“Great Stay in Downtown Indy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel
Ranked #52 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Greenwood, Indiana
“Great Stay in Downtown Indy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

We always stay at a nice hotel downtown Indy to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
Having read some of the previous reviews on this and other travel websites, we approached our stay with some apprehension.
We saw none of the problems described by other reviewers. We experienced a first class hotel with a great staff. The room was spacious and comfortable with a wonderful view of the Soldier's & Sailor's Monument. Check in was seamless and quick. King bed was very comfortable. Hallways and public areas very nicely appointed - no low ceilings noted by other reviewers (I'm 6' 6" tall).
Parking in attached garage was reasonable and felt secure.
The only negative: After a walkabout in downtown Indy (the Sheraton is just one block north of the center of the city - great location), we decided to go to the pool. Using the hotel provided robes, we went to the pool. The pool was clean and clear but there was no shade whatever from the very bright sun. A few tables with market umbrellas would be nice.
We would definitely return to the Sheraton!

• Liked — Location & Comfort
  • Disliked — Pool was stark with no shade
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BoilerMakerBob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Southern Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

I arrived at the Sheraton with an expectation of courteous service and a well-maintained property. What I received was an insulting attitude from an impertinent associate and an incompetent manager at a run-down, poorly managed property. I was told that since my name did not match the name on the credit card belonging to the government agency for which I work I could not use the card, even with my employer identification, tax exempt certificate, and the fact that my office had made reservations on that card. He delivered the news in a tone that suggested that I was a part of the city's criminal element and told me I could use my personal card to pay for the room. I was exhausted, so I gave him my card and resolved to return later and speak with a manager, since the associate was disinclined to find one to speak with me at that point.

I went to my room and found it stuffy, so I turned down the thermostat and the blower rattled into motion. I turned on the television to find that I could receive no channels. It turned out that the hotel was "upgrading" this particular amenity, and I was told that I would be able to use my television soon. I turned down the thermostat again, as my earlier efforts had produced no cooling effect. I went down to speak with the manager, who eventually let me write myself a permission slip (I am not kidding you) to use the credit card after I pointed out that if I couldn't give myself permission to use the card I had no idea who could, as the name on the card is of a governmental entity and so on. I brought up the issue of the television, and he insisted that I was now able to receive the signals (which, I replied was incorrect). I went to use the internet. Of course, that was not operational, either. I perused the vending machines, which were mostly empty and/or only took exact change, walked around the swimming pool (out of date and experiencing a bizzare influx of ants), then returned to my hot room where I called again about the television to try and make sure that the manager knew he was wrong. The response I got (that the channels would be working soon) was in the "don't be such a nuisance" tone. As of the next morning I still could not receive channels, but I did manage to listen to an episode of "Family Guy." Good thing I'd seen it before.

In conclusion, my complaint to Starwood earned me 4, 000 points. Does anyone out there know what they are good for or how to use them? It wasn't explained to me, but I'm guessing they're worthless.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the insutling attitude of the asociate who checked me in
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank TravelerKD

Travelers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

Spent two weeks in Indy, began with 2 nights at the Sheraton and ended with 1 night at Sheraton. Upon check in they could not find my booking made thru hotels.com, but no problem they had room. I found the room clean and comfy, the parking rate a little pricey ($22.00) per day, but loved the location. Walked to Colts game, downtown etc. For 2 days vehicle never left garage. Pool on the 9th floor with a view of Monument Circle well worth it.
Speaking of the pool found out they allow thong swimwear as some dude was unbashed and enjoying the sun. For my last night there my room overlooked Monument Circle and slept with curtains parted to see the sights and had best sleep in two weeks. All the staff was very helpful and easy to deal with. Loved my time there and would repeat.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Parking rates
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Malvern, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

We were very dissatisfied with the Sheraton City Centre in Indianapolis. While we appreciated being able to get a hotel room for the Gencon convention, if the next time we visit I have to choose between staying outside the city or this Sheraton, I will find a hotel that is distant.

We encountered a variety of problems at the hotel from the moment we checked in on Wednesday evening right until the last minute we checked out on Monday morning. I have stayed at Sheraton hotels in the past and had generally positive experiences, but this experience left my family and I less likely to choose Sheratons in the future.

Upon arrival, we were directed by hotel staff to the parking garage attached to the hotel. What we didn't realize was that the garage was $10 more per day than any garage in the area (including other nearby hotels and the garage 50 feet down the street) and that the hotel offered no discount for using it. We discovered that 'validation' was simply code for 'pay at the front desk', a nonsensical idea given that there was nowhere else to pay during most hours. It's unclear WHY the garage was so expensive, given how poorly lit it was or how the security doors to the hotel were broken and allowed anyone in, despite what the signs next to the door claimed.

Upon checking in to our room, we found our Internet service was non-functioning. After repeated calls to the front desk, I contacted Z-net technical support. We quickly determined the nature of the problem...the DSL modem in the room was broken. However, when I contacted Guest Services, they were unsure what to do. After having their staff check, they discovered they had no spare modems. But instead of simply getting a modem from a customer who wasn't using the internet service (since the hotel was fully booked), they asked me to check with them the next day, after 12PM. While an inconvenience, I did so. They had forgotten about me, however, and we repeated the same process. Wireless Internet service was available in the lobby, but this was inconvenient for more than quick uses in the limited seating and in a public space. Thursday evening, after several visits, the manager on duty and support staff managed to locate a unit and provided it to us, after I showed them where to install it. The manager then offered us the service for free, due to the inconvenience, which we appreciated. We would later have to argue to have this charge removed from the bill, however, as the promise of the manager didn't translate into informing the staff or making proper notation on our hotel information.

