“Nice rooms, great beds, no vending machines?”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #24 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Chicago
“Nice rooms, great beds, no vending machines?”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here over the weekend, and mostly enjoyed our stay. It's very hard to get out of those amazingly comfortable beds! The "Deluxe King" room was nice and very spacious, the bathroom was clean, and shower was ok if a bit dimly lit. The floor lamp in the corner was missing a light bulb, but the rest of the lamps provided more than enough light. Location was close to everything we wanted to be near, bars and clubs on Meridian are a quick two block walk, lots of restaurants near, as well as the Circle Center Mall if you need to shop. Thankfully we didn't! We had lunch at Shula's and it was very good, with great service. After being out at a wedding all day, I went looking for a vending machine, I was told by the front desk they don't have any there. I've never been to a hotel with no vending machines before, so would suggest to bring some water or snacks unless you want to pay $5 for the small bottle of water from the mini bar! Other than that, very nice hotel at a great price. Stay there!

Room Tip: No vending machines, bring your own drinks and snacks!
2 Thank SamRothstein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The young lady at the front desk was so welcoming and helpful I will choose this property again and again for the next 4 years while my niece is at U Indy. I may try other Westins she was so nice! Excellent location with easy traffic even on Colts game day. Lots of restaurants in walking distance.

Room Tip: Try Cafe Patachou around the corner.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We did a last minute "priceline" bid and were not unhappy at all with the results. We checked in at dinner time on a Saturday night. The valet workers were helpful and polite, had a quick registration and were on our way to our room. We had a "double double" on the 10th floor. Clean and neat. Just what you would expect! We did not eat at the hotel - and the Starbucks was already closed at 5pm. The lobby was buzzing with people - and apparently the Cleveland football team was staying there (although they could have been on the elevator with me and I wouldn't have known it! )

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your kind words in regards to our staff, cleanliness and quick check in. We are very appreciative that you gave us the last minute opportunity to host you and hope to have many more opportunities during any of your future stays in downtown Indianapolis.

Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Westin Indianapolis is located in in Downtown Indianapolis. It is directly across from the Indiana Statehouse (Capital Building) and is a site to see. The check-in process was smooth and the representatives were friendly. The rooms were comfortable and nicely furnished and comfortable. I had a view of the roof but my co-workers room had a great view of the Capital building. If you are visiting in the winter or encounter rain the hotel has a sky walk that allows you access to walk all the way downtown through the sky walk. There is a Starbucks easily accessible on the first floor of the Westin. The gym was free and accessible on the 3rd floor with up to date equipment. This Westin participates in the "Rent" New Balance work out gear for $5 for your stay! So great for those traveling and do not want to pack workout clothes/shoes. Overall, this hotel was walking distance to many of the Downtown Indianapolis sites and convention center.

Room Tip: Ask for a room of the Capital building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your kind comments in regards to our location, check in process, rooms, outlets, and work out facility. I am very excited to hear that you were able to make use of our New Balance rental option. It is our goal to provide options that decrease the effort of our guests and increase their overall health and satisfaction. Your comments are noted and appreciated and we sincerely look forward to the next opportunity that we have to host you.

Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Went to Indy to celebrate 10 year anniversary. Wanted to stay close to downtown. Used priceline and was excited to see we got the Westin. Very quick and easy check-in, requested a king bed and didn't think we were going to get one but luckily they were able to accommodate our request.Very busy while we were there but the staff were all very helpful. Rooms were very clean and comfortable.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to host you during such a milestone in your life. I also would like to thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff, check in process and cleanliness. It is our goal to provide a smooth and rejuvenating experience for our guests and to accommodate their requests and needs to the best of our ability. We are excited to have had the opportunity to play a small role in the celebration of your 10 year anniversary and hope to have the opportunity to celebrate with you again in the years to come.

