“Courteous Staff, Otherwise Average Accomodations for an Above-Average Price”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #24 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Courteous Staff, Otherwise Average Accomodations for an Above-Average Price”
Reviewed November 17, 2010

The staff are extremely smiley and nice, but the hotel itself is just average - and IMHO overpriced for being so average. The phone in my room didn't work, the showerhead in the bathroom was extremely scaly, the towels were rough and scratchy . . . and a yogurt in the morning costs $6. The bottle of water they placed in the room cost $4. And it costs $10 for wireless! There's a bar-b-q joint my town that offers free wireless, but you pay $150 for a hotel room and they can't throw that in too??? There is also a business center whose computers you can use, but it costs $0.59 cents/minute - no thanks! Also, when I tried to call the front desk (with my cell, because the phone in the room didn't work) the most appropriate choice on their menu of options was for Reservations. When I got in touch with Reservations, I discovered that a) the employees taking reservations are in CANADA and b) they don't give out correct information anyway. I was asking if they have toothbrushes if you forgot yours and was told NO. Later I found a card in the room that listed free amenities - and guess what? - they DO provide toothbrushes. I would have left all the above on a comment card, except NONE was provided in the room. In sum - Motel 8 accomodations, Four Seasons prices!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear easy1toplease,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay at the Westin Indianapolis. I greatly apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay with us, though I am happy to hear that the staff was satisfactory. I apologize that the in room phone was not working and that the cleanliness of your showerhead was not to scale as well as for the confusion regarding the free amenities that we offer. Please know how much we appreciate your feedback as it assists us in being able to make adjustments that will better your potential future stays with us, as well as the experiences of all of our guests. Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to inform us of the events of your stay. I apologize for any inconveniences and hope that we can provide a better experience to you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
LaPorte, Indiana
Reviewed November 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary the hotel was great. I loved that it has a Starbucks right in the lobby.It is also in an ecxellent location so close to all the great spots, the mall, musuems,bars, cafes,restaruants. The only think we didnt like at all adn would not recomemmend was the Restaraunt "Shulas" located in the hotel. We had heard this place was a great place to eat. However our steaks were not cooked the way we had asked, so we sent them back and they still werent right, so we ended up leaving most of the steak on the plate. My was so chewy I felt like I had peice of tough bubble gum in my mouth, my jaw hurt from chewing that I couldnt even finish. It was way over priced for what we got and they didnt even offer a discount off the food!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear erjer08,

Thank you for comments regarding your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the negative experience that you had at Shula’s Restaurant. I assure you that your comments have been noted and we are ever striving to improve all aspects of our hotel to better accommodate our guests. I apologize for any inconvenience. I greatly appreciate the fact that you and your husband chose to spend such a special occasion with us and I equally appreciate your positive review of your stay. I am delighted that enjoyed our convenient location and that your stay was an overall success.

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to comment and help us better the experience of each of our guests.
IN
Reviewed November 15, 2010

It started off a little rough... check-in was slow. Then, the lady at the front desk gave us keys to a room that was already occupied. I noticed luggage in the room and called the front desk. She told me to step into the hallway & wait for someone to meet me. They immediately sent up a gentleman, Joseph. He gave me new keys & apologized for the mix-up. He was super kind and helpful.

Other people complained in their reviews about the internet. We didn't have any problems. I didn't pay for the internet service...I think it was around $10/day. I think that's ridiculous! The wireless network worked perfectly for us in our rooms. We were using iPhones,not laptops though. So I'm not sure how laptops would do.

Our room was lovely. We had a great view of the city. The beds were mega-comfy. Everything was great. Cute little leaf-shaped soaps in bathroom, nice towels, plenty of shampoo, conditioner & lotion.

There was also a staff member, Larry, who was beyond awesome! He was very helpful and generous. He introduced us to the Executive Lounge on the top floor. It's FABULOUS. You gotta check it out!

GREAT HOTEL

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced upon your arrival, though I am pleased to hear that our staff was able to assist you and helpful in being able to remedy the situation.

I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience and no trouble with the internet during your stay with us. We are currently in the process of updating our internet service and we look forward to completing this project so that we can provide consistent and quality internet service to our guests.

Thank you for your complimentary words concerning your room and amenities. We strive to provide our guests with comfort and quality during their stay with us which is why we provide a Heavenly Bed with 10 layers of comfort in all rooms. Like our internet, we are also in the process of updating and replacing all of the Heavenly Beds and I hope that you will consider taking advantage of this update by staying with us again in the future.

I greatly appreciate your kind words and I am pleased to hear of your wonderful experience with Larry and with our Executive Lounge.

Plainsboro, New Jersey
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Although I stayed at the Westin for business, it was "all pleasure." From the quick and courteous check-in, to the extremely comfortable room, to the equally quick and courteous check-out, I was more than pleased. The conference facilities were excellent (except for a few heating/cooling issues that were quickly remedied) and the staff was attentive and efficient. And I appreciated the "green" options. I would highly recommend the Westin for visitors to Indianapolis. It is centrally located to many other city venues within walking distance, and a short walk over the enclosed skywalk allows vistors to access the mall without braving the weather. I wish I could have stayed longer!

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The Westin Indianapolis is a nice (not great) hotel located in an ideal location attached to the convention center. The rooms ae comfortable and the heavenly beds are indeed heavenly. The hotel is large, but smallish compared to those located in big cities. Service is good.

Wisconsin
Reviewed October 28, 2010

After the large group of high school students left, the hotel became a fine place to stay. On the first day of a three-day stay, my room wasn't cleaned until after 6 p.m., but given the capacity crowd, I guess that was okay. The hotel is in a great location with sky-walks to the mall, convention center, and restaurants. Given that we had nasty weather, the location was perfect. The fitness center was clean and well-appointed. Good selection of machines.
I wish they had a shutte to the airport, though.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I'm going to say I'll recommend this Westin, but with a strong reservation. If you need spotless, continuous Internet, bring your own connectivity (front desk staff say the system is about to be replaced, but it hasn't happened as of this posting). The hotel is beautiful and ideally situated for downtown activities and conferences- we never had to take a taxi and during foul weather citygoers can stay inside to get to almost every attraction and restaurant. There is one staff- Jason, to be exact- who goes out of his way to provide excellent service to each customer he sees. I didnt get to know the others as well, but I only experienced friendly staff throughout the stay. It also houses its own medium-sized workout facility and indoor pool/jacuzzi. It is missing a spa, which would have been great as I had two back-to-back trips and could have used some TLC. But th at's not a complaint- most hotels here don't have in-house spas. I only have two issues of concern: the close presence of the restaurant- which is starting to smell less 'fresh,' has seeped into the lobby carpets and even the elevator landings. I could smell it all the way up to my room near the top floor. Secondly- and this is my chief concern- the ibahn Internet system at the hotel has significant issues. The hotel ended up comp'ing my internet (for which I'm eternally grateful) because neither wireless nor cabled internet was working in my room. The hotel also advertises free lobby wifi service, but, along with 5 or 6 other lobby denizens, I was unable to keep the connection going for more than a few minutes, and the staff was baffled by repeated complaints, unable to give anyone a working answer or look into the problem while we were there. Will I stay here again? Probably- they host a conference I attend on a yearly basis and the rooms are terrific, as well as the staff I met. I strongly suggest they either get ibahn to permanently fix the connectivity and signal issues, or find a new provider. And maybe replace the food-smelling carpets.