We chose to stay at the Hyatt Regency for our Gencon 2012 trip, because of its location directly attached to the convention center. We made our reservations ahead of time, for a room for four, two double beds, Thursday through Sunday.
When we arrived at 10 AM on Thursday, we were told the rooms were not ready yet, and that the hotel would call us when they were ready. Fair enough. The hotel contacted us later that afternoon, and when we returned to the lobby, we were told that a room with two double beds was not available. The clerk gave us a room with one double bed, and had two rollaway beds sent up, as well as offering us a free breakfast card. Clearly, this was not what we paid for, especially when we saw it was a small, corner room that was obviously used for emergencies and extras. We took the room only because we would have had nowhere else to go, as Indy was mostly booked for Gencon.
That night (Thursday) one of us went down to the lobby and politely but firmly asked directly for a manager, and explained everything above. The night manager (I do not know his name, only that this was the night of August 16th, 2012) was wonderful. He told us that what had happened was not acceptable, and did the following:
- Discount on Thursday night's stay
- We would be given the correct room Friday
- Just leave our bags in the room, and the hotel will move everything for us.
On Friday, our things were in our new room by 10:30 AM. On Thursday, we had been pissed and ready to write four different nasty reviews of the hotel, especially since we could prove our reservations. On Friday, we were instead happy. After this point, and because of that manager, our stay was great. Everyone was friendly to us, including the car valets and the porters. When we wanted our car, it was there. When we needed help with piles of luggage, it was there. The pool and spa were clean and relaxing. The free breakfast (we still had that from earlier) was delicious and had many healthy options. Finally, the rooms were quiet and comfortable.
In conclusion, I recommend the hotel, not because of the good things that happened, but because of how the hotel handled the bad things that happened. We would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly renovated downtown hotel with a soaring 20 story atrium and vibrant, contemporary decor. 497 renovated guest rooms with high speed Internet access and clean, modern design compliment 25,000 square feet of meeting space with T1 high speed Internet access. Guest rooms feature luxurious bedding, marble bathrooms, large workstation with ample lighting, ergonomic seating, two dual line phones, refrigerators, coffeemakers, irons & boards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Jetsetter so you can book your Hyatt Regency Indianapolis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Indianapolis Hotel Indianapolis
- Indianapolis Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt Indianapolis