“Lousy front desk staff”

Ranked #24 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Rochester, Mi
“Lousy front desk staff”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We checked in Thursday March 7 and were upgraded to a suite which I very much appreciated. I asked about the concierge lounge when we checked in and was assured that it was open 24/7. Since this was the reason I chose this hotel (Instead of the Marriott next door, where we are also platinum) I was glad to hear the online/phone agent’s info was correct.
However, on Friday at aprox 6pm I went up to the lounge to find the door locked and NO note anywhere to be seen, so down to the desk I go…. The smug arrogant desk attendant informed me that “the lounge was closed on the weekend, starting today”. When I mentioned what I was told just the day before he stammered and said…”it was just decided today”. He then said if I hadn’t used points for my stay he’d give me breakfast coupons…. Needless to say I wasn’t happy (even tried to change to the Marriott, but they were full)…. So I checked the internet site, still said the concierge lounge was open 24/7… even called my platinum line and guess what… they told me it was open 24/7 as well. So you aren’t fooling anyone, you closed it because the hotel was FULL for a huge volleyball tournament and you didn’t want to staff it or stock it that weekend.
Also, the 'suite' we were in was nothing special... worn and outdated. It did have a mini fridge which was great. The bathroom was a nice size and the shower had great water pressure.
Housekeeping was great the whole time we were there.
The best part of the hotel was the bell/valet staff...they were great (made up for lousy front desk staff).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I arrived quite early, about 10 AM, and was given a room, which I really appreciate. The room was average. Great location. Service was quick and efficient. Great business hotel.

As seems to be the case often, no makeup mirror or fan in the bathroom. I do not understand this; seems it would be basic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Not my favorite downtown hotel.. but it's always nice and comfortable. Must say the Starbucks and Valet staff were exceptional. The Valet guys were always smiling and extremely friendly. The hotess were just okay, but the room was clean and the location makes walking anywhere a breeze. This is our second stay and all the construction/updating was well worthwhile.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Steubenville Area
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent the weekend of April 5 at the Westin for a conference. This is an excellent hotel. The service all around was superb. Rooms are very nicely appointed. Shula's onsite restaurant is very upscale. Pool and workout area are up-to-date and very clean. The Westin staff did a very good job hosting the conference. The conference food was very good but not excellent. Parking is expensive at the hotel (find one of the "loading zones" on the side street and park for free for the weekend after 6:00 pm). Finally the downtown area where the hotel is located is very clean and safe. Indianapolis is a very nice city. Did I mention the room rate is very competitive given the location. I am to visit Indianapolis again, and if I do I will stay at The Westin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel in downtown
Close to some good restaurants
Rooms were adequate, maybe not 100 percent up to Westin standards
Would stay again for business but not for pleasure
Good hotel bar and decent food for a Starwood
Jw marriott next door looks much nier

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Clover, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Your concierge staff is very accommodating and understood since the front desk is not in direct site of the property's main entrance - I was able to get what I need in a very short amount of time (extra set of towels) - the room was great except that there is no counter space in the bathroom and the glass ledge is narrow but other than that you have the best beds!!!! Heavenly...as they say.

Room Tip: Room view was great - two double beds still give you room to move around and they have connecting ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what aspects of your stay that you were pleased with as well as the areas you feel could improve. Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to our concierge staff as well as about the signature Westin Heavenly Bed. The experiences of our valued guests are of great importance to us and I am elated to hear that your interaction with our staff was in keeping with our standards.

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

It was a nice, clean hotel with great service!! Anything I needed, the hotel gladly provided. All of the staff was so nice. It made the stay enjoyable. The location was perfect for going to the mall and to my event I was there for. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your kind words in regards to your stay and am excited to hear that your experience was positive and in keeping with the brand standards that our guests deserve. Again, I thank you for your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Thanks!