“Nice hotel, rooms need updating.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Indianapolis

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #25 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Chicago
“Nice hotel, rooms need updating.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2008

The Westin downtown is located in the heart of Indianapolis. Very close to all of the hotspots. This is a great hotel. Our room however was not that great. The hallways and room were dated and in need of refreshing, Refrigerator in the room was setting in an awkward place and electrical wiring was strewn about and looked tacky, Overall a good stay for the money. Parking as always for a downtown hotel was $24 a night.

Much better hotels can be found at this star level, but we were satisfied.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — tired room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2008

I go to Indy frequently for business and usually stay at the Westin because of the little touches like the relaxing white tea fragrance that hits you as soon as you enter the lobby and the massage/fruit/cheese "happy hour" they provide on certain nights. My stays usually go without a hitch and my room is usually set to go and clean. This time I happened to be typing at the desk when an enormous cockroach crawled up my arm. I killed it with my wallet (wasn't thinking clearly enough to just use the pad of paper nearby) and called the front desk to let them know that I had found a cockroach. Usually when you find one there's probably a few more of their friends just around the bend. When the shift manager came up, he just removed the offender and offered to (had to) move me so that they could fumigate the room and the rooms next door. Instead of being moved up to a similar or better room, I was brought to a room that wasn't on the club floor and had a broken chair. No other concessions. sadly he was more concerned that I might tell our company's meeting planner (we use their conference rooms for meetings quite often) and asked to confirm the name of our meeting planner so that he could let him know that it was taken care of. The manager only offered measly points only after I had asked what else they could do and gave me the excuse that they can't do much about the cockroaches because people bring food into the room and it's out of their control. I was surprised at how he ignored that this could be seen as a symptom of serious sanitary conditions in the rooms. When I walked into a room at a Marriott that didn't have a clean toilet, they gave me a free dinner at their restauraunt and a enough points for a free stay in the future and acknowledged that it was not acceptable and apologized profusely. It's too bad the Westin handled it the way they did seeing as how most hotels go out of their way for their members with status. Still waiting to hear a response from them. Until I do I'm planning on staying at the Conrad or the Hilton.

• Liked — Professional front desk staff, onsite Starbucks and sundry store
  • Disliked — manager response to unsanitary situation
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
NW Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

We had a trade show in Indianapolis to attend, so I used Priceline to see if we could get a deal and boy we did! We ended up with the Westin - which couldn't have been more perfect as they have a skywalk to the convention center where our event was being held. We were so pleased with getting the Westin for the price we paid as the location was perfect and our stays with Westin in the past have always been terrific. This time was no exception though we were not in the room as much as we typically are.

Check in was 3 pm, but we were allowed to check in 1 1/2 hours early. Very nice man at the front desk. We parked in the garage next to the hotel - very convenient but pricy - $24 for 24 hours. There are garages that are less expensive for overnight, but you will have to walk a few blocks. We paid for the convenience and it was worth it.

Our room was on the 12th floor looking west toward the Marriott. Room 1203 was nicely appointed, two double beds, chair, desk, tv, minibar (don't even touch anything unless you want to be charged for it!), hair dryer, safe, iron and board, lighted vanity mirror. Bathroom was nice, a bit small, and a bit too dark for our taste. But there are two mirrors in the main part of the room, so other than shaving, anything else can be done out there in the daylight. Only other negative was the drain in our tub - very slow. Water was up to my ankles when I finished with my shower, not a deal breaker, but an inconvenience.

The best part of the room - the beds. Oh my goodness, they are exactly what they call them: HEAVENLY! My Alex enjoyed one of the best nights sleep he has ever had away from home! They are firm and soft at the same time, and are just perfect.

The location of the hotel to all that's fun in downtown Indy makes it a perfect place to stay. Two blocks from the City Centre mall, lots of restaurants right down the street, a half block from the Capitol building, across the street from the Indiana Convention Center and the RCA Dome . . . it's all right at your fingertips! We also found the best breakfast place about 6 blocks away - LePeep on the corner of Illinois and New York streets. The best pancakes in all of Indy!

Check out was a breeze since we had no charges to the room. A few steps to the elevator which took us to the parking garage and we were on our way in less than 5 minutes from front desk to leaving the garage. Very convenient.

We would stay there again in a heartbeat, especially if we were going to any event in downtown Indy.

• Liked — Location to all great things in Downtown Indy, and the best beds!
  • Disliked — Parking was expensive, but not surprising in a downtown area
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Round Rock, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

Stayed here during Thanksgiving (it's taken me awhile to get to writing a review), on the 11th floor. I had a great suite with 2 double beds. The room was very Westin; there was a mini-bar in the living room, and plenty of dresser space in the bedroom. The bathroom was pretty normal. A couple things I noticed about the room: first, housekeeping had left the connecting doors open between us and the room next to us (which was thankfully vacant). Just an oversight, not a big deal at all. Secondly--and this is becoming more standard as technology improves--the mini-bar automatically charges your room if you lift an item off its place. This would be fine, but they put all the liquor bottles label-side back, so you had to lift them to turn them around. I was staying in the room with my 20-year old brother, who of course had to see every type of liquor they had. The next morning, I had over $140 in mini-bar charges even though we didn't consume anything. The front desk agent was very pleasant and took it off without question (she mentioned that that's pretty much all she does in the morning, because everyone looks at the bottles). It seems to me that this might not be the best process to use, as it only causes the desk more work.

In any case, the room was fine, the service was great--everyone at the front desk was nice and personable. I'd definitely stay here again. The parking was expensive ($24), but I looked around a bit and that was pretty much standard throughout the downtown area.

• Liked — The room size!
  • Disliked — The mini-bar
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Andrew K
Southern Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

We spent just one night at the Westin in Indy; however, it was a great night. The Heavenly beds are just that....heavenly. They are the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever stayed in! The staff was very friendly and accomodating.

• Liked — The Beds!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank t2andc2
Wheaton, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

Nice hotel in good condition, seems to be understaffed. On check-in there was a big bag of smelly garbage by my door, when I came back 4 hrs. later, it was still there. As I was checking out they had ONE guy acting as the bellhop and valet. He said because an event at the RCA center was letting out my car was blocked in (not true--I checked, but couldn't drive my car without keys). As it turned out, there was some professional basketball team also checking out at the same time. Although I was first in line, it seems that they took precedent because: A) He anticipated a larger tips? B) They are more important than me? C) ????

So this ONE guy went up and down the elevator for each player until the their bus was packed with all their bags. Wait for my car: 1 hr. +

If you're not a sports celebrity, get ready to feel like a VUP at the Westin!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dknelson
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

I spent a day at this hotel for Christmas party.
Arrived at the hotel a little after 9AM, and was gladly accepted to check-in early. A bit of late check out was also accepted. Overall quite pleasant stay.

Check in/out: Even though check in was 9AM, I was able to check-in. Asked late check out at 1PM, and it was also very pleasantly accpeted.
Room: Is a bit outdated. Although the "Heavenly Bed" was really nice and comfy. Found a refreshment center which was locked. Thought it was mini fridge and refreshement center but found out that there is no mini fridge. Asked mini fridge and it was brought up a bit late. Had also trouble with chair, and asked replacement. Air conditioning was a bit old, and sound a bit odd.

Bathroom: Need improvement immediately. Quite old, and noisy. Also, need to wait a while to get real "hot" water.

Overall: Nice stay but the hotel need to make some "renovation" or "improvement" of its facilities.

• Liked — heavenly bed
  • Disliked — air conditioning
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo