“Wish I had stayed somewhere else.”

Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel
Ranked #52 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

It started badly: the main entrance was under renovation which required we park and enter on the side of the building without an awning in a driving rain storm. Next, we had to maneuver through trash-laden tables left over from a broken up business/sales meeting and hallway furniture (this was difficult enough WITHOUT baggage and near impossible WITH) to the front desk. There the desk clerk tried to get us checked in by working around the handicap of obscenely long fingernails and a desk cluttered with papers and cards. She finally had to call her supervisor to complete the task.
Once my wife got into the room, I retrieved the luggage and found that my card would not work upon my return. Fortunately, my wife let me in and after unpacking traveled back to the front desk to have my card repaired.
At this time, we left, had dinner and some coffee and returned to settle in. I noted low water pressure at the sink while I washed my hands and then it finally stopped altogether. I checked the bathtub and found the same. A quick call to the front desk and I found out the water main had been shut off because a leak had been accidentally caused. In about 30 minutes the water had been turned back on and black sediment spewed from all the faucets. We had no alert from the management.
When this hotel had been booked (by an outside party), the hotel failed to inform them that it was teenage, giggling girl invasion night so I was serenaded throughout the night by the sounds of loud conversations and running through the hallway. To top it all off, I discovered that there were a multitude of excellent-appearing hotels between here and my site visit location for the next morning. Thank you, Holiday Inn, for making a business trip unbearable.

• Stayed: April 2013
Zachary D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Trip Advisor Member,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with our team and the travel community. First and foremost we owe you a BIG APOLOGY for the experience you had at our property. It is our goal that every guest has a relaxing and positive experience when spending their business with us. After reading your review I would have been equally upset due to the inconveniences you faced.

During your stay we did have a hot water leak in a guest room, to make necessary repairs to the water line we were forced to turn the water off to the building. I apologize that this was not communicated to our patrons and yourself. By the time we had drafted a letter, the water line repairs had been completed.

We would to have an opportunity to earn your business back and take care of your next trip on us. I can be reach directly by phone at (317) 574-4618 or by email at zdonofrio@alliancehospitality.com

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn at Carmel. It was a decent room although they are still going through renovations which limit access to entrances. It seems like the rooms have been renovated but I have never stayed there before. The room was a contemporary/slight modern design with flat screen and modern-ish bed. The lights were all FL which I despise but understand due to cost or gov regulation. They missed the mark design-wise with keeping the carpet vs. a hardwood or laminate floor. I had a "rare opportunity" to stay at an actual Motel 6 that was recently renovated and their modern take was better than the Carmel Holiday Inn! Count me in for BX. Modern should include hardwood/laminate floors. This is all pretty nit-picky though - the room was nice and the floor was quiet, even on a weekend night. I would have given a solid 4.

The main problem that I had... that I have to rate a 2 for... is the unintelligible breakfast policy and unmet expectations. Holiday Inn Carmel says... pay us to eat something for breakfast at our 60+ year old hotel franchise - It is like expecting tips at a McDonalds. Seems like it is a Holiday Inn thing - maybe they should all be HI Express.

This HI location is not downtown and it is not swanky - it is a HOLIDAY INN!! Please understand that, property managers/GMs. Your brand is old and outdated no matter how much remodeling you do.

I read some reviews about a grab and go breakfast and inquired about the continential breakfast at the front desk by phone - they told me the time it opened. Heck, I assumed it was free after asking about the continential breakfast - isn't "continential" the hotel language for included? I went down and saw they were setting up the main breakfast buffet for the restaurant but found that even the grab and go breakfast had a fee for non-group rates. I wasn't even mad - I was confused at whoever thought of this and how they could be in charge of a property (even a Holiday Inn) of this size. I asked the front desk at the time and it was just stated that the grab and go was for group rates or paying customers. I have the ability to pay for any breakfast but will never pay for an unexpected breakfast that I assumed was included.

As a BTW...I did not book my stay here - it was arranged out of my control but I still payed for it. If I am staying at a swanky downtown hotel with valet, full service and trendy eats and lounges, I know what to expect price-wise and service-wise. If I am staying at a Holiday Inn in Carmel, Indiana, I thought I knew what to expect. Give a guy a bagel or something - I think Super8 even does that!

Room Tip: Bring some cash for the "continental" breakfast.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
roboutz, General Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to complete a review on your recent stay. We value your patronage, and the time you have taken to complete the review.

I do apologize and regret that your experience was not what you, or I, would have like it to be. We were renovating our restaurant, lounge and front desk/lobby in February through early April, operating these areas temporarily out of our banquet space. Though we did the best we possibly could to maintain "normal" operations, it obviously did not meet with your expectations. We have finished the renovation of thiose areas, and moved operations back into their regular spaces last week. AND IT LOOKS GREAT!!

