“Unsafe!!! Beware of Thefts!”
Review of Omni Severin Hotel

Omni Severin Hotel
Ranked #17 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Atlanta, Georgia
“Unsafe!!! Beware of Thefts!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Business travelers beware! This Omni Hotel has been targeted by criminals who steal computers, ipads, cameras, cell phones and pretty much anything of significant value to resell! I was there in early June for a medical conference on the mezanine level which connects to the Circle Center mall via a hall. Within 20 minutes of placing my laptop bag at the conference registration desk where multiple attendee bags were held for presenters, mine was stolen. The Omni DID NOT leap to action to help locate my belongings. In fact, the security even mentioned the connected hallway to the mall as the likely route my bag took when it exited their hotel! It was a unique rolling laptop bag yet the security claimed their cameras at exits including the mall did not show anyone taking my bag.....really! I filed a police report quickly. Within 10 days a detective had apprehended one of the criminals who still had my Tumi rolling laptop bag (my serial number on the bottom) with his clothes in it but all my belongings were gone. The detective told me the man was charged with 5 counts of theft for taking multiple items from the Omni hotel guests and that these criminals come by bus from Chicago to steal from Indianapolis hotel guests. Lesson learned....don't turn your back for even 1 minute at these hotels!!!! To this day, the Omni never followed up with me, never offered any compensation despite my attending a conference in their hotel and clearly the Omni's hotel security is of absolutely no help to guests! Given this situation, I have no intention of ever staying at the Omni again!!!! Yikes!!! Who wants to relive this nightmare? I even lost my wallet with money, credit cards, all my notebooks, research materials, flash drives, CDs, photos, 2 computers, canon camera.....everything in one bag! Lucky that I had my photo ID, $40 and a flashdrive in my pocket or I could not give my presentation, get a taxi to the airport and get on a plane home!! No thanks to the Omni........! No help from the hotel desk staff, manager or security!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! It's unsafe!!!!!
3 Thank Cherie H
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Severin Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
First we are sorry that your belongings were stolen during your recent trip. The hassle of having to replace items is not something we wish on any of our guests. Unfortunately there was a recent issue with a gentleman entering hotels downtown, including ours, and looking for opportunities to take unattended items. As you know, our hotel and many other downtown hotels are connected via a walkway that also connects to the convention center and the Circle Centre Mall. The gentleman was using these walkways to move from hotel to hotel. We worked closely with the IMPD to provide any information on the suspect and with the collective effort of hotels in the area, they were able to arrest the suspect. We take security at our hotel very seriously and our team is trained to be aware of any suspect individual in our building. Unfortunately sometimes despite our best efforts to safeguard against this activity, it still can happen. Again we’re sorry you were the target, but we hope you know we did everything in our power by working with the police department to locate your bag.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Nice Location, close to everything downtown. Very close to Banker's Life Fieldhouse. Friendly staff, comfy beds, clean rooms. The only negative was the rooms were a touch on the small side, but for the price and location can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Severin Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We appreciate your taking time to post a review. We do have larger suites available if you would like more space. Please come back next time you're in Indianapolis.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights in May 2013 for the Do It Best Hardware Show. Wonderful hotel, very convenient to the convention center and to many great restaurants. Would stay here again. Very clean, upscale. Nice decor, friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Huntingdon
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here whilst visiting Indianapolis or the indy 500.

The hotel was nice and close to the greyhound and Amtrak station. The hotel is also a short walk from the mall.

Check in was nice and quick even with all of the people arriving. The room was very spacious and had everything you would need.

The hotel was lovely and had a small pool and a gym the pool was also nicely heated.

We had a few meals at the hotel and the food generally was very good but it was quite expensive to eat there. The bar was good and all of the staff were knowledgeable about the local drinks

• Stayed May 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Staff was great and hotel location downtown is excellent. Rooms are Ok. The decor was nice and the beds were comfortable but very low to the ground. Rooms shades let in a little light. Overall I would recommend the hotel.

Stayed June 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Beautiful hotel in downtown Indianapolis. Friendly staff, excellent lobby decor with history, quiet lounge & bar, We were on the 12th floor. Front Office staff very helpful as was the valet parking which was very convenient. Our luggage was delivered to our room expeditiously. Rooms were tastefully decorated with all the fringes associated with a classy hotel. Exercise Room & Swimming Pool were as nice as it could be. Breakfast & general room service was very good and classy with choice of two newspapers. Check out was excellent as was the check in. Starbucks at the edge / corner of the hotel was a good idea. Internet and TV service were of superb quality under the Deluxe Package. I would certainly stay there again for ease of convenience to offices and tourist attractions around it as much as for the service and hospitality of the staff.

Room Tip: If the room could be a bit bigger and view better, Omni Severin Hotel would be a knock out for the v...
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Nicely furnished and arranged room. Conference facilities worked well for our group of just over 100. Exercise room is a little small but completely functional. Location is convenient. Friendly and professional staff. Conference hotel room rate was fabulous!

Would have given 5 "stars" but unfortunately my room wasn't ready until an hour after check in and they initially sent me to the wrong room. In fairness to them, they had apparently had a very large group check out that morning and then were having multiple groups check in on the day I was checking it.

All in all, a very nice place that is reasonably priced with friendly service in an unique historical building.