“OUTSTANDING Stay. Lives up to the Omni name!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Omni Severin Hotel

Omni Severin Hotel
Ranked #12 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Tinton Falls, New Jersey, Usa
“OUTSTANDING Stay. Lives up to the Omni name!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

Okay, first a few things out of the way....

I am not a hotel employee. I am a real business and pleasure traveler just like you who has had the opportunity to stay at many hotels over the course of a year. Check my other reviews on TripAdvisor. I do a rather good job of telling things as they are.

When I stay at a hotel, I usually pick one that falls in the mid-price range. You know, the hotels that give you the best bang for the buck. For years my favorite hotel brand was Marriott. Can't beat their hotels. However, since doing more business conventions, I have found myself staying at Omni hotels. First, the one in Atlanta and now Indianapolis.

Quite frankly, if you are not here on business, I can't for the life of me think why anyone would come to Indianapolis. It's a nice city. Very clean. Nothing to see or do except perhaps the zoo or a football game. On my free day, I walked around the entire day and found nothing overly exciting here. There are, however, very good restaurants close to the hotel.

Oh, back to the hotel....

They say the first impression is a lasting one. From the moment I arrived, I felt I was being treated like a VIP. I stepped out of the town car (Carey Indiana - EXCELLENT) and there were several bellboys at the door entrance eager to assist and open the door for me. I walk in, and there is a very lovely woman bidding me "Good Morning." I get to the desk, and though I am several hours early, I am quickly checked in and handed a room key.

Since I was here on business, I booked three rooms for myself and my partners. They were all under my name, yet the hotel desk was very good about assigning the rooms to my partners and making certain that we were located together.

My room was on the 11th floor, 1110. It was practically next to the elevator.

Complaints have run amok here that the rooms in this Omni are small. I suspect so, due to the fact that this a hotel that was converted from something else. However, if you book a room with double beds (instead of a King) you are getting a larger room, essentially going from 180 to 244 square feet. So, the double bed room that I had didn't especially seem tiny at all. Perhaps the bathroom is smaller than I have seen elsewhere, but I made perfectly do with the space I had available.

The room was very clean. Lots of closet space, an iron and electronic safe in the room. The television was a Panasonic flat screen HD. I don't know what signal the hotel is getting, but the picture pixelated often even though the weather was fine. They really need to do something about their TV signal.

One thing everyone must do is join their rewards program. It is free by going to the Omni website. It allows you free WiFi and complimentary beverage in the morning delivered to your room. I am guessing I am at the second-tier GOLD status. I love the fact that before I go to sleep I fill out a little form requesting a carafe of coffee, juice or water to be sent to my room and when I wake up, there is a little tray outside my door along with a newspaper. All that is totally complimentary just because I am a rewards member. I think, even at the bottom rung of the program, you get all those amenities. Certainly something more than I get from something like the Marriott.

Bed was very comfortable. Lots of pillows. A plug next to it to charge my iPhone. A desk with plug outlets. Very, very nice indeed.

If I have ONE complaint it's the loud air-conditioning in the room. It turns on and off according to the thermostat settings. Of course, many of us like a cold room to snuggle beneath the covers with. The thermostat goes to 60 degrees. However, every time the air conditioning comes on, it makes a loud, grinding noise that makes sleeping impossible. So, I pretty much had to turn the air conditioner off at night.

If hotel management is reading this (and I am certain they are), I am hoping you can fix the air conditioner noise in that room by the time I return next year.

Another problem (not the fault of the hotel) is the noise from the street below. My window was facing the Claddagh Irish Pub. On the weekends, it is a noisy hotspot. Now, on the 11th floor it really didn't bother me. However, I feel sorry for those on the lower floors. There is no escaping that noise. And really, there is no escaping street noise as the hotel is surrounded by nightlife activity practically on all sides.

If I can sneak one more problem in the mix it would be the elevators. There are only two that I know of off of the lobby. They are small. They are rather slow. During conventions (and remember, there are conventions here almost weekly) those elevators turn into local cars that stop at every floor and get crowded rather quickly.