Warsaw, Indiana
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We stay at the Westin when we make a trip to downtown Indy for a game or a quick weekend get away. Close to the stadium and the mall. The hotel is always clean and the staff is top notch.
Its nice that you can leave your car with the valet on game day and they don't charge you extra.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Bill E
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your kind words in regards to our location and associates. I am very happy to hear that you found our hotel to be accommodating and convenient. The guest experience is of the most value to us and we are all very happy to hear that your experience was so positive. Please know that we sincerely look forward to the next opportunity that we may have to host you.

Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here back in 2004 and had a good experience so I was pleased when my $120/night "name your own price" bid for a 4 star hotel in downtown Indy on Priceline was accepted by the Westin Indianapolis. This hotel is ideally situated to Lucas Oil Stadium, the convention center and all things downtown.

Please note this review is of a "traditional room" which is the Westin's lowest room class. There are also deluxe, executive and luxury rooms and suites that probably have more amenities included in the price.

We drove to Indy for the Packer Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium. We arrived to check in about 4:30 on Saturday. The lobby smells great and I later learned it was a Westin signature scent called White Tea and Aloe and this was also the scent of the all the toiletries in the rooms. Check-in was quick and courteous and I was told we had been given a "nice room,
on a high floor with a good view". This turned out to be true. Awesome. Bellhops were scarce, even though the lobby did not seem busy. I was able to find one to help with luggage while my husband parked the car. Parking is $28.00/night in an undergroud self park lot directly in front of the hotel. If you will want to use the car during your stay you're better off paying the extra $6.00/night for valet service.

The room was on the small side, but very clean with all the basics. The beds are "heavenly". However, there were many little things that kept our stay from being an "Excellent" experience. First of all the widow was really really dirty. I normally don't notice that kind of thing, but this window was bad. The rooms should have mini-fridges in addition to or instead
of the mini-bar fridges. We travel a lot and mini-fridges are a pretty standard amenity. You don't want to put anything in the mini-bar fridge because if items in there are jostled you will probably be charged for them. There was a $4 bottle of water outside of the fridge on a sensor pad, so that if you picked it up for any reason you were charged for it. I'll bet that ends up on a lot of guest's bills and makes them mad. The cable reception was very very poor with bad picture and sound quality on the most channels most of the time. WiFi is $9.95/day. I really don't understand why some hotels still insist on charging for it. Outside of that, however,
I was willing to pay and couldn't connect to it. No instructions in the room, so we just used our smart phones to check email, get directions etc. Also, the room service rates were outrageous. I'm a huge fan of room service and I will almost always order breakfast
if it is available. Room service is never cheap. However when a continental breakfast (muffin, juice and coffee) costs $17.50 and 2 eggs with toast is $25.00 - I'm out. I didn't see eggs benedict (my usual order) on the menu, but if it were available it probably would have had to pay at least $40.00 for it.

The coffee maker didn't work well at all. If you poured in 1 cup of water, it brewed a 1/4 cup of coffee (and no it was not an espresso machine :) We left a note on it for housekeeping but it was not replaced during our stay. Our bed was made and garbage and dirty glasses were removed by housekeeping while we were out, but nothing was replenished (towels,coffee).
The hotel was probably close to full and I saw only one man cleaning rooms on our floor from morning until evening so I asked him for coffee and left it at that. He looked so tired. I was glad I had tipped well.

In summary, the location is great and at the reduced rate we got we really didn't have to much to complain about. However, for property that bills itself as a luxury hotel there is a lot of nickel and diming with amenities and what appeared to be a shortage of staff to properly clean the rooms and help guests with their bags during peak periods. I'd stay there again, but not
unless the rooms were discounted.

On the upside, when we left Monday morning there were workmen in the hall and they appeared to be starting some remodeling of all the rooms the floor.

1 Thank CynthaDelTorro
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at our hotel as well as the honesty that you provided both on the positive aspects as well as the areas that you feel have room for improvement. Your words in regards to our location, signature white tea scent and signature Heavenly Beds are greatly appreciated. Please know that we have made note of all issues raised and will look into each one with great detail. It is the unbiased opinions of our valued guests that allow us to know what areas we can improve to enhance the overall guest experience, and I thank you for using your valuable time to provide us with those details. We look forward to any future opportunities that we may have to host you in the future.