“Close to all Indy attractions”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #23 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We stay at the Westin when we make a trip to downtown Indy for a game or a quick weekend get away. Close to the stadium and the mall. The hotel is always clean and the staff is top notch.
Its nice that you can leave your car with the valet on game day and they don't charge you extra.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Bill E
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your kind words in regards to our location and associates. I am very happy to hear that you found our hotel to be accommodating and convenient. The guest experience is of the most value to us and we are all very happy to hear that your experience was so positive. Please know that we sincerely look forward to the next opportunity that we may have to host you.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Indianapolis

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here back in 2004 and had a good experience so I was pleased when my $120/night "name your own price" bid for a 4 star hotel in downtown Indy on Priceline was accepted by the Westin Indianapolis. This hotel is ideally situated to Lucas Oil Stadium, the convention center and all things downtown.

Please note this review is of a "traditional room" which is the Westin's lowest room class. There are also deluxe, executive and luxury rooms and suites that probably have more amenities included in the price.

We drove to Indy for the Packer Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium. We arrived to check in about 4:30 on Saturday. The lobby smells great and I later learned it was a Westin signature scent called White Tea and Aloe and this was also the scent of the all the toiletries in the rooms. Check-in was quick and courteous and I was told we had been given a "nice room,
on a high floor with a good view". This turned out to be true. Awesome. Bellhops were scarce, even though the lobby did not seem busy. I was able to find one to help with luggage while my husband parked the car. Parking is $28.00/night in an undergroud self park lot directly in front of the hotel. If you will want to use the car during your stay you're better off paying the extra $6.00/night for valet service.

The room was on the small side, but very clean with all the basics. The beds are "heavenly". However, there were many little things that kept our stay from being an "Excellent" experience. First of all the widow was really really dirty. I normally don't notice that kind of thing, but this window was bad. The rooms should have mini-fridges in addition to or instead
of the mini-bar fridges. We travel a lot and mini-fridges are a pretty standard amenity. You don't want to put anything in the mini-bar fridge because if items in there are jostled you will probably be charged for them. There was a $4 bottle of water outside of the fridge on a sensor pad, so that if you picked it up for any reason you were charged for it. I'll bet that ends up on a lot of guest's bills and makes them mad. The cable reception was very very poor with bad picture and sound quality on the most channels most of the time. WiFi is $9.95/day. I really don't understand why some hotels still insist on charging for it. Outside of that, however,
I was willing to pay and couldn't connect to it. No instructions in the room, so we just used our smart phones to check email, get directions etc. Also, the room service rates were outrageous. I'm a huge fan of room service and I will almost always order breakfast
if it is available. Room service is never cheap. However when a continental breakfast (muffin, juice and coffee) costs $17.50 and 2 eggs with toast is $25.00 - I'm out. I didn't see eggs benedict (my usual order) on the menu, but if it were available it probably would have had to pay at least $40.00 for it.

The coffee maker didn't work well at all. If you poured in 1 cup of water, it brewed a 1/4 cup of coffee (and no it was not an espresso machine :) We left a note on it for housekeeping but it was not replaced during our stay. Our bed was made and garbage and dirty glasses were removed by housekeeping while we were out, but nothing was replenished (towels,coffee).
The hotel was probably close to full and I saw only one man cleaning rooms on our floor from morning until evening so I asked him for coffee and left it at that. He looked so tired. I was glad I had tipped well.

In summary, the location is great and at the reduced rate we got we really didn't have to much to complain about. However, for property that bills itself as a luxury hotel there is a lot of nickel and diming with amenities and what appeared to be a shortage of staff to properly clean the rooms and help guests with their bags during peak periods. I'd stay there again, but not
unless the rooms were discounted.

On the upside, when we left Monday morning there were workmen in the hall and they appeared to be starting some remodeling of all the rooms the floor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CynthaDelTorro

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience at our hotel as well as the honesty that you provided both on the positive aspects as well as the areas that you feel have room for improvement. Your words in regards to our location, signature white tea scent and signature Heavenly Beds are greatly appreciated. Please know that we have made note of all issues raised and will look into each one with great detail. It is the unbiased opinions of our valued guests that allow us to know what areas we can improve to enhance the overall guest experience, and I thank you for using your valuable time to provide us with those details. We look forward to any future opportunities that we may have to host you in the future.

