“Good hotel, stay away from the restaurant”

Indianapolis Marriott East
Ranked #1 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed May 27, 2007

The room was nice and had the great mattresses that Marriott seems to be putting in to most of its rooms. The upgrades that have been noted in other reviews have made this a nice hotel to stay in, but stay away from the restaurant. Food was mediocre and inconsistent. My wife's baked potato was so hard and cold that it would not melt butter. The server was very sweet and tried to see if we could get part of my wife' s meal comp'ed. Manager who came over looked at us like we were trying to pull something and tried to shove a free desert on us instead. We didn't really want one and would have preferred, given her attitude that she would have just left us alone.

Stayed: May 2007
Write a ReviewReviews (1,835)

Reviewed March 13, 2007

Looking at the comments of travelers in 2004 I felt this hotel deserves a more recent pat on the back. They really know what hospitality means. The staff is excellent and the new bedding made for the best nights sleep my husband and I have ever had, it was even better than home. While it is an older hotel, they have made some recent renovations that make it feel new and welcome again. The restaurant Indy Steak and Rib, while the ribs are devine, the reuben and fries are out of this world. If your in Indianapolis and want great service, the Marriott East is our first recommendation.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Coyote71
Reviewed December 13, 2006

DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH! (Please note, they are going through some construction, but are VERY accommodating)

I had booked 3 rooms at the Hampton Inn across the street from this Marriott. (See my review on Hampton Inn East) Long story short, the Hampton Inn cancelled my reservations due to my having an Indianapolis address. (again, read my review) Anyway, I contacted the Marriott directly and they went above and beyond for my group!

3 rooms, same floor, 2 connecting. Rooms were very clean and spacious. We had a total of 16 people and it worked out just fine. They have upgraded their bedding and toiletries and are giving Starwood a run for their money! (I travel a lot for business and am a "Starwood Snob") Plenty of towels and toiletries for our entire group.

Pool area was great for the kids (ages 8-9, girls) There is both an indoor and outdoor that are connected (seasonal) and there is a very large sitting area with patio tables for the parents to watch. We held an impromptu birthday party for one of the girls in the pool area and there was plenty of room.

Bar was small but the bartender was great. Drinks were reasonably priced.

Dining: The Marriott comp'd our breakfasts (~$150). They have a buffet with made to order omlets, waffles, and such. They gave us our own private dining area. (On Sundays they have a large brunch.)

They are in the midst of some construction to improve the facility. Other than that, they were a great choice for us and I will recommed them in the future.

• Stayed: December 2006
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank lcloud
Reviewed March 16, 2006

I stayed here in March for only one night. Normally when I am in this area I stay at the Fairfield Inn also in the Marriott Center. However, it was sold out the night I was staying. The Marriott was undergoing renovation and I think the room I stayed in had already been renovated, as far as a new bed and bedding. I had a king room, on the fourth floor which was a concierge floor, but of course the lounge was closed on the weekend. The bed was very comfortable and all the amenities in the room wonderful--nice shampoo, lotion, and a sewing kit (I usually stay in Courtyards or Fairfields so I'm not used to these items being in rooms).

The bathroom was small, but I had no problems with this--the shower head provided a nice massaging shower.

The restaurant's food was ok. I had dinner and breakfast, no major complaints.

The only problem I had was upon checkin--the lady may have been overworked, but she was not at all friendly.

There was a nice pool and exercise center, though I didn't use it.

As long as you don't pay too much for this hotel, I recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank skyeport
Reviewed October 7, 2005

Stayed at this property one night on our way back from a Maine vacation. This property is definitely showing its age. The ceilings were very low and the place has a very closed design would would indicate its advanced age. The rooms were average. The staff was friendly however and when I inquired about an upgraded room (I am a Platinum member) I was told due to an American Legion convention that no suites were available. They did accomodate me with one of the rooms available with their new massage chairs and that was great!

On checking in we had to dodge a couple dozen drunken American Legionnaires but this was no fault of the Marriott.

The value was O.K. but I would definitely spend my money across the parking lot at the much newer and nicer Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank rockchalktraveler
Reviewed August 6, 2005

Well, they have these air conditioning units on the wall, the kind that you find in a Motel 6 - they are supposed to be thermostatically cpntrolled, but they aren't. I was tjere fpr 2 nights 8/2to 8/3 this year - your choice is to cut the noise and sweat like a pig, or hear the roar of the air unit all night long. I chose to sleep quietly, but sweat. The room never got below 84 degrees. One morning, they forgot my room service order - I'm waiting patiently, finally call, and thet say they never got it ( it's the kind you ahng off the door ). They did nothing to resolve or address the room temperature conditions, because they were sold out. They did offer to send up a fan, so I could move the hot air around and have even more noise. This place must be very old, because there is no HVAC system on the rooms - only the Motel 7 wall units. What a nigtmare. I checked out a day early and went home. Also, the Concierge floor is a joke.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank ficoguy
Reviewed July 4, 2005

This hotel was OK. The staff was very nice. We were in the middle of a convention so it was real busy. I think the rooms need to be updated, but they were clean. I would stay again. We were upgraded from the Fairfield across the street where I had reservations originally.

• Stayed: June 2005