“Beware - this hotel does not honor online reservations”

Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel
Ranked #48 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I made reservations for two rooms at the Sheraton Indianapolis for Saturday, November 3rd, 2012. As the Indianapolis marathon and a Colts game were happening over the week, I made reservations in September to make sure we wouldn't have trouble finding a place to stay. I made these reservations through Southwest Airlines, as they had a special with the hotel that guaranteed bonus points for the stay. With confirmation number in hand, we drove from Chicago to Indianapolis looking forward to getting checked in the hotel quickly so we could watch the football game that afternoon.

When we arrived at the hotel, there were no bellhops outside. In fact, there was no one from the hotel to be seen anywhere. Cars were all over the place with flashers on and spilling out of the holding lane in front of the hotel - not a good sign. My girlfriend had to run into the hotel to find someone to ask if we could safely leave the car out front to check-in. They said we should leave our car outside while checking in so we could receive a hotel-specific parking ticket, so we put on our flashers on as and went inside.

Once there, I gave my last name and the confirmation number we received when booking the hotel. The girl at the front desk looked puzzled and could not find the reservation. Somehow, between the reservation system at Southwest and the hotel itself the entry had never made it into their system. Perplexed, she went into the back to talk to a manager for a few minutes. She came back and told us that the hotel was full, but that they would be happy to get us a hotel room at another downtown hotel and were truly sorry for the mixup. We understand that mistakes happen, so we told her it was fine and that we would wait for a few minutes while she figure out arrangements. She went back to talk to a manager yet again.

This is when things starting going downhill. After about fifteen minutes, the front desk agent returned, and started assisting other customers rather than acknowledging us while we waited at the front desk waiting to be told what was going on. When we finally got her attention and were able to ask what was going on and her response was completely different than what we had heard before- rather than saying "we'll find you another hotel", the response became "it's not our fault the reservation didn't go through, sorry. We're not going to help you find another hotel".

I called Southwest at this point to get more information from their side - it turns out this hotel's system is completely non-automated. Online booking agencies like Southwest, Hotels.com or Expedia actually send a fax to the Sheraton where someone has to manually key in the reservation. Apparently their data entry clerk could not possibly make a mistake, so we were just out of luck. I asked if we were going to get our money back as I had already paid for both rooms in full. I also asked about the Sheraton covering the difference for a similar hotel. The front desk agent said no, since it was not the hotel's fault and they wouldn't be helping us in any way. She then turned and went back to helping other customers.

Feeling very frustrated, we finally asked to speak to a manager. A manager named Nick finally came over to talk to us after spending several minutes staring off into space and pretending to be busy on his computer. Rather condescendingly, he told us it was our fault that we did not have a reservation. I asked if they were still even looking for another hotel for us, and he scoffed - his actual words were "Why would I look for a hotel for you?" (emphasis on the "you" as if we were some homeless people attempting to stay in his fine establishment). Rather than escalate the situation, I hit the phones. No need to lower myself to a person like that. Terrible, awful, no good, very horrible customer service.

When a hotel treats a customer like this, you know it rolls downhill. The management at this hotel does not care about customer service; they don't even bother having anyone outside the front door to greet customers and answer their questions. I can only imagine the quality of the rooms with such rude and disinterested management. If Nick worked at my company and treated customers like that he wouldn't last long. I can't believe someone with such horrible people skills is put in a management position.

Lucky for us, the Hyatt in Indianapolis had rooms available. When we called to book rooms, they went above and beyond to apologize for the horrible service we had received at their competitors' hotel. They were very accommodating with our last minute request for two rooms. When we got to the hotel and we were instantly greeted by a team of valets, were welcomed to the hotel, were checked in within minutes, and had a wonderful time.

Moral of the story, don't stay at the Sheraton in Indianapolis. After my experience, I will never stay at a Sheraton again. If for some reason you absolutely have to stay there, do NOT make an online reservation. Their 90s-era "fax and enter" system has no accountability and the front of house staff will treat you horribly. Just avoid the headache and stay elsewhere. I'll be sharing the same information with the various online travel sites to hopefully get this hotel removed until they can fix their back of house processes.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shaggy_C
Scott H, General Manager at Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Shaggy_C,

Thank you for your posting, I was quite disturbed to read about the level of service you received from the team members you encountered when you attempted to check in to our hotel.

There is simply no excuse for the many and varied failures on our part. It appears that you did catch us at our worst, and for that I deeply apologize. I have taken immediate action to ensure that other guests are not subjected to the inconveniences and lack of proper service that you described. Please accept my sincere apologies for not living up to our usual high levels of service and hospitality.

It is important to me that we attempt to restore your faith in us, it would be greatly appreciated if you would contact me personally so I can ask for forgiveness and discuss what if anything we can do to make things right for you.

Again thank you for taking the time to write, I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to show you our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you properly.

Scott Hagen

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed there one night on a business trip. Good location in downtown, service was superb all the way from check-in to check-out the next day. As SPG Gold member, got upgraded to the suite, that was large and comfortable. Access to Club level was also a nice touch. Room furnishings and design were not the greatest, in my opinion, but everything was clean and functional. No complaints about sleep quality and bed either. The only little caveat: Internet wasn't free, and this is a serious shortcoming in my book. For SPF Preferred guests it is free sometimes, but it wasn't a case. It is not about money as is, this is more of the basic rights for traveller nowadays: free wi-fi, large hotel chains in US are falling behind with this amenity, not sure why?!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Nick A, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Freiburg13,

We would like to thank you for filling out a review on TripAdvisor.com. It was a pleasure to have an SPG member like yourself stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and it is important that we are exceeding our guest expectations. We offer our Sheraton Link Experience with Microsoft complimentary for our guests to meet this requirement. We are glad that the suite you were upgraded to for your SPG status was exceeding your expectations. Thank you again for filling out a review and we look forward to your return as one of our many loyal SPG members.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed there for the Monumental Marathon. The room is pretty small, but clean.
If you ask for a Circle view and they have an available room, it is totally worth it. The view was unbelievable.
The beds are very comfortable, pillows are very fluffy (great), blankets are very light and very warm.
There is no complimentary breakfast.
There is a 7% Sale tax at the end and 10% additional tax. So your bill at the end is quite big.

Room Tip: Higher floor with a Circle view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Radmila26,

Thank you for filling out a review on tripadvisor.com. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad that we had met your expectations during your most recent visit. Please feel free to explore our wonderful breakfast packages that we have to offer when you plan on returning in the future. We hope you did well in the marathon and look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here one night for Marathon weekend. The location is great. Close to start/finish. There was a long line to check in, but we are gold members so we were able to check in with the preferred line-which was very quick. Front staff very nice. We were upgraded to a suite. We were a little concerned because it looked like a wedding party was close to us, but our room was really quiet. It was great. Room seems a little old, but was very clean. Close to all the downtown restaurants. I would def. stay here again. Check out was noon.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

DavidandKim,

Thank you for filling out a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback as it is a true perspective of how central our hotel is to all the local attractions. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is my second year in a row staying here for annual Indianapolis Monumental Marathon the hotel is pretty nice relatively clean very easy to access getting on and off the highway, Great view of the city. When checking in/out the front desk was very understaffed but was quickly resolved when the line started to really backup. The walls in the hotel seem to be very thin i could clearly hear a phone conversation that was going on in the room next to me. I was a little disappointed that they could not accommodate a late check out for me with out charging half a days room rate but i guess i can understand seeing as they were very busy that particular weekend. All in all i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Chris M,

Thank you for contribution to the success of our hotel. Your review on trip advisor provided us the feedback we needed to ensure the impression of our front desk being understaffed is not given off moving forward. We apologize if you had to wait longer than usual to check in and we hope that the rest of your visit to our hotel left a warm memory of our property. We continue to make every effort to exceed our guests expectations and your feedback is appreciated.

We look forward to your return

Best regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed for a couple nights on business trip. I am Platinum SPG member. Was not upgraded to suite as they were sold out that week. Did get access to lounge. Standard breakfast items in the morning. eggs and sausage and other cold items. Hotel was very clean and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms are large and clean. Beds very comfortable. Central air so nice and quiet. Large flat screen TVs with HiDef. Wifi was strong and fast. Only issue I could say needs fixing was water pressure in the shower.

Would definitely stay here again when in town.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler_ko,

Thank you for filling out such a wonderful review of our hotel. You being a Platinum member we sincerely apologize that there were no upgrades available when you arrived. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations during your most recent stay even though we did not provide the upgrade. We look forward to your continuing loyalty to our hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at the hotel with some co-workers for the IAA Convention 2012. The location was perfect and the fact that they have a Starbucks inside the lobby was amazing! I believe they are doing some remodeling, I saw crews in and out of a few rooms. The only thing I would comment negative on was the front desk staff. They were very friendly however we had booked a room with 2 double beds, since there were 2 of us in each room. At check-in they stated they didn't have any double beds available so they were going to upgrade us to a suit, sounds great right? It was very exciting until we entered the room and realized they only have 1 bed! When we called the front desk they told us one of us could use the pull out couch. Neither of us were a fan of this idea and were told the next night we could be switched to a double. After arriving the next afternoon following our work functions we stopped at the front desk to see about the switch. She told us to go ahead up to our room and she would call us when housekeeping was done cleaning the new one. After waiting nearly 3.5hrs we called the front desk only to find that they had forgotten! After finally getting our new room, and having our own beds, the rest of the stay was great! The guys at the front door were very helpful and polite! I loved that the parking garage was attached to the hotel and we didnt have a long walk. I would stay here again :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Andrea B,

Thank you for filling out a review of our hotel on tripadvisor.com. We appreciate the wonderful feedback you have provided. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We are always striving to exceed our guest’s expectations and have put in place new procedures to ensure a situation like your does not happen in the future. Your continuing loyalty to our hotel is important so please feel free to contact our Front Office Manager to handle your future accommodations. We look forward to your return in the near future.