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I have nothing but good things to say about this business, yes business as it is more than just a hotel. Accommodations were excellent, service superb and location second to none. Very nice having a top of the line restaurant inside the hotel, Shula's. The staff was extremely courteous and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone and ill be back again soon!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I greatly appreciate your kind words in regards to our location, staff, and accommodations. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let us know what aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and I greatly look forward to the next opportunity that we have to host you. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We picked this hotel because of its proximity to Lucas Oil Stadium. It also ended up being within walking distance and a short driving distance of many other points of interest in Indianspolis. My boyfriend and I found the staff friendly, the hotel clean and the beds unbelievably comfortable. It was also very quiet, we couldn't hear a sound from outside the hotel or in the halls; there was barely sound carrying from our bathroom to the rest of our hotel room. There were a lot of hotel amenities we didn't take advantage of but that we would have enjoyed if we stayed longer, like the pool, gym, room service (which did seem a little pricey), and valet service. The list goes on. We also liked that you needed a room key to go up to guest rooms in the elevator. The hotel has the option to self park, while I'd rather have the option to park for free, at 28$ for 24hrs, the price seemed comparable to the other hotels we had looked in to booking. We did have a little trouble finding the place initially but I attribute that to our GPS. The address is S. Capitol street, but you'll want to look for Washington Street to pull into the parking garage. From the garage you can go directly to the lobby. When I realized I had forgot the tickets to the football game, the staff was nice enough to let us use the computer room (for the Southwest airlines crew) to print new ones. My boyfriend and I will definitely stay here again, we were impressed.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am elated to hear that you and your boyfriend had such a positive experience and I am very thankful for your encouraging words concerning our location, staff, and signature Westin Heavenly Bed. I am also very pleased to hear that you found your stay to be quiet, relaxing and rejuvenating and also appreciate you telling us what areas that you think that we have room for improvement. It is the feedback from our honest guests like yourself that allows us to continually enhance the guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We look forward to the next opportunity that we have to host you.

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Nice bedding but I have slept on the heavenly beds at other Westin hotel properties that were heavenly. This was a regular matress in my particular room. The decor is modern with mini bar and refridgerator. Room service for breakfast was very nice. The hotel is in a great location downtown. I was most impressed with the hotel staff. Each one I interacted with was so polite and professional. They seemed to take such pride in their representation of their company.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank butterscotch5

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to relay your observations to us. I also appreciate your positive comments in regards to our staff and I am happy to hear that you were made to feel welcomed and at home during your stay with us. The comfort of our valued guests is of great importance to us and we are genuinely looking forward to the next opportunity that we may have to host you.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is perfect for a weekend visit for a Colts game. Conveniently located to Lucas Oil Stadium and all the malls, restaurants and coffee shops a busy downtown area can offer. I had never been to Indy before, so I had no frame of reference. This hotel is not so ostentatious that you feel uncomfortable wearing jeans in the lobby, but it's very nice. The bellmen/women were extremely accomodating, the doormen were helpful and on-the-spot. I used the valet parking. I would call from my roon to have my car brought up and when I got downstairs my car was waiting for me. I think the $30+ charge for parking is awfully high, but you ARE downtown where parking is a premium ... PLUS I don't mind paying it so much when the delivery and service is so good.

The room was squeaky clean... no complaints there. Housekeeping brought feather pillows when requested. The bed was aptly named... it was heavenly. The room was quiet, well appointed and spacious. I had a beautiful view of the fountains out front. I was on the 14th floor, so I left my curtains open (closed the shears) and fell aslep each eveing to the beautiful lights of the city skyline. Lovely. The bathroom WAS small ... had to step outside to change your mind. I hate having to battle the bathroom door when I sit down to pee...it always wins.

My one lone gripe was that there were no vending machines ANYWHERE. I don't drink coffee in the morning. I drink Diet Coke ... and the Diet Cokes in the mini fridge were $4.00 each. I'm not cheap, but I refuse to be robbed in my room. They had them in the gift shop but everytime I went to the gift shop, it was closed or they were in the midst of moving it to a new location. Luckily I found a lovely banquest waitress who's shall remain nameless that smuggled me into the employee lunchroom and let me get a couple out of their vending machine for $.50 a piece. (she was very nice).

I was in Indy for business & pleasure and fell in love with this lovely hotel, charming city and the people that live there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the fountains and get to a higher floor. Very, very quiet. I never knew I had...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are so appreciative that you gave us the opportunity to be a part of your first experience in Indianapolis. I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience in the city and within our hotel. I do apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during the renovation of our gift shop. However, our gift shop renovation is now complete and will be accessible during future stays. Thank you for your kind comments in regards to our location, bell staff, cleanliness, and signature Westin Heavenly Beds. We look forward to the next opportunity that we have to host you.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here on an overnight trip to Indy for some sightseeing and shopping. We got the hotel from price line for a very reasonable $70 with all fees plus $28 for parking.

Pros
- conveniently located in downtown. We walked everywhere.
- comfortable beds and clean room
- great view of city and square

Cons
- tiny bathroom. Hard for one person to get ready, two was not possible.
- air conditioner was loud when turning on
- walls were a little thin. Could hear neighbors talking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to point out the positives of your stay as well as the areas that you feel could be improved upon. Thank you for your kind words about our location, cleanliness and signature Westin Heavenly Bed. Your comments are appreciated and we look forward to any future opportunities that we may have to host you.