of them on the 2nd floor.
The great stay became quickly a kind of nightmare having these kids running and shouting in the corridors till late at night and early in the morning, knocking at the room's door and having the teachers speaking loudly in the corridor at the early hours of the morning !
I made a complain and reported the incidents to the receptionist in the morning who simply apologized for the trouble without offering any compensation.

I think that any hotel should consider important the tranquility of all their guests and when they have a group or class of teenagers staying in their hotel, they should anticipate any situation and allocate rooms to their other guests in a different floor. I consider there was a lack of judgment and customer service from the hotel that affected a lot the quality of our stay.

The breakfast was surprisingly good with high standard of service and quality of food that you wouldn't expect from a Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Room 228 is a nice and quiet king bedroom on the 2nd floor, the window giving to an flowery back all...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Igal A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Igal A,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am very happy that you liked our breakfast and found the room clean and comfortable. On the other hand, please accept my deepest apologies for the troubles you have encountered with some of the guests' noise. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being reviewed and actions will be taken accordingly. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Indianapolis you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indianapolis
Drury Plaza Hotel Indianapolis Carmel
#73 of 182 in Indianapolis
Staybridge Suites Indianapolis - Carmel
Hyatt Place Indianapolis/Keystone
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis/Carmel

Been to Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel? Share your experiences!