I would love to see if I can do something to change you opinion. I would appreciate it very much if you could please email me directly at rutz@alliancehospitality.com, or call me at 317-574-4601,

Regards,
Robert Utz

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the second time I stayed here. I gave it an "Average" because the place has been under extreme renovations for several months. I think it will be Excellent once it is finished. What made it TERRIFIC was the great service we received from Kyle in the Terra Nova restaurant/lounge. Kyle made up for the chaos of the renovations by being so friendly and gave us excellent service. The food was TERRIFIC! Love the French Onion Soup and the Pizza. Kyle makes the best martinis! Breakfast was great, too. The rooms are nice, except for the traffic noise, but after a while, you forget about it. I hope they finish the renovations soon, as I plan on staying there again because it is so close to where I need to go when I'm in Indy. It's also close to the Monon Trail, where we can ride our Trikkes. But mostly, we'll go again so we can enjoy Kyle's great service and personality!

Room Tip: Get a room on the other side of the freeway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Carol J

Valued Member,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our team and for spending your business with us. Our bartender Kyle does a great job creating an inviting atmosphere, we will be sure to share your review with him. In regards to the status of our renovation, I am happy to say that we have completed work in our Lobby, Restaurant and Lounge areas and it looks AWESOME!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Unlike many other Holiday Inn's that we have stayed at, and much better. The service was very friendly and the hotel although was under renovations remained quiet and clean. The beds were clean and comfortable. There was a "grab-n-go" breakfast in a side lobby area that came with our group rate hotel package, the meal was a step up from the continental breakfast at so many hotels. This hotel also offered a more nice full sit down buffet breakfast that looked nice for $10.50 pp but we just did not have the time to enjoy it. I asked a staff member if there were muffins on the quick breakfast as we had one member sick that only wanted a muffin. As it turned out muffins were not part of the breakfast but the bus boy and female staff member combined to make sure I had muffins, orange juice, and fruit in a sack to take back to the room. That is in a word SERVICE. The pool was clean as was the work out room. We could not check in until 3:00 as the hotel was so busy the night prior but the staff see to be very friendly, it was just awkward sitting and waiting with nothing for the kids to do for an hour. Although the hotel is being remodeled it seemed like a lot of effort went into signs directing the flow to area of the hotel. We would for sure return to this hotel.

Room Tip: If your checking in early you might call ahead to see if the room is ready.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrianA778
Zachary D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Trip Advisor member,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us. We always encourage feedback from our travelers experience and use this to further improve our level of service. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our amenities and that our breakfast staff was able to help make your stay even more comfortable.

Once again, thank you for choosing to spend your business with us and for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights; we were in town for a dance competition. This hotel is in a corporate area, but has easy access to area restaurants, shopping, etc. The beds are comfortable, but I highly suggest bringing your own pillow if possible as there is hardly a difference between the 'soft' & 'firm' choices that are provided. The in-room fridge (which is an ample size) & microwave that come standard was a great perk & gave us a lot of convenience in the morning. Please note that the main lobby is currently under construction, so we were not able to sit in the lobby in the evening & visit with our fellow dance moms-that was a bit disappointing; because of this construction, parking is mostly limited to either side of the hotel & I thought the parking lot could have been more brightly lit. We did not use the restaurant, which I'm sure is also relocated due to construction...it is set up in a conference room for the time being, but the food sounded good when reading the descriptions on the menu. Would I stay here again? Probably-especially for the price.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank footballwidow1111

Trip Advisor member,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are currently wrapping up phase II of our hotel improvement plan. The target date for completion is April 1st 2013, after our renovations have completed we will offer a new food and beverage concepts in our restaurant and lounge outlets. We apologize if your stay was not as comfortable as you expected it to be. However we look forward to seeing you again once our renovation has completed
Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a beautiful, clean, comfortable, friendly place to stay.
The rates were reasonable and WiFi was included !
Parking was free. Try the chocolate muffins they sell !!!!!
We had breakfast here one morning of our stay and it was served hot and exactly as we ordered. We will stay here again when we return to the Indianapolis/Carmel area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarlRay

Trip Advisor member,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are always looking for feedback on our travelers experience and ways to improve our services. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our amenities and breakfast exceeding your expectations.
Thank you for choosing to spend your business with us!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Went back to Indianapolis after a year of not traveling and due to a contract, stayed at another hotel not far from the Holiday Inn so I went back, specifically for the French Onion Soup and the bartender, Kyle because the soup is delicious and when you're on the road, anyone that remembers your name and what you drink and makes you laugh, is a much needed diversion from being road weary. I was not disappointed by either. Kyle was behind the bar and introduced me to the entire bar and the soup was just like I remembered it followed by their delicious and fresh salad; the perfect dinner with a glass of wine! I understand they are expanding the bar and construction has begun so for the next 5 weeks, it might be a little disorganized but always worth a visit and a beverage and dinner. Thanks for making it so pleasant Kyle and the chef!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank pagelynn
Zachary D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Recent Traveler,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. Your feedback is important as we are constantly looking to improve the guest experience. As you mentioned yourself, I agree, our French Onion soup is some of the best around.

Thank you for stopping in and visiting with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Indianapolis
Castleton
Candlewood Suites Indianapolis
Candlewood Suites Indianapolis
#77 of 185 in Indianapolis

Been to Holiday Inn Indianapolis North/Carmel? Share your experiences!