“Don't Bring Your Car”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #23 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This property doesn't have a garage. You park for $27 per night in the municipal lot next door. It takes two elevators to get anywhere. After 90 minutes your parking charge will be $15. Hotel guests do not have in and out capability so your parking can easily amount to $50 per day if you go in and out a lot. If you want to valet park for $32 per night they will let you come and go but the guys will always have to go get your car each time. I could see this in maybe NYC or Boston but people, this is Indianapolis. It is big city inconvenience in a minor league town. PS. if you look for the property on Capitol Street you won't find it. The entrance is on Washington Street.

After putting up with all of this you will find yourself in a highly ordinary property that is due for an update.

Room Tip: The West side rooms overlook the Marriott where you'll wish you had stayed.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ThePrince49
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectation and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your thoughts. I know that an initial inconveniences can often times set the tone of a trip and I am sincerely sorry that your experience was a negative one. I hope that you found the rest of your stay to be rejuvenating and that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Thank you for your feedback!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at the westin in Indianapolis for the general convention of the Episcopal Church which happens every three years and is a massive undertaking, thousands of people decended on the downtown of Indianapolis. The first night was a record breaking heat day 107 degrees. My room was warm, the air conidition simply was not keeping up. I called the desk at midnight and right away a repair person was there to fix it, it worked again until 3 am. The next day I was out on business all day and told the front desk in the morning when i left to fix it before I returned to rest. It was not working to they very willingly changed my room, the rest of my stay was cool and great. I just want to add that the overwhleming welcome that the people of Indianapolis extended to us was evident, I would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so delighted to hear that your overall experience in Indianapolis was a positive one. As always we were extremely excited to have the opportunity to welcome our friends from the general convention of the Episcopal Church into our city and are very pleased to hear that our excitement about your arrival was translated to our guests during their stay. I do apologize that you experienced initial issues with your room temperature, but I thank you for your understanding about the intense weather conditions and for your willingness to be moved to another room. I sincerely appreciate you giving us the opportunity to host you and look forward to any future stays when we may have the privilege again.

Thank You!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed here the night before a Colts game. Instead of paying the cost to park in the parking lot overnight we found on-street parking. The room was nice but a little on the small side. I would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brit1810
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This past month, I came to Indianapolis for my annual "Day at the Races' gathering (horses; not Speedway) with long standing friends from the area. This year, we gathered for the Belmont Stakes.

The Suite I booked was found to be immaculate in every respect; the Bedroom had a panoramic view of the Indiana Capitol. Even though we were "catering' the gathering ourselves (and having Dinner afterwards at a restaurant "off property'), Room Service was happy to oblige with wine, flat, and ceramic ware needed.

My overnight stay was "AOK".

I note that reviewer Loomis33 commented that on site parking, whether self or valet, appeared pricey. The lodging industry appears to be taking a page from the airlines' playbook of "hold the line' with the basics, then "recouping' with the extras. Al though I did not have Breakfast during this stay, that seems to be another area at properties of any brand that does not offer it complimentary, are also using as a "recoupment center'.

About the only negative that bears mention, if you are driving to the property and are using any kind of Sat/Nav (GPS) system, the address of 50 S Capitol will "blow' your "Hal's" mind. It blew mine, and the Doorman noted to me that it blows most any other. The hotel is actually accessed from Washington Street, which is about a half block North of 50 S Capitol. How that was ever designated as the hotel's street address I know not, but it is confusing. If using a commercial transportation such as a taxicab or airport limo, that's their problem, but if using a private auto, it's yours.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I spent a week for a business-related function (conference), and was very pleased with the property. The room (including bathroom) was modern and well-appointed, and all staff did a first-class job in all aspects. The parking was a bit pricey, although the difference between self parking ($27/day) and valet ($32/ day with unlimited in-and-out) made the valet the better option. The exercise facilities were excellent, and I would recommend the property without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Enjoyed our three night stay in a one-bedroom suite. This Westin has all that one expects from a fine hotel (quiet, very clean, attractively furnished, ample size exercise room and pool). Ryan, one of the door-men on the morning shift, always gave a nice greeting and was very helpful with directions and suggestions. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to White River Park, with its attractively designed canal and the very interesting Etiljorg Museum. The cost of underground parking for the hotel is comparable to most other cities @ $27.00 per day (non-valet).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neil R
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Very friendly staff. Great location. Rooms were clean and comfortable, but the bathrooms were very small and not updated to Westin standard. Expensive parking. Great fitness center.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you so much for feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what areas you felt could be improved upon, as well as to compliment our staff, location, cleanliness and fitness center. I appreciate your decision to stay with us and for taking the time to follow up after. Please know that we consider it a privilege to host you and hope to have the opportunity again in the future.

Thank You!