We were fortunate enough to snag the breakfast package for our stay. Usually breakfast costs $17 for the buffet, we got it at an extra room rate of $10 per night. Totally worth it. Nice selection of fruits, yogurts, breads, cereals, eggs, sausage and bacon, french toast or pancakes (alternates by day) and an omelet station where a cook makes them fresh for you. My favorite was the biscuits and gravy that were available every morning.

If you don't get the breakfast package and want to eat cheaper, you don't have to walk far to find an eatery.

Back to the hotel....

On my final morning, I had shared car service waiting with Carey Indiana. I am standing outside of the hotel with my luggage at 5:40am. The bellboy was extremely helpful in making certain that I got to my town care as generally, they can drive up to any one of two locations at the hotel. He went out of his way to look for the car and alert the driver of my presence. It was another one of those special moments where I felt like, "Wow, they really are attentive to people's needs here."

So, as you probably have gathered by now, I highly recommend this hotel. Yeah, I have read a few of the negative reviews posted on TripAdvisor -- and I am certain they are legitimate complaints -- but I would have to side with many more that are giving the highest accolades to this hotel and their service. From the moment you arrive, the staff goes out of their way to open doors for you and make you feel welcome.

I look forward to returning next September.
For dinner we thoroughly enjoyed Harry & Izzy's, a few feet from the hotel, which has an excellent variety of food at reasonable prices and casual attire. We also ate at the Brazilian Steakhouse, Fogo de Chao, which is a 5-minute walk. If you have never tried a Brazilian Steakhouse, this is the world's most renowned chain. We even enjoyed milkshakes at Steak & Shake across the street. Damn good -- eat with a spoon -- you get a very large glass topped with whip cream and a cherry for $3.95. Tremendous bargain, and really, I was surprised how good they were.

The Circle Center Mall is connected by a skyway. To be honest, nothing really special about this mall. Not even an Apple store inside. The mall was mostly dead, and nothing really caught my eye about it.

Of course, all the hotels in the area connect to the Indianapolis Convention Center by a sky walkway. However, taking that walkway from the Omni to the Convention Center will waste 12 minutes of your life. A horribly, long haul that takes you through the mall and beside a parking garage. However, you can get to the convention center in 4 minutes if you simply walk outside and across South Illinois and South Capitol streets.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RonboNJ
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Severin Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
We really appreciate the thorough review and the kind words about our hotel. As far as the AC noise issue, we will definitely take a look with our engineering team and do our best to limit the volume. We certainly don't want anyone losing sleep.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Polish first
Grand Island NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed here for a wedding. Booked the room as a deal that was provided to the wedding guests. Being from out of town we found the location to be fantastic. Wish I had realized how nice the city was. I would have probably stayed another day or so. The hotel is close to many great restaurants, stores and to Lucas Oil Field, home of the Colts. The hotel is very clean and appears to have recently been updated. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My only issue and it was a minor one was that our room was rather small. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Indianapolis. I would just request a larger room.

• Stayed September 2011
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad we could win you over as a guest during your stay for the wedding. We certainly have larger rooms available and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Indianapolis.
Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The hotel is obviously managed well and is spotlessly clean. It is physically nice but not exceptional. The service was outstanding: The staff were helpful and professional -- special kudos to Christy at the front desk who was knowledgeable, professional, and offered excellent recommendations about restaurants, shops and so on.

One suggestion about the guest rooms: The bathrooms are small and have VERY little counter space for shaving kits, makeup bags, hair dryer, etc. It would be easy and SO useful to have a few small glass or plexiglass shelves on the wall.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank FoodWallah
Albion, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

The room was so small, not enought outlets to do hair. Bathroom was dirty when we arrived(dirt and hair on the floor behind the door and toilet had not been cleaned under the seat), no exhaust fans. Fire alarms went off three times starting at 11:00 at night! We were on the 7th floor and evacuated by way of stairs because that is what the intercom said to do. When we got to the first floor we were told it was a prank and for us to walk back up to our room(That is 14 flights of stairs i had to climb and I am 52!!!)! We told of our disapointment to the consierge and desk clerk who did not show any concern or seem to care, just stated that it is a Historic Hotel. For the price I paid, I was extremely dissatisfied!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carol B
Brownsburg, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

