“Elevators to the Dollar Inn”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #24 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Elevators to the Dollar Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked this hotel through Priceline. I normally stay at Marriotts no matter where I go, but thought I would live a little for this trip. NEVER again! We were on the tenth floor. Walking into the lobby, the hotel seemed beautiful and deserving of a 4 star rating. The staff was decent at the front desk. We hopped on the elevators to the tenth floor... and as I walked down the hallway to our room, I was nearly positive that the elevators took us to a low budget Dollar Inn. Surely this was not the same hotel that we just saw downstairs! The baseboards were FILTHY and looked like a scene from a scary movie. Stains were all over the hallway carpet. The walls had scuffs all over them. Directly across from us was a staff room which had a swining door and was covered on the outside with carpet. Our TV did not work, so my husband called down to the desk. We were told someone would be right up to fix the TV. The next morning, the TV was still not working and no one had ever showed up. The room was very bland and someone got lazy and stopped the trim along the ceiling halfway across. Also, self parking is $28 for 24 hours... AKA $28 no matter the length of time you are there. We parked for three hours and left again, which should have been far less according to the prices posted in the garage. Nope! We paid $56 total for parking. After bringing all of these issues to management's attention upon checking out, we were offered a free breakfast at 11 a.m. or rewards points. Umm, no thanks! We will NEVER return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Ambridge PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in November (yes, I am behind on my reviews) for an event at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. I used valet parking, though I didn't get in my car the whole weekend! The location was perfect for anything we wanted to do.
Upon check-in, we had the pleasure of dealing with Kyle, who kindly upgraded us to a nice suite with a wonderful view and club lounge access. How perfect for us after a long drive in to town! He was helpful with every question we asked and made us feel like valued guests and SPG members.
We ordered room service and it arrived quickly and was very good. We also utilized the pool area, which was okay, and the fitness area, which was WONDERFUL! My son is a serious athlete and we enjoy working out while away. This was a facility the Westin brand can be proud of.
The club lounge was very nice and the breakfast options were plentiful. We had a good experince with the concierge and attended our event on Saturday night.
One thing I will mention is the HORRIBLE service we received in Shula's lounge. Perhaps we did not fit their idea of big spenders, but the service we we received was atrocious. I cannot the food was not the quality I expected and the menus did not match what we had seen online. I was very disappointed.
However, upon checkout, when I mentioned this to our guest services representative, Kari, she was appalled. She worked very hard to make things right with us- something I really was impressed with. Another staff member who heard the conversation, Samantha, also apologized. Now neither of these women work for Shula's, but as guests at their hotel, they are the one's who made it right.
The staff I came in contact with at this location are the reason I did not switch back to Marriott after my stay. Before this trip, I had considered returning to their rewards program. This location made me want to be loyal to SPG- and now I have elite status.
I am a little fussy as I spent many years in hospitality management, but I only expect value for what I pay for. I also expect to be treated kindly. The staff here did that in droves.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Munster, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

What's the deal with big city downtown "high end" hotels thinking they can stay relevant with facilities and amenities from the 70's or 80's? Booked on Hotwire - glad I didn't pay full price. If I never see another beige, tan, taupe or otherwise heavily neutral color scheme in a downtown hotel that doesn't offer complimentary in-room wi-fi, it won't be too soon. The Embassy Suites is a better value: for a similar price you'll get similar food quality, better breakfast deals, upgraded facilities, bigger rooms, and a complimentary manager's reception that creates a good business-casual atmosphere. Even some Hamptons can be better values. For a lower price, the Hampton won't put a robe in each room and the food quality is not the same, but the food quality gap is closing, and in today's age, who's really wearing those robes anyway? What most travelers want - even ones with significant means - is a good value. Value means (at least to me) something that is desired or differentiated compared to its price. (For example, I used to travel a lot more and the first hotel I remember with the curved shower head was the HAMPTON, which I thought was awesome. Similarly (and I digress here), my first car was an '84 Mazda 626, and I still love the oscillating louvers that rotated the air the car. That's VALUE!)

If I'm staying at a true American (or otherwise) luxury hotel like a Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria - then yes, I'd expect a robe, turn-down service, etc. and I would expect to pay a lot more money. But at a large chain like the Westin, Sheraton, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc., what I want is free in-room wi-fi, dining options with prices that don't make me THINK I'm at the Four Seasons, a hassle free experience (the front desk forgot to tell me I needed to insert the room key in the elevator to go up - minor nuisance), and a room with at least some pizzazz or character.

Our room was so drab it made the Omni in Chicago look ornate (read my review on the Omni Chicago). The doors to the rooms are flat (not raised panels); the room layout was almost a straight-up rectangle with no interesting cut-outs, surfaces or otherwise, and the bathroom's location and amenities were utterly uninteresting (especially for a big city downtown - come on Indy, you're now one of the biggest cities in the US).

Our toilet "sang" at us at the end of a flush cycle (something is obviously wrong with the functional components). The huge square shower head offered only adequate pressure and the additional hand-held sprayer cluttered the whole assembly in an already-small bathroom space. This would be a nice feature in a large bathroom with a separate shower stall, but in this space it just looked overdone and confusing.

Also, the hotel is on Capitol, but to enter you have to go nearly a block further west. The front of the Hotel "faces" Capitol but there's a redone green space in front of the hotel that's half a block long so you can't get to it off of Capitol. You're almost to Senate before you turn into the lobby. (Just past the "Self Park" on the left off of Washington, which is one way West.)

One good (and important) aspect of our experience was sleep quality. The bed (king) was VERY comfortable even though the sheet "assembly" was a little cumbersome.

Overall, for the few bucks I saved, and since I'm a long-time Hilton-brand frequenter, I would have rather gotten the points and booked a Hilton brand directly. If you're a Westin-Starwood loyal, you'll probably have the same experience with a Hotwire Hilton booking. Stick with your program. I wouldn't come back to the Westin in Indianapolis. (Would YOU pay $18 for 1 lb. of Ruffles?)

Branson, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here during a conference. It was close to shopping, fantastic eatting experiences, and did I mention shopping?? The hotel was clean, friendly and I looked forward to their good morning greeting each day!

Room Tip: The end rooms are always the best and Go Green...it is a very good deal!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great hotel. Friendly staff and nice lobby.

Always have had a good stay over several stays in the last 4 months.

Healthy options for breakfast.

Room request are usually met if not sold out. I am Starwood Gold so that helps. : )

Columbia, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Westin was a pleasant place to stay and was very accommodating to my last minute reservation. My room was clean and had a nice amenities. The hotel staff was extremely nice and was able to assist me in any way. Oh and check out was quick.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I travel a great deal between work and children. This hotel, by far, has been the best one yet. Check in was easy and fast. We did upgrade our stay to a suite that provided access to the Executive Lounge. Darren, in the Ex.Lounge was a wonderful asset to provide recommendations for places to eat and visit. The room suited our needs beautifully. Beds and pillows were perfect and the room, even though adjacent to the ice machine was almost sound proof. I will also say that the incentive of $5 cards to be used in the hotel in lieu of housekeeping was a great idea to promote a green environment! I'll be back in Indianapolis in the fall and will definitely be staying at the Westin again. BRAVO!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a suite when offered. The cost per night equals the amount one would spend on...