“Fair price, friendly staff”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #24 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I was very pleased with a stay at the Westin Indianapolis in late Oct. 2011. The price was very reasonable (even with the added Internet access fee) and I was pleased about the $5 off food coupon in return for not having the room made up after the first night's stay.

The Westin Indianapolis provides very clean, pleasant, and comfortable accomodations and very helpful and friendly staff. I would definitely stay there again on any subsequent business trip to Indianapolis.

1  Thank ando19446

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at the Westin for a weekend get away. The hotel was under some construction at the time (lobby). Be careful with the in room drinks, if you just lift the beverage up they will charge you, even if you don't drink the beverage. The people at the front desk were ok, but I expect more of friendly smile than what I received. Rooms were average at best. Clean for sure. Overall it was ok.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed in a room on the 9th floor at The Westin, Indianapolis over a weekend in late October, 2011. The Westin is a higher-end hotel, conveniently located (joined) next to the Indianapolis Convention Center but some parts of the hotel are beginning to show their age. Check-in was relatively fast at the counter. concierge and counter staff were knowledgeable and efficient. The room was clean and well-kept, although it was evidently more than a few years old. The beds came with 5 pillows each and were very soft and comfortable (probably the most comfortable hotel beds) I've slept in), tiny fridge (no room for my stuff other than the snacks or drinks you get charged for using), desk and chairs and flatscreen TV. Bathroom was well-annoited (with the expected shampoo, conditioner, soap, and hairdryer) but was on the small side. The rooms were fairly well soundproofed, which is important as I'm a light sleeper.
The gym (with 10 treadmills) was open 24 hrs a day and the heated indoor pool and jacuzzi were open till 10pm. The pool was showing its age - one of the support beams of the ladder was broken. Checkout was a breeze, with a receipt slipped under my door on the day of checkout.
There were 2 restaurants on site (plus a Starbucks which closes by 3pm everyday) - Shulla serves expensive steaks. Stay away from their salmon - my colleague and I both came down with diarrhea the next morning after having grilled and blackened salmon.
Two issues I had with Westin were: the tag on the bottled water said something like the drink is on us (complimentary) but I was charged $5.32 for it at checkout. And there was a card that said if you don't want your room cleaned (to be green), you can leave a card on your door and receive a $5 voucher at Starbucks, but the next day I received a note that this offer was not available that day.
It was OK for a short business stay in Indianapolis and very convenient for meetings at the Convention center.

Room Tip: They tend to upgrade you if you do't like your room and if their suites are available.
1  Thank EvanL
Reviewed November 3, 2011

The front desk and housekeeping staff were as helpful and friendly as possible. The Westin charges for internet use, and our bill showed a mistaken double charge for this. It was corrected and a new receipt printed out instantly and cheerfully. I don't mind paying for the internet when it is fast and reliable, which this was. The rooms were a bit small, and the bathroom very small. The hallway desperately needed to be deep-cleaned, and the very muted decor of the halls and rooms made it seem a bit institutional; the lighting was also a bit dim. Parking was quite expensive at $26/day.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide comments about your stay. I greatly appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and though I do apologize for the issue that you experienced with your bill, I am happy to hear that it was quickly corrected. Thank you for letting us know the areas of the hotel that you feel could be improved upon as well. I hope that we are given the opportunity to host you again during any future travels that you make to Indianapolis.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stayed there an annual conference October 30-November 1, 2011. Have always enjoyed my experiences in the past but this time, not so much. Although a good size, my room was dark, dingy and in need of repair. The light at the door, that was supposed to light the closet as well, did not work. I went to the front desk three times to report this and they were so busy, I didn't stay. The carpet was frayed and pulling up and the crown molding was incomplete... a really odd sight.
The bathroom light was so dim I wasn't even sure what my makeup looked like. the magnifying mirror was a nice touch, but again... not effective in the dim light. .

The fitness center was nice...equipment was nice and it was clean and well lit.

Room Service was adequate but really overpriced.

Having to pay for internet is another offense.

Hopefully the conference will be moved to another hotel... I don't want to have to stay at this westin again. It gives the Westin brand a very bad name.

Room Tip: Stay at the Conrad, instead.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were displeased with your experience while staying with us and I apologize that your room did not meet the standards that you have come to expect from a Westin property. Thank you for your kind words regarding our fitness center and thank you for providing us with information that will allow us to make improvements that I sincerely hope you will be able to enjoy during any future stays that you have with us.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

The hotel's location downtown was perfect and the room was clean, quiet and very comfortable. Nice decor and helpful staff. It was definitely what I was looking for.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind words! I am elated to hear that you were pleased with all of the aspects of your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to host you when your travels brought you to Indianapolis. We greatly hope to have the opportunity again during any future trips you may make to Indianapolis.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at this Westin from 10/28 - 11/1 after having a horrible and God-awful experience at the Hyatt across the street (see related post). I showed up at the Westin's front desk with no reservations, seeking a three nights' stay. John, a front desk manager in the evenings, was most helpful. He was able to provide accommodations for two nights but told me that he could not promise anything beyond that. He asked me to keep checking back. I did, and he was able to accommodate me for a third night. Thank you, John.

The hotel has a spacious lobby. There are six elevators, so there is not usually a long wait for one. My room (1337) was clean, and the bed was very comfortable. There were plenty of clean towels. Many reviewers have noted the small bathrooms. This is true. They are small, but I managed. It was not a problem for me. The tub drained a bit slow, so as you shower, you might be standing in a few inches of water. Internet service is reliable but not free (10.00 a day). There are snacks and bottled water provided on those motion sensitive machines, so if you touch the snacks or the water, even if you don't eat or drink, you will probably be charged for it.

It is better to take the Indy Go Green Line Shuttle from the airport for $7.00 one way as opposed to a $20.00 or more cab ride. The shuttle boards at the Zone 6 ground transportation area and stops near most major hotels in the downtown area. The Westin is centrally located. Lucas Oil Stadium, the Indiana Convention Center, and the Circle Centre Mall are all accessible by the sky bridge from the hotel, so you do not have to walk on the city streets if you don't want to. Walking the streets is not bad, however. I never felt unsafe, but it is still good to use common sense to avoid poorly lighted areas, and do not jaywalk. There seems to be a beggar/panhandler on almost every corner, but none seemed aggressive in any way. If you do not wish to be bothered, simply ignore them, and keep walking.

My stay was a nice one. Either I am too easy to please, or some travelers are very critical. Probably the slow tub drain and the $10.00 a day Internet charges caused the most concern for me, but I do not think that it would stop me from staying at this Westin again. One final note of caution: Stay away from the Hyatt Regency next door!!

1  Thank produce592

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know what aspects of your stay with us that you were pleased with and what you felt could be improved upon. I also thank you for providing us with the detail of your room number, as that will allow us to investigate and repair the drain issue that you mentioned. It is the honest feedback of our guests, such as yourself, that makes it possible for us to make improvements that will benefit all of our guests. Thank you for the specifics you provided and for using some of your valuable time to do so. We greatly appreciate all of the kind things you had to say about our hotel, location, service and associates. It is our sincere hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the future.