When I did get access to the Internet, I went to my bank's website to perform some bill-paying. It was then that I noticed that the hotel had put a $1000 hold on my account for our stay, something that I am unclear on why it was done or why we weren't notified of the same. It had no effect on our stay, but seemed to indicate that this Sheraton, unlike others I've stayed with in the past, considered us to be risky customers. More onerous was the fact that $1000 exceeded the cost of our stay, meaning that the Sheraton Centre City was tying up my funds based on their belief that I would be incurring charges of hotel services. I have not experienced this practice at other hotels and found it somewhat insulting. Perhaps the hotel thought I would be buying one of their $4.50 dollars of bottled water they left in the room, but like many other overpriced services at the hotel, we opted to not use them. Had we not been promised free Internet services, we surely would have used it less, as $12.95 is $3 more than I have paid for similar services in any hotel I have stayed at in the past decade, including those in New York City, Columbus, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Orlando and San Diego.

Being summer, we were looking forward to using the hotel's pool. The stark reality of the pool, however, we as disappointing. While the pool on the 9th floor did provide an excellent view of Monument Circle, that did little to make up for the fact that it was badly in need of repair. Cracks were visible throughout, and the pool has no steps, only ladders. This made the pool inaccessible for my 8 year-old without my help. Worse, the ladders were no longer bolted properly to the side of the pool, making them less safe. The sharp drop-off of the pool made it less family-friendly, as well, so that I needed to keep my 11 year-old in a small confined area of the pool to ensure her safety.

Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Unfortunately, the room had its share of problems, as well. The door jammed every time we used it, often requiring us to spend a full minute just to open it. There were signs the door had been modified with some metal attachments and that's why it stuck. Some of the electrical sockets had faulty wiring and would sometimes work and sometimes not, as I discovered when trying to charge my laptop and our cell-phones. The air-conditioning also malfunctioned several times, changing its output dramatically from night to night, without us changing the thermostat or settings. This resulted in us being freezing cold one night and sweating in bed the next.

While I compliment the hotel staff for their general overall friendliness, this was overshadowed by their general lack of knowledge of what do when presented with requests. This was best illustrated when it came time to check out of the hotel. By the end of our stay, I wasn't surprised that our bill showed the charge for Internet service that we'd been told would be free as billed to our account. While courteous, it was clear the desk clerk had no idea about the issue. He then provided the last part of our dissatisfaction for our stay when we 'validated' our parking for the stay. I paid the fee and then went to our car. As we attempted to exit the lot and begin a 10 hour car ride, we found the system said our ticket indicated we had not paid. I stepped out of our car, walked directly through the glass doors and walked straight to the front desk. I then informed the clerk our ticket said we hadn't paid and wasn't allowing us to leave the lot. The clerk then offered that he could take my payment...FORGETTING THAT I HAD PAID HIM LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES AGO. When I pointed this out to him, he buzzed the front gate, allowing us to leave.

In summary, my family and I left the Sheraton in Indianapolis having had a good time DESPITE our stay at the hotel, which I remain unhappy about now, over a week later. I have paid less to stay in better hotels in larger cities and gotten better service. I expected better of a Sheraton hotel than this and it has lowered my opinion of the chain as a whole. I know for certain we will NEVER stay at this hotel again and I will be more cautious at staying at any Sheraton in the future.

• Liked — Closeness to the Convention Center
  • Disliked — Failure to provide services
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank WizarDru
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

We stayed two different nights within the same 2 weeks. The first night, children in the rooms next to us were very loud until after 2:00 a.m. The hotel was very nice, as was the staff. The second time we stayed we received excellent service (and checked in extremely late!). We were placed in a corner room with a beautiful view of the monument and a courtesy goodie bag. Since we had been travelling late, the little perks and goodies were greatly appreciated. Also, it is a great hotel if you are going to a downtown event, with easy access to venues and great eateries.

• Liked — Staff, location, free upgrades!
  • Disliked — Noisey neighbors
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

This is a great place to stay if you are looking for some city living for a few days. The mall and many good restaurants are only few blocks away. Every staff member we came in contact with was very friendly and accommodating. We booked through Hotwire, so we didn't know what Hotel we were getting until we paid. I was kind of nervous after reading some of the reviews. The place is better than most of the reviews I have read on here. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with a great view of the city. My only complaint is that the pool isn't really a good pool for children. It's about 5 feet at its shallow end and is a little cooler than what a indoor heated pool at some of the other hotels would be. Other than that, I really liked being able to swim outside and on the 9th floor!! Great view of the city from the pool deck. Very relaxing. The hallways were a little cool, but I was completely happy with the room temperature and only had to make one adjustment. Some of the hotels I've stayed in require me to make adjustments all night. Overall great experience. I would definitely stay again.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — No shallow end in pool.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

Tall people beware!!! If you are over 6 foot 5 inches, you will be too tall to walk down the hallways at the Sheraton--the ceilings in the hallway and bathroom are low! The mirror in the bathroom also hangs down low and all my husband could see was from his neck down. There is also no other mirror in the room except for one that is on a closet door that does not stay open. The room has updated decor, but they need to dust the wood cornice above the drapes as it was dusty and fingerprinted--GROSS! The pillows get flat quickly! The thermostat was set at sixty degrees, probably about a good 25 degrees off in my estimation because the room was hot, hot hot!
The attached parking lot is tight and low also--use caution.
The best thing about the room is the flat screen TV, but it will be too hot to enjoy it.
The Westin or Marriott in downtown Indy would be a better choice.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Hot room, low ceilings
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business