My husband and I spent a nice weekend getaway in downtown Indy in August. First, the location of the hotel is great. It is connected by the skywalk to Circle Centre Mall, the convention center and several other hotels. There are multiple good restaurants within easy walking distance. Lucas Oil Stadium is also very close. Lots of options for things to do are nearby.
We opted to use valet parking. Price is $27/day with unlimited in/out privileges. There apparently is a self parking garage nearby that costs nearly as much without in/out privileges, so we used valet. Only left via car once and car was waiting for us when we got downstairs from our room.
Our check in went without problems. Front desk staff was cordial and efficient. We were in our room within 15 minutes of walking in the front door.
We had a two room suite. Room was a nice size. Living room area had a sofa sleeper, chairs, desk, nice size flat screen as well as a bar and in room snacks. Bedroom was a separate room with french doors between the two rooms. This room was also a nice size with a big screen TV. Bed linens were mostly comfortable-four king sized pillows provided. (See below.)
Bathroom was more along the lines of a Holiday Inn bathroom...okay but not great. There were more bath amenities than Holiday Inn, though.
We had a "romance" package for our reservation which included sparkling wine, truffles and breakfast (included "valentinis.") The sparkling wine and truffles were okay, not great. Breakfast at Severin Bar was very good with an omelet bar, Belgian waffle bar and lots of other options including meats, fresh fruits and cereals. Included valentinis were quite potent....stick with the mimosa.
Check out was quick and efficient; no problems at all.
My only complaint regarding this hotel was a cleaning issue. Our ice bucket had water from a previous guest's melted ice. Honestly, not a big issue as plastic liner was used and a new liner was provided.
Two of the pillows (4 total) had a very bad smell....dirty, oily hair smell. The pillowcases themselves looked fine, but the smell was very strong. Either the pillowcases were not changed between guests or there is a problem with the pillows themselves. We didn't discover the problem until late so didn't call downstairs. We could use the other pillows provided.
Other issue I had was there was a lot of street noise. We were on the 5th floor and had no problem hearing people/cars on the street below. There is also construction right next to the hotel. We didn't have any problems with construction noise over the weekend, but with the noise from normal activities being a problem, I would be concerned about the noise from construction.
Overall, we enjoyed the stay and would stay here again, even with the issues noted.

Room Tip: Check package options!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Severin Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
We apologize for the cleaning issues. Please call housekeeping and we'll be happy to help no matter how late it is. We're also sorry about the noise, but we have quite a few bars and restaurants nearby and it can get a little noisy on weekends. We're glad that the rest of your stay was great and thanks for choosing to stay with us during your weekend getaway.
Harrison
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Stayed here for a girls weekend away. Our room was a king business suite. Nice size room, clean linens, 2 closets (which is unusual). Lots of options for areas to get ready (i.e. put on makeup, do hair etc) which was nice for sharing a room with another female. At breakfast at the Severin Grille. Was concerned with watching my diet- not to worry. The buffet had many,many gluten free options along with fruit, yogurt- even gluten free granola. Along with artisan style bread and all the normal goodies you lucky non-fat challenged people can eat.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
We're proud to have dining options in the Severin Grille that meet vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free restrictions. Just ask and we'll be happy to answer any questions. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

We finished a road trip from mammoth cave, ky with a stop in Indy. The omni was a welcome luxury after staying at roadside motels in rural areas. We entered into a beautiful lobby and staff was friendly and welcoming. I just booked a regular room with two queen beds and after I received my room, the front desk handed me these two backpacks with toys and crayons for the kids. They loved it!!!

The room was clean, bright and felt new. Beds were comfy with down bedding. Large flat screen, mini bar and dry snacks - good bath toiletries. Typical 4 star. One neg may be the bathroom was small and warm, I didn't see a vent. We were only staying one night so it didn't really effect us.

My girls were playing in the lobby, pretending to be princesses and ballerinas and a security stopped and started chatting with us and gave us the history of the room and the hotel. He also took the girls and us to see the grand ballroom. We were impressed.

This hotel is connected to nordstroms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
The hotel definitely has a lot of history. The chandelier hanging in our grand ballroom was made by the same company around the same time as the ones that hung in the Titanic. It's one of the best places to have a wedding. Please stay with us next time you're planning a stop in Indianapolis.