“Theft at the Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
Ranked #21 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel before and the rooms are clean and staff mostly friendly (except the manager who is very rude), but a few weeks ago while there with many teenage girls for a dance convention we had two IPads stolen from the room. With the lack of security cameras on the floor we were not able to recover the stolen items. The hotel was not helpful (we had to call the Indianapolis police department) and the hotel offered us some free coffee for our trouble. Too little too late. Basically the hotel just said to bad for you! Not to mention the parking in Indianaplis is outrageous! No free wifi. Not good for a family trip.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank CD P
Hyattindindianapolis, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. First let us express that we are very sorry this happened to you. We know how an incident like this can shape your entire trip, especially an important one such as the dance competition. While it is seldom that something like this happens in our hotel, we do provide in-room safes as an added measure of security for our guests valuables.
Keith Spinden

Write a ReviewReviews (1,883)

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We came in on Amtrak at midnight, and it was just a short $4.80 cab ride to the hotel. Checkout is at noon so we slept in; I had a great workout on the nice machines, swam some (short!) laps in the indoor pool as locals strolled by outside all bundled up in the 18 degree cold! Nice hot tub too. Subway and Starbucks and a pizza place in the lobby. Our room was great, the hotel is beautiful and looks very convenient to walk anywhere downtown. Skyways to a mall too!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Hyattindindianapolis, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Linda H,
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy some of the amenities our hotel has to offer. Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Decent hotel, just not at a 4 or 5-star level. Clean, but bathtub drain didn't work, towels were rough. Toiletries consisted of shampoo, soap and conditioner. Lots of noise from the hallway. All could be dealt with, but I did not like the "HIDDEN" charges that are normally free at most 3 star hotels, not to mention 4 star or 5 star! Beware of the parking fee - 4 hours to 24 hours is $24 and they do not validate the parking! Parking garage is a nightmare to navigate and is not very well marked. Your alternative is Valet parking at $36. Internet is a minimum of $9.95 a day. Bottled water in the rooms - for $2 each. Just really wasn't happy with the hotel from a personal standpoint - must be geared toward indifferent business travelers who aren't paying for anything out of pocket. I won't stay here again for business or pleasure!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank deb1ohn

Dear deb1ohn,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please know that are parking charges as well as internet are in line with similar downtown Indianapolis hotels. I appreciate your feedback and also that you chose to stay with us.

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Did the self check - in only to find ourselves in a room with no window to the outside. Immediately went down to front desk and they gave is a new room. Which happened to be a connecting room. Go out for dinner, get back at midnight, only to discover I can here everything in the next room. Call front desk. No help, still hear noise. I just want to go to sleep. Seriously , I live in Chicago near a club, I have a high tolerance to noise. I travel to Indy and it's too loud. Can't believe I'm paying to sleep here.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chicagotoanywhere
Hyattindindianapolis, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Chicagotoanywhere,
Thank you for your recent feedback. Please accept my apology for your unfortunate noise issue. While it is seldom I get this complaint, I can understand how frustrating it can be when you want to get a good night sleep. I do appreciate your feedback and thank you for visiting Indy.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We had not stayed at a Hyatt before... I had convinced my husband to try it out because our friends were staying there. Before our visit, I read the reviews on trip advisor. Now that our weekend trip is over, I have to agree with some of the poor reviews i had read about. The elevators were just as described. Few elevators for the size of hotel and the amount of rooms and people needing to use the elevator. To go up to our room from the second floor (this is the floor to use to go to and from the convention center), we had to go. down first to the first floor just to guarantee a spot in the elevator to go up. More often than not, the elevator was ridiculously crowded. New arrivals would be aggravated that people would crowd in, but they hadn't been there long enough to know that there really wasn't another option! The room ventilation was terrible. After not being able to sleep much at all the first night, we decided to leave the heater off(even though it was 20 degrees out).. added covers to our beds.. the room temperature wasn't too bad... We thought that would be better than having the air from the heater blown on us all night.. constantly turning off and on. My husband was concerned about it making us sick. Valet service was similar to the reviews I had read about. We were visiting there for a events at the convention center that ended Sunday night. We needed to check out and put our bags in our truck. My husband waited by himself about 45 minutes for the valet to bring the truck.. When the valet arrived, the valet just watched my husband go back and forth to grab multiple bags. This is not the type of service we are used to, we typically stick with another brand of hotel, that we are members with... We had also called the front desk and was told that if we needed to stay until 3, it would be $50... and also as far as parking, we would be charges another day for valet if we didn't get our truck by 6. The front desk didn't even offer to let us stay slightly past 12. Last year, for the same convention, we had the same dilemma, and we were taken care of at another brand of hotel, sometimes it helps to try to make the customer's visit a little less stressful!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank js77777

Dear js77777,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate your comments and certainly understand some of your frustrations such as the wait for the elevators as well as the service from the valet. We are very flexible in regard to late check outs if we have the ability to be. Unfortunately on busy check in days we might not be able to accommodate those requests. As for the heat, we recently have done upgrades to our system so there is no longer that issue.
Again, I appreciate your feedback and I will certainly forward your comments to the valet company so that they can follow up appropriately.

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a trip to Indy. Very beautiful. Room was clean and nice. Great view from the room on the 17th floor. However, one should know that the hallways are open to the lobby below. So if you are uneasy about heights stick to the lower floors. Starbucks in the lobby is a plus. We requested a corkscrew and were provided with one to keep. It broke when open the bottle but the staff was more than helpful with resolving the issue.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank philstafferontherun
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed New Year's Eve and had a great time. Employees were very polite. The room was great. The beds were very comfy, as were the pillows. The shower was awesome. My one issue was that the bathroom did not have a vent. Other than that, everything was great!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple