“not so great for cost”

Ranked #24 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
St. Louis, Missouri
“not so great for cost”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Very expensive...costly, so-so front desk, so-so breakfast, costly parking

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear Valued Customer,

I am very sorry to hear that you were less than impressed during your stay with us. Please know that customer satisfaction is of the upmost importance to us and I thank you for your honest feedback. I have made note of the front desk and breakfast issues that you raise and assure you that I will look into them in more detail. I greatly hope that we will have another chance to host you and your family during any future trips that you make to Indianapolis.

Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Got this hotel at a discount. The room was clean, the view overlooking downtown Indianapolis was beautiful. Just beware the internet is extra ($10/day), as is parking (about $25 for 24 hours), but paid parking is common in the middle of a big city. Also, DON'T TOUCH the snack/mini bar items, they are weight sensitive! Seems to be a common issue though since they came to check and saw we hadn't eaten ours so we weren't charged. The bar downstairs was about what you would expect (~$10 cocktails) but service was a bit understaffed. Fitness center had plenty of cardio machines, all were very nice with towels and headphones with individual tvs on the screen. Didn't use the pool or hottub but they seemed clean. Very centrally located hotel, riverfront only about 3 blocks away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spaceheartl4
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your comments. I am very happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with us and I thank you for your positive comments concerning our location, cleanliness and our fitness center. I am sorry that the service that you experienced in the bar was less than adequate but I thank you for providing feedback allowing us to know what areas can be improved upon. I greatly hope that we will get another opportunity to host you in the future.

Thank you again!
Oceanside, California
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My entire family was booked here for a family wedding. While the central location was great, the rooms ... not so much. This was absolutely the SMALLEST bathroom I have ever seen in an "upscale" hotel. Barely room for one person to stand; inadequate counter space; plugs that wouldn't stay plugged in, mold in the shower, etc. They did provide a bathrobe - ONE bathrobe for two people. I asked them if we were supposed to flip a coin over who got to wear it ... they finally said they could send another up to the room. The only restaurant onsite is Shula's Steakhouse (super expensive) and a Starbucks. The onsite parking is ridiculously expensive!!! On the plus side, the exercise room is phenomenal and the lobby is very nice. However, I was there for three nights ... after the first I should have checked out and gone to the Holiday Inn Express across the street; I'm betting the bathrooms there were more spacious and they throw in breakfast as well!

Room Tip: Voice your displeasure at the time!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BadDiver
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Please know that your feedback is very much appreciated and that we consider it to be a gift because it is the honesty of our valued visitors that allows us to know what areas need improvement. I regret that your experience was less than adequate during such an important event as a wedding and apologize that the rooms did not meet your standards. However, I am very thankful for the tip that you have provided, our guests are always encouraged to let us know when they are displeased during their stay so that we can work to make any corrections possible or to make any adjustments that will make their stay more comfortable. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with our lobby and work out facility and I truly and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Thank you for your honest feedback!
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is my second time staying at this hotel - both times for business. It is close to everything. The staff is always professional and easy to work with and the rooms are clean and well appointed. I would highly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay in Indianapolis.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy to hear that you have selected to stay at our property on more than one occasion and I am very pleased to know that our staff, location and cleanliness met your standards. It is our goal to create a pleasant and consistent environment for our valued guests, such as yourself. Again, I thank you for your feedback and I very much look forward to the next time that we are privileged with the opportunity to host you in our city and in our hotel.

Thank you!
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Like the Westin Crown Center in KC, this one needs a serious job on exterior windows. That said, this property is nice and in reasonably good condition. I was upgraded to an SPG corner suite which is impressive and has a wonderful view of the capitol. So here it is straightforward:

THE GOOD:
- central location with good access to downtown area
- sharp lobby, great SPG lounge
- easy access in and out, valet is fast
- nice corner suite with great views for upgraded SPG
- room appeared and felt quite clean

THE BAD:
- the bathroom is very tight, and the toilet bowl is small to sit on
- pool had a mysterious odor and was very basic
- hot tub in pool area needs a scrub down
- no free booze in the SPG lounge
- no plastic laundry bags
- dirty panoramic windows
- bathroom was a little dingy and smelled musty (lack of consistent vigorous cleaning of commode)

All in all I would stay again as I did not hear great things about the JW and it is inconveniently located to the center of action, however the Conrad would still be my first choice, rate permitting.

Room Tip: Be an SPG Platinum
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Dear Valued SPG Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay at the Westin Indianapolis. I greatly appreciate your kind words as well as the list of areas that can be improved upon. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and that you had a pleasant experience with our valet staff. Please know that your comments about the bathrooms, pool area and SPG Lounge will not go unnoticed. We greatly appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we can evaluate the issues and make every stay at the Westin Indianapolis even more enjoyable than the last. Being an SPG member I am sure that you already know that the feedback from our valued guests is of the upmost important to all Starwood Properties across the board, and the Westin Indianapolis is no exception. I appreciate the time you took to provide such detail in your review and please know that your time is of great value to us. I hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again during your next visit to the city of Indianapolis.

Thank you!
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at the Westin Indianapolis hotel on Memorial Day weekend. We were in town to attend the Indy 500 race and this is where the hosting company booked us to stay.

The hotel has a business like feel to it, typical for hotels in downtown districts. The lobby is nice but not overly plush. There is a gift shop on the main level (ridiculous prices as you would expect) and many different conference rooms.

Our room was a standard king bed type room, we had a view of the Marriot next door and some rooftops (we were on the 9th floor). The room had a nice flat screen HD tv, looked like a 32 inch. There was a good selection of channels and the picture quality was good as well.

The bed was comfortable, the bedding is very heavy however so if you get warm while you sleep this will be noticeable. We had the thermostat set to 67 and we were still too warm with all the bedding.

There is a stocked snack bar/fridge in the room, don't touch it unless you like paying $5 for a bottle of water. We requested a fridge be brought to the room and it worked fine for drinks. There is a CVS drug store around the corner from the hotel, easy walking distance, where you can stock up on water, snacks, whatever.

The drapes did a good job of keeping the room dark while we slept. There is a desk area and also a small reading chair with ottoman. We didn't try the in room wifi because they wanted $10 a day for it, but the signal showed to be strong. I used my AT&T iPhone to get wifi to my iPad, got a good strong signal from our room for that.

Some gripes:

Very small bathroom, can hardly open the door without hitting the toilet.
No exhaust fan in the bathroom either, will get foggy immediately when taking a shower.
The valve to move water to the shower heads from the bath tub faucet was faulty and did not close completely, it was also very noisy.
There were no outlets by the bedside. There was a clock, lamp, and cordless phone but they all had cords that ran behind the bed. I like to plug in my phone by my nightstand and use it as an alarm clock and I couldn't do this. Minor but it was a pain.
I also couldn't get the fan to stay on, even when I turned off Auto and set it to high. It would stay on for a few minutes then cycle back to Auto and shut off. With no ceiling fan and the heavy bedding, you really need some airflow to be able to sleep comfortably and it was a challenge.

All in all it was a pretty good stay. The downtown area is nice and there are walkways to get you over to the mall area without having to go outside. There is an indoor pool that is decent and a small fitness area with treadmills and some weight machines. With a few tweaks this could have been even better but I would still recommend this in the right circumstances for people traveling to downtown Indianapolis.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for your comments. I am very happy to hear that your stay with us was an overall pleasant one and I appreciate your kind words as well as you letting us know what areas you felt could be improved. The opinions of our guests are of great value and you taking the time to share your thoughts in such great detail really allows us to know what areas we need to take a look at. I am sorry to hear that the temperature in your room was not ideal and that you had ongoing issues with the fan in your room/bathroom. Bringing our attention to issues is the only way that positive changes can be made and I assure you that we will look into the issues you have raised. Thank you for your valuable opinion and for staying with us to begin with. We hope to be able to host you again during any future trips you make to Indianapolis.

Thanks!
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Looks very nice from the outside, but rooms smell funny, mold in the shower. Internet expensive. Front desk staff did not seem knowledge and in a hurry to get rid of you. Someone standing in line with me was told he could not get a receipt for his stay. Would not recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2011
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience during your stay with us. I would like to assure you that your experience is not standard and we will work to correct the issues that you have brought to our attention. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it is the comments made by our guests that help us to know what areas can be improved on in order to ensure more accommodating future stays. Please know that the appropriate departments will be informed and investigate the unacceptable issues in an effort to correct them. We would love to hear from you directly about your experience at our hotel. If you would be willing to give us more detail about your experience please contact our Director of Rooms at doug.dietrich@westin.com or at 317.231.3950.

I greatly hope that we will get the opportunity to host you again in any future trips that you make to Indianapolis. Your decision to lodge at the Westin Indianapolis is appreciated as is your review.