“Good location, Poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Indianapolis

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #24 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good location, Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

Good points first: great downtown location, next to the convention center, close to downtown restaurants. Valet guys are polite.

Now to the bad points:
Checked into Westin Indianapolis last night. No upgrade as a Platinum, fair enough, they are overbooked. This Platinum couldn't even get a club floor, nothing.

Asked about 4 pm checkout, was told no way in a rude manner by the front desk gentleman. Informed him it's a Platinum benefit, he wouldn't budge. Called Platinum concierge, they called the hotel about the late checkout. Hotel still won't give it. Not 4pm, not 3pm, not 2pm, nothing.

Late check out is the only benefit of Platinum I was hoping to get, this hotel is not a resort or convention hotel designated (albeit next to the convention center), as confirmed by the supervisor at SPG customer support, therefore they should extend this benefit, but they would not.

Noone asked about what I want for my platinum amenity at checkin either, at this point it's irrelevant I suppose.

Parking is $32 a day for valet and $28 a day for self park.

Shulas is the restaurant on property, if you are into that.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know what aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and what you felt could be improved upon. I am so sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate your need for a late checkout due to our lack of availability and I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced. Please know that we do greatly value our guests and I am very sorry that your stay did not accurately reflect the appreciation that we have for your decision to stay with us. I thank you for your kind words regarding our location and I hope that we will have the privilege of hosting you again in the future.

Thank You!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Geneva, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

I got lost in downtown Indianapolis finding the Westin Hotel; when I called the hotel, I was fortunately transfered to Ms. Terri Coleman; she stayed on the phone until I was in the driveway of the Westin. What a help./ Then when I checked in . they went overboard anbd let me have access tro the Priorty Room where Mohamad was so accomadating. I felt very cared for and appreciate the extra service they boyth provided.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am excited to hear that you had such a pleasant experience with our staff, and I greatly appreciate you letting us know which associates went out of their way to enhance your experience during your stay. I’m very thankful that we were given the opportunity to host you and hope that we will have the opportunity again during any future trips that you make to Indianapolis. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

I was very pleased with a stay at the Westin Indianapolis in late Oct. 2011. The price was very reasonable (even with the added Internet access fee) and I was pleased about the $5 off food coupon in return for not having the room made up after the first night's stay.

The Westin Indianapolis provides very clean, pleasant, and comfortable accomodations and very helpful and friendly staff. I would definitely stay there again on any subsequent business trip to Indianapolis.

1 Thank ando19446
Centerville, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at the Westin for a weekend get away. The hotel was under some construction at the time (lobby). Be careful with the in room drinks, if you just lift the beverage up they will charge you, even if you don't drink the beverage. The people at the front desk were ok, but I expect more of friendly smile than what I received. Rooms were average at best. Clean for sure. Overall it was ok.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed in a room on the 9th floor at The Westin, Indianapolis over a weekend in late October, 2011. The Westin is a higher-end hotel, conveniently located (joined) next to the Indianapolis Convention Center but some parts of the hotel are beginning to show their age. Check-in was relatively fast at the counter. concierge and counter staff were knowledgeable and efficient. The room was clean and well-kept, although it was evidently more than a few years old. The beds came with 5 pillows each and were very soft and comfortable (probably the most comfortable hotel beds) I've slept in), tiny fridge (no room for my stuff other than the snacks or drinks you get charged for using), desk and chairs and flatscreen TV. Bathroom was well-annoited (with the expected shampoo, conditioner, soap, and hairdryer) but was on the small side. The rooms were fairly well soundproofed, which is important as I'm a light sleeper.
The gym (with 10 treadmills) was open 24 hrs a day and the heated indoor pool and jacuzzi were open till 10pm. The pool was showing its age - one of the support beams of the ladder was broken. Checkout was a breeze, with a receipt slipped under my door on the day of checkout.
There were 2 restaurants on site (plus a Starbucks which closes by 3pm everyday) - Shulla serves expensive steaks. Stay away from their salmon - my colleague and I both came down with diarrhea the next morning after having grilled and blackened salmon.
Two issues I had with Westin were: the tag on the bottled water said something like the drink is on us (complimentary) but I was charged $5.32 for it at checkout. And there was a card that said if you don't want your room cleaned (to be green), you can leave a card on your door and receive a $5 voucher at Starbucks, but the next day I received a note that this offer was not available that day.
It was OK for a short business stay in Indianapolis and very convenient for meetings at the Convention center.

Room Tip: They tend to upgrade you if you do't like your room and if their suites are available.
1 Thank EvanL
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

The front desk and housekeeping staff were as helpful and friendly as possible. The Westin charges for internet use, and our bill showed a mistaken double charge for this. It was corrected and a new receipt printed out instantly and cheerfully. I don't mind paying for the internet when it is fast and reliable, which this was. The rooms were a bit small, and the bathroom very small. The hallway desperately needed to be deep-cleaned, and the very muted decor of the halls and rooms made it seem a bit institutional; the lighting was also a bit dim. Parking was quite expensive at $26/day.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide comments about your stay. I greatly appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and though I do apologize for the issue that you experienced with your bill, I am happy to hear that it was quickly corrected. Thank you for letting us know the areas of the hotel that you feel could be improved upon as well. I hope that we are given the opportunity to host you again during any future travels that you make to Indianapolis.

maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed there an annual conference October 30-November 1, 2011. Have always enjoyed my experiences in the past but this time, not so much. Although a good size, my room was dark, dingy and in need of repair. The light at the door, that was supposed to light the closet as well, did not work. I went to the front desk three times to report this and they were so busy, I didn't stay. The carpet was frayed and pulling up and the crown molding was incomplete... a really odd sight.
The bathroom light was so dim I wasn't even sure what my makeup looked like. the magnifying mirror was a nice touch, but again... not effective in the dim light. .

The fitness center was nice...equipment was nice and it was clean and well lit.

Room Service was adequate but really overpriced.

Having to pay for internet is another offense.

Hopefully the conference will be moved to another hotel... I don't want to have to stay at this westin again. It gives the Westin brand a very bad name.

Room Tip: Stay at the Conrad, instead.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were displeased with your experience while staying with us and I apologize that your room did not meet the standards that you have come to expect from a Westin property. Thank you for your kind words regarding our fitness center and thank you for providing us with information that will allow us to make improvements that I sincerely hope you will be able to enjoy during any future stays that you have with us.