“Not great service”

Ranked #24 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Louisville
“Not great service”
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I was very disappointed with my stay at this hotel. The place was slightly outdated, but the location was nice. I was very unhappy that nothing was done by the manager or hotel when myself and 9 other people had to be rescued from an elevator. We were stuck for 45 minutes and the manager did get our room numbers but did nothing to compensate us. I thought in the very least we would have received a phone call to check on us.

1 Thank Louisville-Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We booked nights stay to relax before our baby is born and spend some time together downtown Indy. Booked our room on hotwire for 75$ so I was pleasantly surprised when it was the Westin, since there a few hotels downtown that you can get on Hotwire. Check in was so easy and they let us check in early, about 1 1/2. I requested a king bed at check in no big deal, no extra charge and I got 4 extra pillows..
The bed was AWESOME very comfortable even for a 8 month pregnant women, so is the shower great pressure and hot water.. We used the indoor pool and we were able to be alone, no kids no one, very nice. The only bad things I have to say is there were not many towels in the room and only one bar of soap. Its to bad I didn't read some reviews on here before going or I would have known about there crazy 'mini bar' rules.. When we got to our room we saw the fridge and looked inside for a price list, nothing, then we looked all around and even under it, nothing no list. I called the front desk and asked if there was a price list she said yes, she asked if we wanted one, we said no we not going to use it. She didn't mention that the fridge is electrically monitored and not to be used to personal use. So when we brought our leftovers from dinner back with us I cleaned out a spot and put the food in. Once we munched our leftovers I put everything back, we didn’t think anything of it. Well we did the express check out thinking we were in the clear.. HAHAHA!!! were wrong, we got a charge on our debit card for 89$, so we called them, they informed us it was for our mini bar use. The rattled off a list of alcohol and soda that we consumed, well my husband told them we drank nothing from the fridge, so the man said, yes it shows it was fully stocked when you checked out. So he said he would credit us back all but 25$ for the restocking of the fridge, even though we didn't consume anything. My husband told him there were no rules or list available on the fridge so we had no idea. We felt cheated and scammed, it left a sour taste in our mouth towards the Westin and will make us think twice about touching anything in a hotel room and about going back to the Westin.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JetMecGirl
Rochester, Indiana
Reviewed June 21, 2009

After reading all the reviews of the Indy Downtown Westin i was a little nervous about my travel plans. I booked the room through Hotwire.com, and got a great deal.
As mentioned in a previous review the address is a bit deceiving. The main entrance isn't on Capitol Ave. at all, it's half a block west of Capitol Ave. So if you are approaching from the north get in the far right lane and prepare to turn right on either Washington or Maryland. Yes parking is $25 per night in the closest garage, but you pay this in just about any garage in downtown Indy or any other major city for that matter.
Check in was a breeze, walked in stated my name, I was asked what kind of bed I preferred and handed my key cards, and shown to the elevator. We had room #1107, it is a corner room with a modest north facing view. The room is probably a little narrower than most, since it is a corner room and there were 3 rooms at the end of the hallway. Two corners and a middle. The room did have a stuffy smell upon entering, but once the air conditioning ran for a short while the stuffiness dissipated. No stains on the carpet or furniture. The room had a table/desk setup with internet connections and a phone. It had a HD flat screen TV, presumably LCD, I don't remember, roughly in the 40 inch class. The "Heavenly Bed" was wonderful, it didn't however keep me from snoring, much to the dismay of my girlfriend. She also enjoyed the bed very much. The "Heavenly Shower" was also great, good water pressure and plenty of hot water for each of us to take a shower in the morning. The bathroom sink also spit out instant hot water.
The in room vending machine IS NOT A REFRIGERATOR!! The card inserted in the top of the door states this and even goes so far to inform you any accidental movement of the items inside may result in charges for those items moved. We forgot about this and moved a orange juice to make room for a water bottle and at 2:30 am we got a bill for $3.90 for the orange juice. So don't touch anything in their unless you intend to eat or drink whatever you touch. All in all it's a good place to stay in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 3duckdave
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Hey, 3DuckDave thanks for the feedback. Believe it or not it is really appreciated. Thanks for the comments about parking and the mini bars. We are always working with our business partners to improve from a value for price paid perspective. It's great to hear from our guests and I will pass along your comments to everyone on the team.

