“Henry makes a difference” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indianapolis Marriott East

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Indianapolis Marriott East
Ranked #1 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis
“Henry makes a difference”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Each quarter I attend the Emergency Nurse's Association meeting at the hotel and each time I'm pleased to see Henry. Fantastic, charming, charismatic individual! Henry, you make all the difference. Keep up the great work.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

When you first drive up and enter the hotel, it's really very impressive looking. All very nice. Especially for the part of town it's in. This place is way above its surroundings. Our destination was IUPUI downtown, so this was just a destination at the end of the day, fortunately. One saving grace was that there is a Starbuck's a block away... with a drive-through!

As for the property itself, it appears that it's a merged building or an add-on to a conference center. As mentioned in other reviews, this was like traversing a maze. The layout of this hotel is a mess. And yes, the elevators were very slow indeed. The room we had was nice enough and spacious.

But this is where the semi-positive ends.

I made my reservation over six months before our check-in date. I requested a room with two beds. A few weeks prior to our arrival, I checked the reservation online to ensure that I had specified a two bed room. Still OK. On the check-in day, I called ahead because we were going to have a late check-in (after midnight) and asked the clerk if we had a two bed room. He said that it showed a King bed room but that he would change us to a two bed room. When we arrived, they informed us that we had a King bed room... and that there were no two bed rooms available for any time during our entire four day stay. So, I asked for a roll-away to be delivered to our room for the final two nights. Well, on the day the roll-away was to be delivered to our room, I called the front desk at 5pm to ask about the roll-away. They told me that there were no roll-away beds left in the entire hotel! Of course, they were happy to let me pay for a "hospitality room" (fold away wall bed) if I needed a second bed. How many strikes is that? But who's counting!

Then we found out why beds were at a premium the weekend we were there. There was a large group that had contracted the conference center and many hundreds of rooms. It runs out that it was a Christian Leadership Conference group consisting of families - parents and children. And, when they signed the contract, there was a clause that did not allow alcohol in sight on the premises. So, the hotel closed down the bar. And patrons could not have any kind of alcohol in the bar/lobby area or anywhere else in the public areas. Now mind you, there was an entire section of the building where the conference was taking place where families could be and not have to come to the bar area. But instead, it was the rest of the hotel patronage that had to be hidden away from view if we wanted to have a drink. Did I mention that the NCAA Men's basketball regionals were going on that weekend... and that the bar had several big screen TVs carrying all of the games from around the country? But, if we wanted to hang out and have a beer and watch the games... we couldn't! The group may have signed a contract with an alcohol clause. But none of us signed a contract that removed amenities from our stay at the hotel. OK, if the group had 100% occupancy and they were the only patrons, I don't have a problem with whatever terms they wanted. But the fact is that they were not the only people there and every other patron had their stays "restricted" w/o any say. And the hotel made not amends for that in any way.

Although this stay was a particularly bad experience, it was not the first time I've had things go wrong at a Marriott property. Since the group we're with travels to our sons' swim meets, we like to hang out together. The parents setting up the hotels for the season's meets apparently is a Marriott frequent traveler. We tend to stay at Marriotts and Courtyards. My experience has been that something is always not quite right with any of my stays. It's just that this one was particularly bad, as I said, and warranted me writing them up in this negative review.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main hotel and not in the "tower".
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael I
Bowling Green, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We absolutely loved our lunch at the Marriott. Henry was the Hotel Assistant that got us seated and made sure we were pleased with everything. The food was great and the prices very reasonable.
Our room was also great except that we had to ask for towels and cups. When 4 people are in a room, we thought they should have planned for that and included 4 towels. the room was quiet and comfortable. We really enjoyed it. Some in our party took advantage of the pool area and loved it. All in all, a pretty nice weekend.
Henry is definitely an employee to value and keep around. Henry took a picture with us - calling us Henry's Angels. We loved it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Charleston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

But what we are really doing is having you walk through a maze to get to a small hallway to then wait on the slowest elevator possible to get to you room that is not actually a suite, but we call it that because it has a minifridge. Seriously, someone please tell me how room 671 is considered a suite? It's a room, end of story. I also tried the restaurant, oh wait, no I didn't because they wouldn't clear the table for me. They said they would get right to it and then I waited 15 minutes, yes that is correct, while they walked by me multiple times. I am enjoying my sun chips in my room. The internet is also incredibly slow. I will say the concierge host was fantastic. I wish I had gotten his name. I did use points for this night, but had I known this would have been the experience, I would have taken my points somewhere else. I am a Marriott Rewards Gold member. I'm not sure that I will be trying this one again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Crete, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Generally speaking, the hotel was very nice relative to layout, accommodations, restaurant, amd conference setting; however, there are some additional things that should be considered: 1) I was unable to microwave leftover food and there was no where to store it; low-end hotels have these accommodations, 2) the room layout was was not conducive to allowing mobility, and 3) the room service/cook staff was inefficient.

Despite what is mentioned above, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Sharpsville, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My mother and I have been attending the Farm Bureau Spring Conference for the last 5 years. We have gotten to know Henry during our stays. The service and help Henry provides to your customers is unmatched. Keep up the great service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Vincennes, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a tournament. We were pleasantly surprised with the friendly and helpful staff and their willingess to help with anything we needed. Rooms were very large and beds were very comfortable. We ate at the restaurant on site and the food was fantastic. We'll definitely stay in this hotel again if in the Indianapolis area.

Room Tip: Some of the elevators only go up to the third floor, so choose a room on the third floor or below an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends