“Very Disappointing”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #23 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The room was nothing special, not bad, but not good. The bathroom was tiny and had water damage. The amenities were terrible.
The pool is noly 4ft deep, I had to call the desk 2 twice, and walk down once to get head phones for the fitness center, and they only brought them after over a 15 min wait.
For what we paid it was very disappointing. I've stayed in hotels for $50 a night that had better amenities, and rooms that were just as nice. I realize that you are paying extra for being down town, but for a few extra dollars you could stay in a much nicer place.

Room Tip: To get the best room in downtown Indy, go to a diffrent hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ben532
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience during your stay with us. I apologize that your bathroom had water damage and I assure you that this does not meet our standards and will be investigated and corrected. I also apologize for the wait that you experienced after you requested head phones for your workout. Please know that we take your comments very seriously and all issues raised will be explored. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback so that we know what areas can be improved upon. I greatly hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Thank You!

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Max. Very poor regard for reservations paid in advance if you arrive late for check-in. They will sell your room to someone else and tell you they are sold out due to overbooking and try to put you somewhere else. Like Sheraton North, 40 minutes north of downtown. The entire purpose of booking there is to be downtown. Several months ago I made a reservation for my son and his family to stay August 3, 4 and 5 for the annual GameCon event. Due to his wife's father have to have emergency surgery they could not leave until Late Thursday the 4th. Both Westin res line and the hotel direct told me since I had already paid for the room with my hotel points the room would be there for him regardless when he checked in. Notes were place on the reservation to make sure. About 9 PM Thursday I received a call to my cell from John at the hotel asking if someone would be checking in. I called back within an hour and said yes, my son, his wife and two small boys were on there way from Chicago. He said they were oversold and had no rooms. I said they had no right to sell our room. He said they did. I guess our attorney will find out. So much for customer loyalty. I understand another 20 people were having the same thing happen. I think Jerry Jones pulled the same thing for the Superbowl to fans that traveled from all over. Now my son will have to drive from Sheraton North to an early event he has scheduled and leave his family at Sheraton North. When they go it will have to be by cab or Sheraton van. This should be covered by the Westin since it is their fault. I actually thought Westin would be above this kind of thing but John says they overbook all the time. So make sure you always arrive early to avoid your room being sold as well. Anyone experiencing the same treatment at this hotel during this week please contact me for a group complaint to the owners of the hotel, Westin Corporate and maybe something else. mlb0803@aol.com

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MaxbMax
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you so much for your feedback. First of all, please let me apologize for the inconvenience that your family experienced during their trip to Indianapolis. I know that there can be a lot of stress involved in travel especially when the circumstances are as you described and I’m truly sorry for any extra discomfort that was experienced. Please know that when situations like you have described arise we do wish to take responsibility on our end and we cover the cost of both the hotel stay and the necessary transportation to the city that you mentioned. I sincerely hope that your son and his family had an otherwise pleasant experience during their visit for the Gen Con event, and that we will have an opportunity to host your family again in the future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to inform us of the issues that you experienced. We consider your feedback a gift and will assess the issues raised in order to provide all guests with an overall better experience for any future stays.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have stayed here many time before, but I was surprised to check in to find the property under construction. I am slightly annoyed that the lobby is a mess and the Starbucks has not been operational for the past 2 days. Conditionally recommended - this place should be better post renovation. Until then, there are many other options

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Spunkykiki
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Stayed here on my way home from a family trip, time away for my wife and I. It had a wonderful location in downtown Indy. The hotel itself was quite old, undergoing refurbishing, probably why we got the nice deal that we did, including valet parking. Everyone was pleasant, had a club level room and access to the club w/ the rate. Was surprised at how little was offered in the club in the evenings . . . diet coke, coke, sprite and coffee/tea and some fruit. It was quite sparse compared to other clubs that I have been in. I was surprised, but another review had mentioned it, so I was not completely shocked. However considering that this was a Westin, I was still surprised. If I had paid a premium rate for the club access, I would have been extremely disappointed. Breakfast was nice, I was late getting there (after posted hours), but they still had enough that I was satisfied and it was well prepared. The gentleman that staffed the breakfast was very helpful.

The room was nice, plenty of room for two and the bed was comfortable, but the refrigerator situation was weird, never used it but never really figured out what it was all about. The bathroom was very small, adequate for the two of us, but smaller than in any of the last 20 hotels that I have stayed at, again I was warned in a prior review, so not surprised. Finally, another funny point, there was only one bathrobe available (even though the reservation was for two adults), luckily my wife desired one and I did not, could have been problematic if we both wanted it.

Overall, nice, clean and we had a good deal, would stay there again under the same circumstances, but would not want to pay more than we did.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

It is easier to not be critical when you aren't the one footing the bill (the company did) but I would be upset if I had paid high prices for this one. They advertise a spa-like shower experience, but we just had a regular shower and it leaked too. Beds are comfortable. Room is just like a standard hotel room. They did do a good job of feeding and entertaining our large group--just wasn't impressed w/ the room. Also, no free internet either, but that seems to be the norm in the room.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Used to be the only decent option in town for a while until the JW Marriott came up. That just exaggerates all the shortcomings of the Westin.
The Westin is still reasonable with comfortable beds. But the internet speeds and connectivity is appalling (and this is after their "upgrade" in 2011). The food selection leaves a lot to be desired with just one restaurant - Shulas. And, it's about time they replaced / renovated their bathrooms. In many of the rooms I've stayed in, the showers don't always work, they look like they've been there for 20 years. And the gym has very few treadmills and machines ... on an average day, one may have to wait for a treadmill.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I was here for the Kappa event and just wanted to voice an opinion. We stayed at this hotel and it started off really nice the hotel accomidations were ok.
We had an issue one day with the room and went down to talk to someone about it at the front desk I believe the guys name was Ed, i think he said he was the manager. He was not very nice in fact he was a bit rude to myself and others in my party when we were trying to get everything situated. He didnt want to hear anything we wanted to say and just kinda shooed us away. I was a bit heated so went back to the room and called down, in hopes of getting someone who would be a bit more helpful. I spoke to a girl I think her name was Jess or Jessica. Anyway, she was GREAT, complete opposite of the other guy. I explained the situation to her, and not only did she remedy it but she even gave a follow up phone call to make sure we were all taken care of. Kuddos to her.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business