Thanks
Kentucky
Reviewed June 12, 2009

Me, my husband and 2 year old went to Indy for a buisness meeting and to go to the childrens museum. I checked the room rate online and it was 228 (wow) tooo expensive. So I went to priceline and got the room for 80 per night (better).
I called the hotel while on the road to find out if there was anyway that we could check in early because our 2 year old was fussy. NO PROBLEM. We were allowed to check in at 9am. GREAT. Check was a breeze and my daughter was greeted by a childs bag that included a night light, first aid kit, child socket covers and a rubber duck. Then we went to our room and the bed was very comfortable, but the bathroom was a little small. So, while my daughter took a nap I was looking at all of the hotel amentities. They brought us a small potty for my daughter that played music, a step stool so she could get on the bed without any assistance, and a extra robe for my husband. The list of extras were a mile long. Also if your children are getting a little restless before dinner you can go to lobby around 5p and they offer fruit, cheese and crackers.
The pool was ok, it did not have stairs (just ladders). The work out room was nice but if your kids have to use the restrooms when using the pool they have to go through the workout room to get to the restroom. The floor was slippery and a little uncomfortable to have to walk through the workout room to use the restroom when you are soaking weat.
The childrens museum is about 3 miles away. There are plenty of resturants, movie theaters, shopping and sports venues close to the hotel. Also there is a skywalk that can take you plenty of places. Hotel was difficult to find on the GPS but we found it after going around the blocks a couple of times. Parking was expensive. Breakfast was delivered on time in the morning.

1 Thank sorency
Sorency, thanks for the feedback on your experience here at The Westin Indianapolis. I really do appreciate your comments and will pass them along to the rest of the team. I hope your kids had a good time while they were in town, The Childrens Museum is great and close. The King Tut Exhibit will be coming to town in the Fall, make sure you check it out.

Thanks for the comments too about the location of the bathrooms in the pool and health club. We just renovated that space in the fall last year, unfortunately it was not possible for us to move the location of the rest room, but we did our best to make it comfortable.

Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.
Illinois
Reviewed June 9, 2009

OK. Let me start off by saying this hotel is not up to Westin standards and I would not pay the rack rate of $259 a night for this hotel. Now having said that, this was a nice hotel. We paid $76 dollars a night , the beds were very comfortable, service was excellent. I didn't wait for my car, the staff always had a smile, held elevators, etc. The valet parking is 28$ a night, but you are in the downtown of a city. That's pretty standard in my experience. We walked pretty much everwhere because of it's very central location.
I really don't understand all of the negative reviews.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jillybean2
Thanks for the great feedback from your stay with us on June 9th. It's great to hear that you had a great time. I appreciate your comments about the parking, we are in the same boat as most of the other downtown hotels. We try to make it up by providing a friendly smile and offering to accommodate all reasonable requests. Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Madison WI
Reviewed June 6, 2009

Spent one night here on business, and I wanted to stay downtown rather than out in the 'burbs. No problems or complaints, but it also was nothing exceptional. Staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. The lobby and facilities were nice but my room seemed less luxurious than the usual Westin experience. The location is great -- adjacent to a conference center and other hotels, and across the street from the state capitol. Several restaurants are a block or two away. Check-in was effortless, though I had to wait a few minutes for someone to appear. My king room was quite small, but functional and very quiet. Bathroom was small but well-lit. A separate closet was very dark. Internet access was $10/night. A basic fitness center is located on the 3rd floor with cardio machines, some free weights and a lap pool. There is no locker room. Valet parking was $28/night; self-park in the adjacent garage is $25.

1 Thank Craig R
homer
Reviewed May 3, 2009

The whole stay started off wrong. The address for the hotel is 50 capital ave, when in fact the entrace to the hotel is either on Maryland St. or Washington St. You can't see the hotel from Capital because there is building in the way. I called the hotel to get exact directions because we were sick of driving around and specificly asked the person if they were at the hotel, she told me yes and then when i asked how to get to where they were she was looking on the computer and was not familar with the area. REAL HELPFUL. I just had my husband pull in to a garage because we had to be somewhere in 30 min. It turned out to be the right parking garage by luck. When we checked in someone had already checked in under our name with a government id, like us. They were nice enough to upgrade our room, but we were supposed to have a treadmill in our room and didn't get it. the concierge was never at his desk. the service was minimal. you were left to fend for yourself. they treated you like you had stayed with them several times. they were many other occurences that were frustrating, but the final straw is when we left. At no point were we told that the parking garage would cost 25.00 a day. Most parking garages max out to a certain point. Instead it cost us 50.00 to park for the weekend. I booked this hotel for convience because my husband was running the mini marathon and turned out to be anything but that and for added fun very expensive.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple